2018 Pre-Season

Discussion in 'Newcastle Knights Discussion' started by Billy, Nov 1, 2017.

1. EASBay17

EASBay17 Robbie Ross

will take a few injuries for amey to get a start, he would still be behind king in the pecking order youd think

2. Billy

Billy Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

If you ignore everything that happens between now and kickoff 2018, and just go on last year's form.

3. Thornborough92

Thornborough92 Scott Carter

Wonder if bennett is still after King, wouldnt be surprised to see him hit the highway after all the quality we've got coming in. Although i would be reluctant to lose a kid of his quality because lillyman has taken his spot for a year

4. EASBay17

EASBay17 Robbie Ross

true. you got them 2 starting up front in cup at this point?

5. Billy

Probably, but the minute either or both of them look nearly as good as Heighington or Lillyman - even for shorter minutes - they should get picked over them.

6. EASBay17

EASBay17 Robbie Ross

Yer agreed, i expect to see a bit of rotation around that last bench spot throughout the season

7. Kurriboy

Kurriboy David Lomax

Brown needs to get in Lambs ear now and promise the lad a good running in pre season trials to prove he should be 5/8. Get that competition for spots going now and give Lamb something to set his teeth in to. May get him to stay on with us.

Lefty and Beatell like this.
  8. rhugh89

rhugh89 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Pre-season update with Tony Ayoub: Week 5

Fri 1st December, 07:34PM

Week five of pre-season training has been much quieter than usual for the nib Newcastle Knights, as they prepare for the hard run before Christmas break.

Physical Performance Manager Tony Ayoub again sat down with Knights TV for an update on where they’re at.

“Week five is our down week,” Ayoub said.

“Given we’ve gone harder at the boys in the last few weeks, we have just shortened the lessons up and gave some of our older blokes a little bit more time off their feet.

“We are trying to freshen everyone up and then we’ll go hard at them in the next three weeks prior to Christmas.”

This week also saw the inclusion of Dylan Phythian to the full train on squad after a long recovery from injury.

“Today was his first run outside and it was exciting for him,” explained Ayoub.

“All the boys were excited to see him, they haven’t had him since March last year.

“He had a long process with some of the complications with the revision of an ACL reconstruction but it was great to see him out there.

“He has been training hard indoors, the strength in his legs and the definition is way ahead of where we thought he would be at this stage, hence getting him out there a little bit earlier to run.

“From here on in, we will get him out there at least twice a week for a couple of weeks and keep ramping it up as we go.”

Arriving at the Club a couple of weeks ago, Ayoub maintains Tautau Moga is tracking positively.

“He is coming off the back of a shoulder reconstruction and we couldn’t be happier,” he added.

“He has just grit his teeth and hung on, in terms of some of the conditioning stuff, and has jumped in with the boys today for the first time and actually did some conditioning that the main boys have been doing.

“He has been training with Jack Johns coming off a fractured forearm and with Mitch Barnett and Daniel Saifiti, they’ve both had shoulder reconstructions, so the four of them have been close over the last few weeks.

“Tautau is a big fella and for someone who is that big, he trains well and he loves the hard stuff and wants more.

“With his experience, he’s just a good fella to have out there, he talks to the boys all the time so he’s well ahead of where he needs to be and we’ve just got to temper his enthusiasm at the moment.”

This week the players have started to get a taste of summer with the weather slowly warming up but Ayoub said they make sure they’re ready for the conditions.

“You have to be careful to manage it and make sure they’ve got plenty of hydration,” explained Ayoub.

“We do some hydration testing before they go out on the field and anyone who is flagged with not being hydrated, they have got a two-hour window from the time they come in.

“For us the heat helps our conditioning, puts us in good stead for the start of the season but we have still got plans in place, it just means we get more breaks for water.

And although new recruit and veteran forward Chris Heighington is still at the World Cup, set to play for England in the final against Australia on Saturday, it’s likely he will arrive at the Club soon.

“He has been in contact with the Club and actually wants to come back first thing Monday morning which is a real nobel thing to do,” Ayoub stated.

“From a performance perspective, we just want to make sure we are not overloading him because he’s come out of a long tournament after a long season.

“The plan was for him to start after Christmas but from his own words, he wants to come back next week so he will probably come in and do something."

http://www.newcastleknights.com.au/news/2017/12/01/pre_season_update_wi.html

Rob and Beatell like this.
  9. Rob

Rob Nathan Ross

Hoping to catch a training session either F or M. Anyone got info on the times they train?

10. Simon Templar

Simon Templar Steve Fulmer

Project Manager
    It will be a long Preseason for most this year , with the early finish to the season and the cancellation of the "Auckland Nines " which usually breaks the preseason proper, I hope the boys can peak in time for the start of the season but don't burn themselves out before the end.

11. member 2299

member 2299 Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Retired
    Sam will look after that Simon.

12. rhugh89

rhugh89 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Adversity has made Knights fearless says, Mitchell Pearce

Fatima Kdouh, The Daily Telegraph
    December 6, 2017 2:37pm

MARQUEE recruit Mitchell Pearce says the Knights will be fearless in season 2018 and can be the NRL’s entertainers.

Newcastle have been anchored at the bottom of the ladder recently, earning the wooden spoon for the past three seasons.

But Pearce says the continued adversity has provided a silver lining — fearlessness.

“I’m big on the energy of a group and coming from the Roosters, we’ve had a really good positive winning culture for a long time, and the first thing I noticed was how close all the club is from the staff to all the boys,” he said on the Triple M Grill Team.

“I feel like the playing group hasn’t got much fear.

“I suppose they have built a real resilience the last couple of years being down the bottom of the ladder, players being thrown into first grade before they were ready for most of them.

“I feel like there is a real confidence there and I think the boys are excited about having some leaders come to the club. There is a real connection in the group and I feel I can really add to that.”

Pearce’s arrival in Newcastle will help take the focus off Kalyn Ponga, who the Knights secured in a signing coup back in November of 2016.

Ponga is one of the most promising up-and-coming talents in the game and Pearce says the young gun fullback, along with Connor Watson, will inject some much needed flare into his new side’s attack.

“He’s unbelievable, he’s one of those guys that reeks of class, the way he plays footy, his footwork you can just tell he’s a superstar.

“He’s a really good bloke, he wants to be the best player he can be.

“Some of the things he’s done at training … we’ve only done a little bit of light ball work and he’ll definitely make my job easier.

“With Connor there as well I feel like there is some really ad lib, fast players.

“I feel like the Knights are going to play a really good style this year. “

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...e/news-story/a1233e2df00485a51df5f3532a666b87

Still_Nutty likes this.
  13. Simon Templar

Simon Templar Steve Fulmer

Project Manager
    will certainly be interesting, I have no doubt our attack will be spectacular, but our Defense is going to be the most important ingredient for success.

14. Rob

Rob Nathan Ross

Pearce is one of the best defensive halves in the comp and with Watson having spent some time at 9 I imagine he goes pretty well also. Haven't seen much of Ponga in defense except for him trying to take the intercept everytime when it's 2 on 1. Ese had a strong 10 min period against Tonga after he was tackled illegally but he doesn't show much venom in defense otherwise. Think we look good defensively, maybe middle of the park is the weak link when the likes of Barnett gets tired he can be a liability.

15. LEVR

LEVR Glen Miller

Ponga is garbage in defense when it requires him to put his body on the line. He is a very tentative footballer. That's probably due to his age and the fact that he hasn't needed to be anything more than he is currently due to the god-like talent he has with the ball

I'm hoping that he comes out of this FG off season looking and operating more like a first grader than a teenager. If he can improve in those areas quickly then we have a lot to be excited about, because he could easily be our best player by mid season if he has the capacity and want to fix his deficiencies

16. Aidos

Aidos Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Like a lot of young players, his defence and putting his body on the line should come with experience. He seems like a player that's obsessed with improving his game so that helps.

17. Lord of the Skraelings

Lord of the Skraelings Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

modern burlesque dancer
    Alright
    No way King lets go, he owes the club with how accommodating and supportive we've been of him last 3 years, and doesn't seem like the type to be that disloyal.

Also very focussed about post footy, so sure he'd be doing the odd days work experience here and there to keep fresh which he wouldn't get in Zombie Bennett land.

18. Joshhh

Joshhh OnARampageFuelledByGod

That pretty much should be his focus for the next few seasons & pre-seasons, get the defence right. All the attacking & offensive side of the game comes natural to him, so if he can concentrate on getting his defence right he'll be set.

19. Billy

Ponga is a kid and played mostly NYC last year.
    He needs to play a season or so against seniors before his defence can be judged.

Aidos likes this.
  20. Thornborough92

Thornborough92 Scott Carter

spot on mate, not sure how anyone can really judge his defence when playing at fullback in u20s its nearly a non existent requirement. Playing at the back is a different defensive task all together then playing in the line. His biggest test will be to organise and conduct the defensive line so no one gets through for him to tackle. But again his confidence in being a leader and talking on the field can only come with time and experience. Hopefully having a few senior heads around him in pearce, Buhrer and even levi after his world cup experience should help Kayln feel comfortable from the get go