2018 Pre-Season

Discussion in 'Newcastle Knights Discussion' started by Billy, Nov 1, 2017.

1. Billy

Billy Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

The first round 1 side Brown named included the Saifiti brothers and 3 or 4 others who were totally unexpected.
    The second round 1 side he named included Sam Stone, Luke Yates, Dylan Phythian.
    All those guys got a run because they trained the house down, so Brown clearly bases his round 1 selections on training form in the off season.
    He even said the other day that he has a few halves combinations in mind that he wants to try out.
    If Watson is 5/8 in round 1, it won't be because Brown went into pre season with a plan for that to happen, it will be because he has earnt it over the next 3 months - and if Jack Cogger is the most impressive guy in every training session for the next 3 months, he'll play in round 1 - simple as that.

2. slotmachine

slotmachine Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

I think 2018 is going to be Fat Pat's year.

beau likes this.
  3. member 2299

member 2299 Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Retired
    I can't see it slots, however I was wrong once before ~ 1975 I think it was!!!!

And I still put my money on Lamb 7 and Watson 6 Billy.

EASBay17 likes this.
  4. Joshhh

Joshhh OnARampageFuelledByGod

He's on a large contract, he's one of Browny's most prized signings yet, not being used at the Roosters, but of course it's all about training guys. Super realistic that Browny decides you know what Connor, instead of allowing you to develop your game & forming combos with the NRL side throughout the season, I'm gonna put you in reserves because you didn't train good enough, sorry about that, you came here for nothing & we've got half a million dollars tied up in a reserve grade player for 3 years, woops. But hey, we've got Cogger who ran a good beep test.

5. slotmachine

slotmachine Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

It's an argument that can't be proven either way, unless you are Brown.

Of course when Watson and Lamb run out in the halves for Round 1 some will bang on about how Brown went and spent $500k for someone to play reggies, but then was blown away by how well they trained and they forced their way into the squad.

6. Left Foot

Left Foot Mark Sargent

This is the dumbest thing I have ever read on the internet

7. Billy

Tasgirl, Lefty and Joshhh like this.
  8. danknights

danknights Clint Newton

You are an idiot mate. Don't you get the fact nobody likes you around here but you keep popping up. Tell me how exactly that post is dumb........ MR SUPERCOACH.

9. Hughburt6

Hughburt6 Brett Shore

While I don’t agree with Billy’s perception that Positions aren’t guaranteed, he always provides great insight on players in lower grades and the knights in general and he offers much more to this forum than anyone wanting to call each other names.
    Keep on posting billy

Tasgirl, MisterLevy, Lefty and 2 others like this.
  10. Joshhh

Joshhh OnARampageFuelledByGod

Absolutely, I have to state this because I don't want to be seen as part of the anti-Billy bullying group, Billy has plenty of good info to share regarding junior players, a lot of people including myself wouldn't know a thing about half the guys coming through without Billy, I just happen to strongly disagree with the thoughts that players like Watson, Ponga & co are a chance at not being in the team, love ya Billy.

11. mozza

mozza Game on broheim

Are you gonna admit you were wrong about Levi?
    Got picked ahead of Luke for NZ. Goes alright aye?

12. Beatell

Beatell Matt White

Here here love Billy’s posts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Battler, Lefty and MisterLevy like this.
  13. Matty23

Matty23 Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Retail
    If Cogger is in the side come Round 1, I’ll eat a shoe.

14. Lefty

Lefty Dean Carney

You don't have to agree with Billy but there is no need to abuse him. We are all Knights supporters after all.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wobbles, Tasgirl and Beatell like this.
  15. member 2299

member 2299 Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Retired
    Hang on guys.

Think danknights was referring to a post by old Left Foot on the previous page which has been wiped. Do not think he aimed at Billy at all.

16. Beatell

Beatell Matt White

Yeah that’s right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. packo

packo :) (:

Government
  18. Barry Crush

Barry Crush Con Mika

Retired
    The big signings have the spots today but doesn't mean they will have them round 1 but that said they are theirs to lose. Two things will have to happen the other guys will have to train brilliant and they will have to train like well me. So it is possible they don't earn it or better suited once start working together to another position and I'm sure Brownie and his staff are open to those possibilities but it is unlikely.

MisterLevy likes this.
  19. Billy

Cogger is a better prospect than people realise.
    He had a really bad year last year, starting with surgery that should have ruled him out for the year, but even half fit at the end of last season, he was way better than Feeney and not that out of place in firstgrade.
    If he is fully fit now, and can stay that way for 3 months and do all the training with the squad - unlike last year when he was in the rehab squad all off season and ended up having major surgery after just one game - he will genuinely be in the mix.

kdog1 likes this.
  20. Kurriboy

Kurriboy Leo Dynevor

I agree Cogger is a good prospect for sure. And will be considered along with the rest of the halves come round one. My only point in this whole debate is that to get Watson here, Brown would have told him we have a spot in the NRL for him, ie, promised him more game time at NRL level than he had at the chooks.

So, round 1 he has the jersey barring any very ordinary training by him and some very good training by his competition for the spot. You can say the same of Ponga.

From round 1 on all bets are off, if Watson can not keep form enough to keep his spot, then another player will get a shot at it.

packo likes this.