2018 Pre-Season

Discussion in 'Newcastle Knights Discussion' started by Billy, Nov 1, 2017.

1. Ethan

Ethan Darren Albert

Fancy naming Guerra in the same sentence as Houston that is crazy talk , Guerra has played 10 SOO matches played for Australia and Italy ...Houston was a shirt grabbing nuffy , cant believe you wrote that .

2. LEVR

LEVR Tea Ropati

Agree with everything youve said, except for the 'hits hard' part. No he doesnt.

I legit just watched most of the Roosters 2017 season. This is why i wrote that post. I have no doubt Guerra will be good for us. Be will be one of our tightest and smartest defenders, and he will imrpove the team IQ, morale, everything. He is a good player

My only observation was that his style is very similar to Houston. Yes, i get it he is a better player. But im telling you, watching him play leaves you feeling underwhelmed. He hits the line softly and drops quickly. He doesnt hit hard. He grapples and wraps like Houston. Doesnt really offload and has a fairly one dimensional game.

Im not saying he's rubbish. Im saying that people on this forum will think he is average. I guarantee it. His style of play is lackluster

Trent Robinson didnt resign him.. why not? Have you seen their team? They have no one to replace him with. Aside from Madison who comes from the bench and isnt much chop. He had a good finals, but has been poor for a long time previous to those 3 games

3. Billy

Billy Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

https://www.nswrl.com.au/news/2018/01/08/17-uncapped-players-ready-for-nrl/

Article listing 17 rookies ready to make their NRL debuts. 3 Knights out of 17.

Nick Meaney
    Club: Newcastle Knights
    Position: Winger/Fullback (WFB)
    NRL Fantasy Price: n/a

Yet to earn an NRL start, Nick Meaney appears on the cusp of a first-grade debut having earned the Knights’ ‘Player of the Year’ across the Holden Cup and Intrust Super Premiership NSW in 2016 and 2017, respectively. Named one of NSWRL.com.au’s ‘18 Stars of 2018, Meaney will push incoming livewire Kalyn Ponga in the race towards the club’s ‘No.1’ jersey.

Pasami Saulo
    Position: Front Row Forward (FRF)
    NRL Fantasy Price: n/a

Still eligible for the Jersey Flegg competition in 2018, the recently re-signed Pasami Saulo turned out for the Knights in their quest for an Intrust Super Premiership NSW title last season. A Member of the NSW Under-18s side in 2016, Saulo will push his claims for an NRL debut this year having impressed in pre-season training.

Tom Hughes
    Position: Winger/Fullback (WFB)
    Price: $212,000

Hughes was ultra impressive last year, making the Intrust Super Premiership NSW team of the year, and scoring the most tries (17) out of anyone in the entire competition. Kalyn Ponga, Tautau Moga and Shaun Kenny-Dowall are among the new recruits for the Knights in the past six months who are in the race for a spot in the back five, but Hughes’ outstanding season will have him pushing for that NRL debut.

4. Frank McWilliams

Frank McWilliams Richard Clarke

My comment on those three "all have potential to play 1sts on regular basis and not just due to injury"

5. Billy

6. Rob

Rob Jake Mamo

Guerra is good defensively, makes a lot of effective 1 on 1 tackles from what I saw last year. But to say his combination with Pearce is a positive isn't necessarily true, maybe from a defensive aspect but from memory AG only scored 2 tries last year. Considering this, it would've been great to have Lamb/Fitz combo which was responsible for a 5 or 6 of Fitz's 8 tries last year. Would much prefer a Fitz/AG and Barnett backrow.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
  7. rhugh89

rhugh89 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Knights to train in the community

Newcastle Knights
    Thu 11 Jan 2018, 01:05 PM

The nib Newcastle Knights will be heading into the community to train on Friday January 12.

The squad will be travelling to Central Charlestown’s home field, St Johns Oval, in what will be the first of a number of training sessions held in the community ahead of the 2018 season.

The session kicks off at approximately 9.30am, with all Members and fans welcome to come along and watch.

https://www.newcastleknights.com.au/news/2018/01/11/knights-to-train-in-the-community/

8. Joshhh

Joshhh OnARampageFuelledByGod

Good idea from the Knights, we cover a big territory so it'll be a good chance for people all around the place that aren't in Mayfield to go & see them.

9. mozza

mozza Game on broheim

Why don’t get do it on a Saturday? I’m just down the road definitely would’ve gone.

10. Billy

11. LEVR

LEVR Tea Ropati

Barney is a shoe in for a start. The only thing that may keep him out of the starting team rnd 1 is injury

12. rhugh89

rhugh89 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

13. Billy

14. Beatell

Beatell John Allanson

15. Billy

so;
    Mining jersey

Pearce
    Ponga
    Hodko
    Meaney
    Jack Johns
    Lamb

blue jersey

Pat Mat
    Sam Stone
    Hughes
    Brodie Jones
    King
    Yates
    Starling
    Hazard
    Naden

white jersey

Eseese
    Heighington
    SKD
    Sione
    Lillyman
    Guerra
    Denniss
    Levi
    Buhrer
    Sio
    Ross

Looks to me like the mining jersey was the playmakers. Blue jersey reserve grade. White Jersey firstgrade (?? Cory Denniss).

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
  16. Matty23

Matty23 Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Retail
    Ponga’s looking ripped

17. packo

packo :) (:

Government
    I forgot SKD played for us

18. Billy

https://www.newcastleknights.com.au/news/2018/01/12/pre-season-wrap-with-tony-ayoub-week-10/

Ayoub talks about the progress in training.
    He mentions Saulo training very strongly/looking fantastic. The NSW cup profile a few days ago also said Saulo was standing out in training. Apparently he has a minor leg injury that is keeping him out of the main group at present, but is expected to return soon.
    Ayoub also describes King as the "bully of the group" and says he is going hard and letting everyone know it. I suspect he isn't happy about giving up his firstgrade spot.
    He seemed to say that Hosking and Amey were going strong early but have dropped off the pace.
    Also talk of Daniel and Jacob being a lot more developed than they were a year ago, which is what you would expect, but also our main hope for a dominant pack.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
  19. Beatell

Beatell John Allanson

Wow he’s seems pretty excited about our progress let’s hope it translates into the field

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. LEVR

LEVR Tea Ropati

I didnt see much of Saulo in NYC

But when I did get to watch him in reserves it was immediately apparent that he was going to play FG. Then I found out he'd only just turned 19 and I became convinced he could become a very effective FG'r

He reminds me of Tapine, but bigger. Very similar style of player, rangey, strong and skillful. Oddly enough, both players seemed to hit explosive form once given an opportunity in reserve grade

Saulo will see FG this year, with or without injury imo