2018 Pre-Season and Trials

Discussion in 'Newcastle Knights Discussion' started by Billy, Nov 1, 2017.

1. mozza

mozza Game on broheim

If we can win 4 out of our first 8 and 5 out of our first 10 than a top 8 finish will be very likely. So many tough away games up front if we can win half we’ll be in a really strong position with a bunch home games in a row.

slotmachine likes this.
  2. danknights

danknights Mark Hughes

I think everyone is aiming for 10th so we are not entirely disappointed if we finish below. Will be stoked if we finish higher though.

We can't expect clinical straight away but it will come if we can keep the same team on the park.

Ethan likes this.
  3. Beaumont

Beaumont Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Muscle checking and manipulation of greyhounds.
    With an ounce of luck and a little more experience we could have very easily won another 6 games last year which would have put us 10th. Anyone who don't expect us to finish higher than 10th and challenge for the 8 are not being fair dinkum. Go and ask the owners what they a) expect and b) what they'll accept.

slotmachine likes this.
  4. cowboyman

cowboyman Timana Tahu

Hospitality
    None are a sure thing until they prove it. Hell Brett Firman was once touted as a future Australian player coming through the grades. Karl Filiga on massive money before FG similar to Ponga now. He was mean't to be the next SBW.

Easy to step a few players when that's a strength of yours. Stuart Mills got man of the match on debut and had Gus Gould say it was the best debut he had seen before. Where is he now?..

Sione again. Youngest ever Kangaroo. Now struggling to cement a position in FG. Still getting moved around from one position to the other 3 years on.

Can't bank on any potential yet until it's proven talent over a period of time in the top grade. Sure I believe Ponga is the real deal but he has to prove he belongs in FG now let alone help get a side to the definite top 8 like you seem to think.

5. LEVR

LEVR Banned

Lets be real, Karl Filiga and Stuart Mills have absolutely nothing on Ponga. Lets be real here. And they never were signed onto the largest teen contracts of all time, neither were they as highly regarded by the games top judges as Ponga is

Re Sione, I said from the very start that he didnt have the skillset to be a great player. He couldn't blow people away like Ponga can. He couldn't ball play like Ponga can. He was just an effective consumate professional from a young age. I remember posting that the most we could hope from Sione was that he became a Steve Matai type player and I took an absolute beating on here for that

Honestly, there's a reason you cant name a legit example of a player who should have made it but didnt (barring injury). And its because players like Ponga very rarely fail

Now, im not saying its impossible. Im just saying that on the evidence available and discussed, it is exceptionally unlikely

6. cowboyman

cowboyman Timana Tahu

Hospitality
    Not saying they were at his level but they were both very highly rated juniors who amounted to nothing.

If memory serves me right at the time Filiga was one of the highest signed by a teen with his experience.

There are to many to name of young guns who ripped apart the juniors that amount to nothing that's a fact.

Just can't go banking that Ponga is going to be the second coming. He needs time to prove it first. There are glaring weaknesses in his overall game that he needs to fix in which I believe he will given time and experience.

7. Lord of the Skraelings

Lord of the Skraelings Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Chairman of Marathon Stadium Forums.
    Mate teams last year turned up expecting a training run if we are honest. This year we'll be taken seriously.

slotmachine and 88Knight4life like this.
  8. Lord of the Skraelings

I still feel dirty liking one of your posts.

Battler, Wobbles, cowboyman and 2 others like this.
  9. 88Knight4life

88Knight4life Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

We dont need to ask the owners,
    Kenny has informed us already :cheer::p

10. 88Knight4life

88Knight4life Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Hazmat is on the way big fella

11. Lord of the Skraelings

Re Sione to small to be a forward, to slow, short, unathletic and slow to be a pack. Also lacking modern ball skills of either.

Throw in cant adapt his game.

But I forgot Bennett ear marked him as captain and said he has potential so my bad.

12. Billy

Billy Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

All these opposed sessions in pretty much game conditions means we'll start better than a lot of sides.
    It is a good strategy because we have so many guys who need to learn about each other's games, and it will mean our main team will have had what amounts to 5 games together before round 1 kicks off, but the down side is that it will be a long season for our group.

13. Beatell

Beatell Dean Carney

Has so far worked in our favour but could have also bitten us like Kostjason injury last year. I know I spelt his name wrong lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Lord of the Skraelings

Its very innovative Bill and love how it will push everyone. Imagine how filthy pearce or Watson would be to be 1 upped by cogger and lamb ect. Can only bring out their killer instinct each session

15. Billy

Billy Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Lot's of people thought Cogger and Hodko had a points victory over Pearce and Lamb in the first half of the Maitland trial, and Jack Johns looked OK against them too in the second half.

16. packo

packo :) (:

Government
    Who is going to be the new Chris Houston punching bag?

17. packo

Government
    Can’t even think who the last one was.

18. packo

Government
  19. Lord of the Skraelings

Watson is a lock!

20. 88Knight4life