2018 Pre-Season and Trials

Discussion in 'Newcastle Knights Discussion' started by Billy, Nov 1, 2017.

1. Billy

Billy Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

None of that is true.
    Fans of sides concentrate hard on negatives of their own players, and if all you are looking for are negatives, you will see them.
    Opposition players you only see in short bursts and highlight reels only get judged on their positives.
    King is progressing just like a 21/22 year old prop does. He makes mistakes and he learns from them.
    Eseese is 1 year older and has played 4 more games than King, and i'd say King is tracking to be just about on the same development path.
    Our fans are all over Eseese like a fat kid on a cupcake, but if he is better than King, it is only about 1 year of development better.

2. LEVR

LEVR Banned

I appreciate that King could well continue to improve. But imo there is absolutely no comparing Ese'ese and King. One is a class prop who does everything right and the other is a fringe first grader. And like you said, they've played the same amount of games

King turns 23 this year and is still missing simple tackles on the try line and dropping the ball cold if there's any pressure on him whatsoever. His hitups are average and he defended well for 5 games of his career lol

Imo Ese'ese was the best prop at the Broncos. I watched him closely from the time we signed him. He is a really smart and effective player. I understood straight away why we paid so much for him

3. Ethan

Ethan Sean Rudder

Don't agree with this at all , i don't remember him dropping a ball or missing a tackle from about mid season on .. His ball running wasn't as good as Daniels but was improving and his defence was hurting the opposition more than anyone else in our team , Probably why Bennett was interested in him.

You have no idea how Saulo will go in first grade heaps of guys look good in the lower grades and cant handle the step up , he may make the step up easy but he may not too ...
    King improved heaps from 2016 to 2017 especially the back 1/2 of 2017 and if he makes the same improvements again he will be hard to keep out of the side .. What is he 21 or so most props don't play they're best footy until 25 or 26 he is a 21 yr old that worked his way into the starting side last season and went well a bit of credit where credit is due would be good .....

4. rhugh89

rhugh89 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Saifiti takes big lessons away from Emerging Blues camp

Newcastle Knights
    Mon 15 Jan 2018, 05:26 PM

nib Newcastle Knights prop Daniel Saifiti admits he has high hopes that one day he’ll wear the Blues jersey.

Saifiti was one of four Knights including Connor Watson, Brock Lamb and Sione Mata’utia, who assembled at ANZ Stadium on Saturday for the educational camp.

39 players from 13 NRL teams were joined by a number of NSW Origin legends under the watchful eye of coach Brad Fittler and assistant Danny Buderus.

Saifiti says it was a worthwhile experience.

“We didn’t get to train but we had a lot of ex-players come in and talk to us,” Saifiti explained.

“Each player was given a talk by someone in their specific position.”

The star-studded line-up included former Knights legend Andrew Johns, Craig Fitzgibbon, Matt King, Mark O’Meley and Anthony Minichiello.

“Mark O’Meley talked to us middle forwards and he’s one of the best Blues players that played in my position,” said Saifiti.

“He talked about what is needed to take that next step and become a representative NSW player.

“We weren’t there to learn any new skills but more of that mindset to learn that when it gets tough, Origin is a completely new level to club level.

“They gave us a few little tips here and there to help push through the hard times and help our team out as well.”

With a breakout year in 2017, Saifiti hopes it won’t be too long until he’s a genuine Origin contender.

“Realistically I won’t be there for another few years but hopefully I am an emerging player who they see coming through who might be able to get to that level,” maintained Saifiti.

“I’m going to take the tips they gave us and bring it to Newcastle.

“They did speak of maybe a few camps during the year but also keeping in touch with our positional coaches, either Danny Buderus or Mark O’Meley.

“If we do something right or we do something wrong, they might tip us up during the year and hopefully we can improve from there.”

https://www.newcastleknights.com.au...s-big-lessons-away-from-emerging-blues-camp2/

5. Lord of the Skraelings

Lord of the Skraelings Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Chairman of Marathon Stadium Forums.
    Do something right or wrong they might tip us during the year?

What a ludicrous proposition.

6. LEVR

LEVR Banned

Hahahahahaha no chance brutha

7. rhugh89

Heighington impressed with youngsters' willingness to learn

Newcastle Knights
    Tue 16 Jan 2018, 04:42 PM

Chris Heighington is only in his third week of pre-season training with the nib Newcastle Knights, but already likes what he sees in the younger players.

The recently turned 36-year-old says he's impressed with the commitment to learning at training.

“All the younger boys are definitely up to it,” Heighington told Knights TV.

“They’re willing to learn and that’s half the issue these days because you’ve got to be willing to learn... they’ve definitely got that.”

A natural leader, Heighington believes it’s important that he and other experienced players make an impact while they can.

“When I or others finish up, you want to leave the young kids with something to build on to create their own careers and hopefully when they’re senior players, they can tell the younger players what to do as well.

“I like to get around the young kids, we’ve been working on a few things defensively and a few things after training so I might grab the middle players and go for a few drills.

“It’s been really good so far, the effort is there and everyone listens.”

Heighington thinks the Knights forward pack has a good mix of players for the season ahead.

“You need that to be successful with young kids coming through and working really hard,” he said.

“The senior blokes have got to lead the way, pull them aside and help them out in any areas.

“The kids are really enthusiastic and they can drive me forward as well.”

The two-time premiership winning forward says it’s been an easy transition to his new club.

“Everyone has made me feel really welcome, I’ve enjoyed it so far,” said Heighington.

“There's a good bunch of kids, older players and great coaching staff.

“I’m just trying to build combinations with my halves, hookers and five-eighths and to get the combinations with the forwards as well.”

Heighington is now looking forward to the team coming together for their first game as a new Knights outfit, with trial games set for next month.

Heighington admits he’s anticipating the kick-off of the new season.

“At my previous clubs, I thought I brought energy and enthusiasm so I’m going to try and do that this year as well and hopefully get through injury free,” he said.

“My goals are to play consistent footy, bring some enthusiasm to the team and hopefully a bit of experience.

“I’ve got no doubt that we’ll do well this year, the effort is there and everyone is buying into the plan and the system.”

https://www.newcastleknights.com.au...ressed-with-youngsters-willingness-to-learn2/

Tasgirl likes this.
  8. Lord of the Skraelings

There's conjecture that new coaching director Warren Ryan has approached the board suggesting extending Brown might be premature.

Wok and Gardiner are allegedly considering opening up for applications seeing if any high profile coaches maybe interested.

A review is being planned for mid year to gauge the clubs progress.

9. rhugh89

Hayne and Pearce to square off in mouth-watering NRL trial

Michael Chammas Chief Reporter
    Tue 16 Jan 2018, 05:20 PM

Two of the biggest NRL off-season signings, Jarryd Hayne and Mitchell Pearce, will make their first public appearances for their new clubs in a mouth-watering preseason trial in Maitland on February 24.

The Newcastle Knights and Parramatta Eels confirmed to NRL.com that both Pearce and Hayne would play their first game in front of their respective fans in the second week of the trials.

The Knights have locked in a trial behind closed doors against the Melbourne Storm the week before and are expected to give Pearce limited time in that fixture, however he won’t be paraded in front of fans until the following week against the Eels.

“We’ll give Mitchell a good run in Maitland,” Knights coach Nathan Brown told NRL.com.

“It will be our big hit out before the season. It’ll be a good opportunity for him and the boys to work on those combinations.

“We’ll probably give him 40 minutes or so in the closed trial against Melbourne the week before but the fans won’t get a chance to see him until the Maitland trial against the Eels.”

The Eels have two trials locked in, but coach Brad Arthur won’t use many of the players from his top 30 in the opening match against North Sydney.

Arthur hasn’t decided what position Hayne will play against the Knights in Maitland, but he did confirm that the former Titans fullback will feature in the club’s final hit-out before the start of the NRL season.

"You’d think they’ll also have Jarryd Hayne playing so it’ll be quite a game,” Brown said.

“Haynesy attracts attention whatever he does and he has returned to Parra now so it’ll be a pretty special day for both clubs.”

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/01/16...ce-to-square-off-in-mouth-watering-nrl-trial/

10. mozza

mozza Game on broheim

I have no issue with waiting for results before re-signing Brown. It’s what I wanted all along.

11. Billy

Lord is having a laugh I think, but i'd be happy with that.
    I'd also be happy to see wests throw big money at a top coach.
    I know it was a disaster the only time we have spent big money on a coach, but this one wouldn't be picked by Tinkler.

12. LEVR

LEVR Banned

Brutal but its the best thing for the club

13. slotmachine

slotmachine Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Well the trial will put to bed most of the conjecture over the round 1 side, seeing as brownie started his best side on last years trial.

Dan, Barnett and Moga might not be ready, will be very interesting to see who gets the other centre spot.

14. Frank McWilliams

Frank McWilliams Josh Perry

SKD and bring in a winger, Hughes, Sio, Meaney

15. Lord of the Skraelings

Exactly Bill and say what you will but the wok wont hesitate to make big calls even if they are unpopular ones.

16. LEVR

LEVR Banned

Wasnt sure where to post this. Just watching the knights from 2000 play the Roosters

The single most noticeable aspect of our play is the frantic pace at which we roll through our sets. Every play is run at full speed. Form isnt that important, but the basic structure is there. And in every play we are shifting wide, quickly towards a stretched defense, when the defense doesnt have the time to rush the line

I appreciate what wrestling has done to the game, the speed of play etc. But its difficult not to see that this type of mentality in attack is something that the best teams still manage today.

For what its worth, Pearce just so happens to be one of the half dozen or so halves who have made a habit of running each and every play at full pace

17. krustykraz

krustykraz Craig Gower

18. Billy

http://www.theherald.com.au/story/5171199/jack-cogger-signs-two-year-deal-with-bulldogs/?cs=306

"Fitzgibbon hoped Lamb will make a decision on his future with the big picture in mind.

“We’re good mates and we did form a bit of a combination at the back-end of the season when we played together,” Fitzgibbon said. “Lamby will find himself back in the side, I’ve got no doubts about that. He’s a really talented young player and he’s only 20 years old.

“I think for himself, he’d admit having Mitch around the club will be a good thing for him in the long run.”

Fitzgibbon said Lamb’s attitude during the pre-season could not be faulted despite his likely demotion and the scrutiny surrounding his future.

“He’s taken it well, he’s training the house down and has been one of our best trainers over the past month or so, not only with fitness but in opposed sessions,” Fitzgibbon said.

“His attitude has been unreal and it’s a matter of time before he finds himself in first grade and he might even be there for round one yet.

“He’ll bounce back and I think he’ll be one of the best in the game in a few years. I really just hope he sticks around.”

Pretty much my opinion that Lamb won't be out of the side for long, but it's nice to hear that he is getting stuck into training.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
    Defender1 likes this.
  19. Billy

20. LEVR

LEVR Banned

Lamb will be in the team inside of 6 weeks imo. Even if it is in some quasi halves/hooker role.

Short of Watson blowing all expectations out of the water, Brown will be looking to get Lamb on the park and in the halves. He's probably waiting for a little short term injury or a suspension that can assist him with that. But otherwise, i reckon he is anticipating making the hard decsion as early as possible