2018 Pre-Season and Trials

Discussion in 'Newcastle Knights Discussion' started by Billy, Nov 1, 2017.

1. LEVR

LEVR Banned

I think it gets coached out of them too. Focus is on counting numbers, ball playing and structure. But yea totally agree that weight is a problem also

RTS last injury didn't do him any favors either

2. krustykraz

krustykraz Marty Crequer

Interesting point.
    Banji is a massive example.

3. LEVR

LEVR Banned

Benji is an example of a player who maintained flair until he was of an age where he lost his agility... He played the same way until nearly 30 years of age, which is a fair effort imo

The ability to move is normally lost on players by their late 20's, look at the Morris twins and Jennings as an example

4. Joshhh

Joshhh OnARampageFuelledByGod

Yeah I left out older players because it's a given that with age they lose their speed & agility.

5. LEVR

LEVR Banned

Yeah well your point is a good one. Fingers crossed Ponga holds onto what makes him so exciting

6. Billy

Billy Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Uate still steps better than 99% of players - not as good as he did at 19, but not too far off it when injury free.
    Tahu pretty much kept his step till 30+ too.
    Even old Doogs could still step in the 3 games a season he was injury free.

7. LEVR

LEVR Banned

Mad dog was a crazy freak. He looked better at 34 than he did in his mid 20's... I think we all know why tho lol. But jeez I'm quick to forget how damn good he was in the centres for us. Rep quality centre even at 35

Uate and Tahu both lost the peak of their mobility in their mid 20's imo. Uate can still move, but a shadow of his former self

8. rhugh89

rhugh89 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Squad kicks off 2018

Newcastle Knights
    Thu 4 Jan 2018, 04:23 PM

Spirits were high when the nib Newcastle Knights returned to training on Thursday morning after a short break over the Christmas period.

The players were greeted with some fitness testing to start the new year, and the squad performed to expectation.

Coach Nathan Brown said there is excitement within the squad as the new season approaches.

“We’re all excited, but we’re also mindful that we’ve got a long way to get to where we want to be,” Brown told media after the session.

“We’ve still got a month until our first trial match, so our sports science staff are putting a lot of time into the physical side.

We’re all excited, but we’re also mindful that we’ve got a long way to get to where we want to be.

“Our players appear to be improving and our rehab group is getting a little smaller every week.”

Shoulder reconstruction trio Mitch Barnett, Daniel Saifiti and Tautau Moga participated in ball work sessions, and are on track for the new season according to Brown.

“Whether everyone will be fit for our first trial match I’m not too sure, but they should all be fit at least for our Parramatta trial game (Saturday February 24).”

“None of the players in the rehab group are seasoned players, so getting a hit-out (before the season) is really important for them.”

And while speculation has been rife regarding who will captain the red and blues in 2018, Brown says an announcement won't be made any time soon.

“We have a few ideas, but a lot of the guys have only just arrived at the Club," Brown explained.

“Mitchell Pearce has only been here for a couple of weeks, Chris Heighington is obviously a very experienced player and has only just arrived.

“Our new players that have come from more successful clubs arrived a fair way into the pre-season, so it certainly isn’t something we’ve put a huge emphasis on yet.”

https://www.newcastleknights.com.au/news/2018/01/04/squad-kicks-off-2018/

Tasgirl likes this.
  9. mozza

mozza Game on broheim

Slander.

10. slotmachine

slotmachine Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

I'll be more excited if Ponga can run the second man sweep play that seems to generate 75% of the tries in the NRL these days.

Darius is a class A grub who should have been arrested for theft if he was taking a pay cheque here, but he could run it in his sleep.

11. Billy

Tasgirl likes this.
  12. Billy

13. Kurriboy

Kurriboy Todd Bates

Has there been trials in the past that have been closed to the public. I honestly dont know.

I wonder if the score will be publicised at all!

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

14. EASBay17

EASBay17 Jarrod O'Doherty

i wonder if there was enough interest from the fans perhaps they may stream it. No doubt the club will be recording it for analysis purposes

15. Billy

Melbourne probably want to keep their positional changes under wraps if they are using it to warm up for the WCC.

16. danknights

danknights Adam Woolnough

Great trial game that one!!!! Mods move it wherever necessary.

17. Left Foot

Left Foot Troy Fletcher

Prime example.
    Though having Buderus at dummyhalf made a big difference

18. LEVR

LEVR Banned

Gagai absolute freak with ball in hand

I've always maintained that Gagai's best season defensively was his first season with us. I remember thinking how classy he was because of his all round game. From there his defense fell away. And the only real explanation is effort and desire imo, because he didn't forget how to defend, he just no longer needed to do it as well as he did, given his favour with Bennett and performance with ball in hand

That's why Gagai can go to a new level for QLD, because he is an effort player

19. Billy

Barry Crush likes this.
  20. Matty23

Matty23 Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Retail
    The Knights score, and the crowd goes wil- oh no sorry, nevermind.