2018 Pre-Season and Trials

Discussion in 'Newcastle Knights Discussion' started by Billy, Nov 1, 2017.

1. Billy

Billy Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

There seems to be very little to say this off season, because we have said everything already it seems.
    Which is funny, because we really do have the most exciting young squad we have had this century. I can name 20 players who might be anything.

2. newy guy29

newy guy29 Nathan Ross

real eastate
    Who are the ones in u18s SG Ball to keep an eye on. This age group has lost a few players from Harold Matthews cup. So should be interesting

3. Billy

Well I notice halves Pheonix Crossland and Jock Madden, along with others like Brock Gardner, Tom Baker, Timanu Alexander and maybe a few more from the 2016 under 16s are all training with the under 20s in the off season. I don't know how we'll be doing it this year, but i'd hope most of those guys will play under 18s till the Ball season is over.
    Others from the 2017 Mathews squad like Best, Buderus, Croker, Purcell all look ready to step up a year early.
    I think we have also recruited a kiwi and a Fijian.
    I haven't seen any mention of Teva Mataora or Joel Dark, but they are guys I hope we see as well.
    We made the grandfinal in Mathews in 2016 and 2017 for a narrow loss and a narrow win, so most of the players in under 18s this year will be coming from those winning squads.

newy guy29 likes this.
  4. newy guy29

newy guy29 Nathan Ross

real eastate
    Yeah your right, Crossland, Madden, Gardiner, Baker, Alexander all been training with 20s, But all returned to Ball training prior to Xmas.
    I hope Crossland & Madden have a great 2018 as unfortunately 2017 playing ball a year young didn't do them any favours specially in defence. But its a learning curve.
    Gardener didn't play much Ball a year young coukdnt get a run. All I hope is he has put some weight on in the off season, He is way to lean to play middle
    Baker is a great prospect up front
    Alexander is for mine pick of the group. Very exciting player who can play numerous positions but doesn't get the recognition he deserves, Great player

Others a year young in 2018
    Best fantastic player but not long had shoulder reco so wont play any part in SG Ball a year young
    Bederus will be in the squad but a lot will depend on how Crossland & Madden go. If any injuries Bederus will be straight in
    Croker a good player but I'm unsure how much time he will get
    Purcell This will be interesting. He plays lock as does Gardiner, Unless they move Gardiner to 2nd row or they move Purcell to front row. Personaly I think Purcell is a good player but he is someone who is not explosive or someone who will break the line, But still a great worker looking forward to see how he handles SG Ball a year young

5. EASBay17

EASBay17 Jarrod O'Doherty

In an interview with browny today he said our first trial is against melbourne. Does anyone know the when and where of this game? Judging by his comments theres quite a few first graders he wants to have run in this match.

6. Billy

Melbourne have games against Leeds, Warriors and Cowboys according to the roar site.

7. EASBay17

Not sure if interview has been posted elsewhere but he said we play storm before parra trial?

8. EASBay17

9. Billy

maybe we are giving Melbourne a warm up game the week before the WCC. I know Leeds are playing a warmup game.

EASBay17 likes this.
  10. EASBay17

Storm play leeds on the 16th of feb and we play parra on the 24th i think. So if we do id assume its in the 2nd week of feb. Preaseason games are listed on nrl.com and only has us down as playing parra.

11. Billy

It could also be our fringe guys against Storm fringe guys.
    I know our first trial last year was our reserves v titans reserves in Murwillumbah and it wasn't treated as a real trial. The only firstgrader playing was Hodko from memory.
    I went up to watch it and it was funny hearing the comments in the stands when Tom Starling was warming up about how the little guy was going to get killed, and the little guy had a blinder.

12. Joel

Joel Touche...

13. Matty23

Matty23 Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Retail
    Ankles will in fact break next season.

14. LEVR

LEVR Banned

It'll look as if people have C4 explosives strapped around the ankles, both detonating at the same time, as he steps his way through solid defensive lines, each and every game

15. Joshhh

Joshhh OnARampageFuelledByGod

I noticed that in his NRL games, he gets so low that he literally slides his ankle on the ground, it looks so much smoother though in real time than that photo makes it look. Very interesting step technique that I've never seen before.

16. Beaumont

Beaumont Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Muscle checking and manipulation of greyhounds.
    There was a clip from training before Christmas where he dummies. Little wonder experienced players in the team talk about Ponga's class.

17. LEVR

LEVR Banned

He's gonna do a lot of stuff you've likely never seen before

Honestly people think Haynes 2009 season was unspeakably brilliant. Ponga has the class to be at that level inside of a year imo

I think people will be very very suprised at how much improvement and growth Ponga can find in a single NRL pre-season. They're underestimated in their impact imo, esspecially for young players who had lacked physicality. He looks heaps bigger across the shoulders, arms and chest

Very exciting stuff

EASBay17 and Beaumont like this.
  18. Matty23

Matty23 Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Retail

Let’s leave this here.

mozza, krustykraz and Tasgirl like this.
  19. Tasgirl

Tasgirl Tasgirl

Hippie.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Impressive step.

20. Joshhh

Joshhh OnARampageFuelledByGod

I could be underestimating his step, but I tend to be wary of steppers these days. It's a bit of a trend in the NRL where players with a killer step come through the grades & have a season, or maybe a few seasons of blazing the NRL, before it tends to fall away in frequency.

I'm thinking the likes of Barba, Milford, Gagai, Tuivasa-Sheck, Shaun Johnson etc. All looked to have unstoppable footwork at the beginning of their careers, they still do on occasion fool the defence big time & tear up a team in seconds, some more often than others, but they're not the untouchable players they were at the start. This would be due to multiple factors, first one being NRL defences eventually figuring out how to strangle & close in down on them, second being the player with the step's team loses success therefore the player with the step doesn't get the same opportunities he used to have & third being they naturally put on size as they grow into their bodies so even the split second of speed they may have lost with an extra few kilos can close the gap on fooling NRL defences.

I know that there's more to Ponga's game than just the step though, so even if it does get figured out after a few years like most players, he has enough skill elsewhere to still be a brilliant player.

LEVR and Tasgirl like this.