2018 lock

Discussion in 'Knights Signings, Rumours & Player Movement' started by Jdawg, Dec 12, 2017.

1. Jdawg

Jdawg David Boyd

Hi all,
    Found this forum a few weeks ago and finally got off my butt and decided to contribute. Long time knights fan so loving all the passion from people on here.
    I am interested in your thoughts re lock forward for next year. Most good teams seem to have a lock that acts like another front rower but can play bigger minutes, most around 60 minutes or so. I’m talking about your tumololo, Gallen, merrin and maguire type players. Who do you see filling this position for the knights longer term? At the moment the consensus seams to be Barnett to start 2018, but I’m not sure if it will pan out that way later in the year and into 2019. Which front rower or larger second rower has the engine to kick on for us in this role, or do we buck the trend and have a more skillfull player instead of the bash and barge type that is becoming the norm. Thoughts???

2. Billy

Billy Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

You hear coaches talk these days and they refer to props and Locks as "middles" or middle forwards these days.
    The lock might get to move around in the defensive line to where they are needed, but essentially you go into the game with 5 or 6 middle forwards who are all basically playing the same role (3 starting and 2 or 3 on the bench).
    The days of locks being like a big 5/8 are gone I think.
    If we were looking for an old fashioned Ben Kennedy type lock, young Brodie Jones would be the guy. He is a big, strong guy who plays prop or second row, but was also a 5/8 for a year in under 18s and has vision and skills.

3. krustykraz

krustykraz Marty Crequer

I like the idea of Dan Saifiti at lock.

4. Jdawg

Jdawg David Boyd

What about amey or Yates to kick on, they have the right build and an offload or two in them as well...

5. BargeArse

BargeArse George Mann

We’re 5 deep at front row this season with the Saifiti twins already on board and the new additions of Ese’ese, Lillyman and Heighington. Could easily have all 5 in the 17 and go bigger at lock with one of those guys if Brown wanted.

For me personally, I’m a big Barnett fan and he can easily play 60+ minutes. Size isn’t everything. Barnett is super aggressive and seems to be one of our tone setters in defence. In attack, he’s much more skilful than your typical up and down front rower type. He’s got good footwork and is a smart ball player from that lock position which can add another dimension to your attack. Though he lacks size, he more than makes up for it with his heart/ticker and skill. He’s only 23 too. Once he fully matures, he’ll be even more hardened for that middle third role. Big fan of him and what he brings to the table. Think he would also made a nice second rower playing on the edge.

The other guys we’ve got who you could maybe see there at times are Guerra, Buhrer, and Griffin. Again, all different to the typical front row converted locks these days. Guerra is probably the closest, but still more backrower. Does have that bit of “up and down” game about him but. Buhrer is definitely more skilled and I prefer him on the fringe. I thought he played his best footy by far playing right second row for Manly running good/smart lines, but he can play some lock and is a good hard working defender around the ruck. Great communicator too which helps. Griffin at lock would be more of your Matt Hilder or Alan Tongue type of player. Not much go forward in attack, but can be a good link for the forwards with his passing game and will tackle his heart out in defence and make 40+ over an 80 minute span. Thinking he’ll play more hooker to spell Levi but.

The only other guy who I think could play that middle third role, but I’d obviously have to see it happen first, would be Fitzgibbon. Just the way the plays the game. Hard nosed, aggressive, relatively up and down. Would likely have to develop into that role with more first grade experience, but I think he could handle it, at least in short stints off the bench at first – if need be. Like what I saw from him playing on the edge last season though.

Tasgirl likes this.
  6. krustykraz

krustykraz Marty Crequer

I'm keen for the biggest pack possible for the first 20min so I would have.
    8.Ese
    9.Buhrer
    10.Lillyman
    11.Barnett
    12.Guerra
    13.Dan Saf
    14.Levi (on from 20-80)
    15.Jacob Saf
    16.Fitz
    17.Heington

Frank McWilliams and LEVR like this.
  7. LEVR

LEVR Banned

Barnett will be our lock. He is the archetypal 13

Capacity for long minutes and high work rate
    Skillfull, has vision and propensity to offload
    Is a pack leader and agressive defender
    Has a strong ball carry

Barnett is a quality forward and is only young. Still more improvement from him in 2018

8. LEVR

LEVR Banned

That being said, I really like the look of that pack

9. krustykraz

krustykraz Marty Crequer

imo Barnett would kill it out on an edge running at smaller defenders with his footwork and ball playing skills.

10. LEVR

LEVR Banned

I agree. He did exactly that when we first signed him to play as an edge backrower.

It would also allow us to have both Jake and Daniel on the field at once. And provide an opportunity for a Saulo type prospect to come off the bench without having anyone miss out on a spot

11. Joshhh

Joshhh OnARampageFuelledByGod

Barnett bulked up last season & he's only getting bigger next year with more muscle work & body maturation so I can't see him being moved back out wide. He'll be a lock from this point on, maybe front rower with even more size.

Don't know why you'd want Fitzy at lock, he has a perfect tall, hard running, hole hitting second-rower body. Putting him in the middle takes away from his strengths. With more growth he might have to move to the middle but not now.

12. BargeArse

BargeArse George Mann

I wouldn’t “want” Fitzgibbon there, but I think he has the potential to handle it if need be.

As for Barnett, it would ruin his career bulking him up to be a front rower or anything resembling that.

13. slotmachine

slotmachine Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Why is anyone wanting to move our 2017 player of the year?

And you can't just chuck any big body in there and expect they can handle the workload. Locks still need to do more work in defence and play longer minutes generally.

LEVR likes this.
  14. Frank McWilliams

Frank McWilliams Jason Allen

Barnett for me but I do like that BIG side with Dan at 13 it could very well work, as long as Barnett dropped back when Dan is done. Only real worry is overdoing the swapping and overuse of interchange will be hard enough getting used to each other.

15. member 2299

member 2299 Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Retired
    Barnett for me also Frank, and don't forget he was Brownie's pick as Gladiator or whatever last season.

Tasgirl likes this.
  16. danknights

danknights Adam Woolnough

Yeah Barnett at 13. Guerra and fitzy second row for me.