2018 Jersey Flegg Cup

Discussion in 'Newcastle Knights Lower Grades' started by Billy, Dec 23, 2017.

1. Billy

Billy Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

they are now saying 16-6 fulltime - but it's only halftime i'm pretty sure.

2. Billy

16-12 to the knights after 48

3. Billy

20-12 after 50 minutes - Musgrove try - Dark now has 2/4 goals

4. Billy

26-12 after 52 - Hoy has his 3rd

5. Billy

Huth is on for one of the middle forwards.
    I assume Starling will go to lock

6. Billy

30-12 - Tom Starling scores.
    Loughrey went off 2 minutes before Starling scored (replaced by a middle forward) so I assume Starling was playing halfback.

7. Billy

32-12 - 9 minutes to go.

8. member 2299

member 2299 Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Retired
    32-12 final.

Tex Hoy grabbed a hat trick.

9. Matty23

Matty23 Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Tex Hoy didn’t take long to impress.

10. Billy

fulltime 32-12

11. Billy

Lowrie has a headache. Matt Cooper has been on fire before picking up a slight injury, and Tex Hoy immediately shows he is all class too.
    Cooper can only play fullback, but Hoy can play fullback, wing, 5/8, and I think he played both halfback and hooker in the Parra trial.

He also has two great hookers in Starling and Huth and has to find ways to get them both gametime.

12. rhugh89

rhugh89 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Dominant start to the season, Brilliant stuff boys !!

13. Billy

We had a similar start last year.
    The wheels fell off when Starling went up to reserve grade.
    We'd probably go better if we lost Starling this year, because Huth is outstanding as well.
    But as I said after the first trial, if Starling plays 80 minutes of every game this year, we won't lose a game.

knightslad likes this.
  14. rhugh89

JERSEY FLEGG LADDER AFTER ROUND 4

Jersey Flegg Ladder Rd 4.png

15. rhugh89

Lowrie flags Jersey Flegg win as best yet

Newcastle Knights
    Tue 3 Apr 2018, 09:15 AM

nib Newcastle Knights Jersey Flegg coach Todd Lowrie claims the 32-12 win over the St George Illawarra Dragons on Saturday was one of the team's best performances so far.

Despite a five-hour drive down to Gerringong, Lowie said his men put on a good show against a solid Dragons outfit.

“We went down there against a good team and they’ve only lost one of their games,” Lowrie explained.

“They had a couple of people coming back in who were playing Reserve Grade and we performed really well and came away with a good win.”

In his first game for the Under 20s Tex Hoy, who replaced an injured Matt Cooper, recorded a hat-trick from fullback.

“He was really good, and they were good tries too,” added Lowrie.

“I think all of his tries were individual and he just made something from nothing.

“Tex played both trials for us and he was very good and was unlucky not to make Round 1.

“He got his opportunity a couple of weeks later, so credit to him, it’s his first game in the 20s but he’s been doing everything right so far.”

The Jersey Flegg coach was also impressed with his side's defensive efforts, seeing big improvement from their Round 1 match.

“Defence has probably been the best part of our game the last two weeks and last week it was what won us the game in the end,” he said.

“This week our goal line defence and our desperation was really good, so it’s something the guys are taking a lot of pride in at the moment and from a coaching point of view, it’s good to see they’re taking a bit of pride.

“They’re definitely reaping the rewards because the game could have been completely different as the Dragons certainly had plenty of opportunities to score and attack our line.”

Lowrie is certain consistency will be the key to continuing their momentum into the season.

“We need to keep on playing consistently to our standards,” stated Lowrie.

“We saw sometimes there were little effort areas which we need to keep improving on, just lapses at times but overall it was probably our best performance of the year.

“I was pretty happy with that.”

https://www.newcastleknights.com.au/news/2018/04/03/lowrie-flags-jersey-flegg-win-as-best-yet/

16. Billy

Flegg highlights - knights start at 1.40 - the longrange try scored by Hoy comes after an offload that was so unexpected that half the Saints players had their backs turned and were running back to position. You can't see who did it because he is smothered by defenders, but I'm going to say the only guy we have who could do that is Matt Croker, and he does it a lot (although that is about the best I've seen from him)

https://www.nswrl.com.au/news/2018/04/01/highlights--jersey-flegg-rd-4/

17. rhugh89

ROUND 5 TEAM VS NORTH SYDNEY

1. Matt Cooper
    2. Lachlan Farr
    3. Brayden Musgrove
    4. Mitch Andrews
    5. Justin Worley
    6. Tex Hoy
    7. Nash Birch
    8. Pasami Saulo
    9. Tom Starling
    10. Jirah Momoisea
    11. Kurtis Dark
    12. Beau Fermor
    13. Matthew Croker

14. Tevita Alifa
    15. Henry-Siriah Fuimaono
    16. Luke Huth
    17. Brandon Russell

http://live.nswrl.com.au/match/bc58298b822b331e0/712fa0082366f194c

18. Billy

Someone had to make way for Hoy, but our top try scorer in Loughrey is pretty unlucky.
    Actually, everyone is going good, so I suppose someone had to be unlucky.

19. Frank McWilliams

Frank McWilliams Clint Newton

Not listed in 17 so is Loughrey possibly injured or unluckily dropped?

20. rhugh89

Jersey Flegg match preview: Round 5

Newcastle Knights
    Fri 6 Apr 2018, 11:47 AM

Newcastle Knights v North Sydney Bears

Date: Saturday, April 7
    Kick-off: 3.30pm
    Venue: McDonald Jones Stadium

Team

1. Matt Cooper, 2. Lachlan Farr, 3. Brayden Musgrove, 4. Mitch Andrews, 5. Justin Worley, 6. Tex Hoy, 7. Nash Birch, 8. Pasami Saulo, 9. Tom Starling, 10. Jirah Momoisea, 11. Kurtis Dark, 12. Beau Fermor, 13. Matthew Croker. Interchange. 14. Tevita Alifa, 15. Henry-Siriah Fuimaono, 16. Luke Huth, 17. Brandon Russell.

Sitting top of the ladder with a four from four record, the nib Newcastle Knights Jersey Flegg squad have had a stellar start to the 2018 season.

While coach Todd Lowrie might be riding the wave of momentum, he said he’s well aware they need to keep working hard to keep those positive results coming.

“I judge them on whether they are playing to their potential,” Lowrie explained.

“There has been a couple of weeks where we have been a little bit disappointed with our performance but the start on the weekend was really good and we’re looking to have more games like that in the future.”

After his impressive hat trick last week Tex Hoy will again get a start in the side, but this time at five-eighth, replacing Hayden Loughrey who is out with shoulder problems.

“Tex Hoy’s natural position is fullback but Hayden Loughrey is out this week and Tex has played two trials for us, one at fullback and one at five-eighth,” he said.

“He’s probably been one of our best players on the field and with Hayden out and Matt Cooper set to be back, Tex certainly deserves his spot in the team somewhere.

“I think the best spot for him in the team at the moment is going to be five-eighth.

“Hayden’s shoulder injury got the better of him this week so hopefully he can strengthen it up and he won’t miss too many games.”

Matthew Croker also gets his first start for the season in the number 13 jersey.

“He played a lot for us last year and started quite a few games, and with some other guys we have brought in to the club, he’s been on the bench,” Lowrie stated.

“He’s been really good, particularly on the weekend, so he gets rewarded with a starting spot.”

With only one win from four, the North Sydney Bears will be hungry to get some more points on the board but Lowrie is under no illusions they’ll be easy beats.

“I have watched a few of their games recently, they played the Dragons and they were very unlucky,” Lowrie admitted.

“They were creating a whole lot of opportunities that could have changed the game, so although they’ve only won one game, they’ve very dangerous and I’m expecting quite a tough game.”

Lowrie maintains it will be good to be back at McDonald Jones Stadium, playing the opener of a three game fixture on Saturday.

“It’s our first game at McDonald Jones Stadium for the year and then being a Saturday afternoon, I know the boys are quite excited about playing,” commented Lowrie.

“I just hope that we get some sort of crowd there, being that the first grade play the Broncos, and get a few turn up early to watch us because the boys get a really big kick out of it.”

https://www.newcastleknights.com.au/news/2018/04/06/jersey-flegg-match-preview-round-5/