2018 Jersey Flegg Cup

Discussion in 'Newcastle Knights Lower Grades' started by Billy, Dec 23, 2017.

1. Billy

Billy Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

14-0 at halftime.
    Knights blew 6 or 7 chances and sharks blew 3 or 4.
    Knights have a big wind behind them in the second half, but it's so strong Cronulla had a lot of trouble keeping their passes from going forward.

2. Billy

Mitch Andrews has made a couple of big runs is his first game back after a few months off, but Heath Gibbs has only been called a few times.
    Tom Starling seems to be in the middle of everything, as he usually is when he plays this grade, and he'll keep it up for 80 minutes if we need him to.
    We have only replaced the 2 starting props after 28 minutes. Croker at lock played the full half.
    Cronulla have made 4 replacements - their 3 middle forwards and a second rower due to injury.

3. Billy

14-6
    Sharks scored easily in the first set of the second half.

4. Billy

14-10
    I don't know who has the wind behind them.
    Commentators called it behind the sharks all first half, and now they are calling it behind the sharks in the second half.
    14-12

5. Billy

18-14 to Cronulla

6. Billy

Knights have put Huth and the starting props back on

7. Billy

Knights have blown another few chances to score - must be 10 or more now.

8. Billy

18-18 ktc - Rasiga scores - if Dark were kicking we would get this, but Worley is long odds to kick one from the sidelines in a big wind.

9. Billy

18-18 - 4 tries to 3 to us, but no kurtis Dark in the side.

10. Billy

20-18 to the knights - penalty right in front.
    6 minutes to go.
    Croker putting his hand up for lots of runs after playing full minutes.

11. Billy

24-18 - all the forwards ran up the middle and powered 80 metres to score. Ofa gets the try.

12. Billy

Worley has kicked 2 from 6 and those 2 were right in front.
    5 tries to 3.

13. Billy

scrappy 24 -18 win
    5 tries to 3 and we blew a dozen chances to score - and Cronulla blew half a dozen as well.

14. Frank McWilliams

Frank McWilliams Clint Newton

Good result though in obviously trying conditions, Croker seems to be a strong player with lots of minutes in him

15. Billy

Croker could be a bit bigger but he is a fantastic prospect. He played for NSW in 16s and 2 years in 18s and is currently a year young in our 20s, although he finished last year as our starting prop as an 18 year old. He has big minutes in him and the best offload I've seen in a junior prop. He somehow gets an arm free when 3 guys are tackling him and delivers a perfect pass to someone like Tex Hoy running at speed. The best thing is that young Harry Croker is like a clone of Matt, only 2 years younger.

16. newy guy29

newy guy29 Cory Denniss

real eastate
    Sorry did you say Croker played Nsw u16s & u18s 2 years in a row.?

Sounds like conditions were harsh today but still a great result.

I know Sharks had a a few key boys missing for Nsw u20s & another 2 boys been elevated to Nsw cup.

Congrats Knights boys.

Billy how did Crossland play.?

17. Billy

The commentators said some good things about him, but you can't tell much from their call - half the time they get the names wrong and half the time they waffle on about nothing.

18. Billy

Just did a quick count and we have only used 32 players in Flegg this year so far.
    With all the injuries and 12 players having games in reserve grade I thought we must be up to 40 or so.

Lowrie seems to be able to shuffle players around and get them to do OK in different positions. He has had Hoy at fullback and 5/8, Ofa has played centre, second row and I think he played prop today, Birch has played half and 5/8, as has Loughrey and Starling has played hooker, lock, half etc.

It seems like we have a different side every week, but Lowrie is using a reasonably small group of players and plugging holes by moving them around. He is turning into a really good coach, and the good thing is he is developing a lot of different skills in these players.

Lefty, Frank McWilliams and kdog1 like this.
  19. Billy

Just watched the "round table" thingy for this week and they interviewed Todd Lowrie. They asked him to name three players to watch out for apart from Jones and Saulo. The three Lowrie named were Beau Fermor, Matt Croker and Tex Hoy. All good calls, but in my opinion our best two under 20s are still Brodie Jones just ahead of Tom Starling, and it's certainly no co-incidence that we haven't lost a game of under 20s this year when Starling has played, and I think we only lost 2 or 3 last year, and one of those was where Starling only played the first half of under 20s and had us well ahead at halftime, and then went to get ready to play reserve grade.
    Just my opinion, but I think Starling is the best under 20s player we have ever had, just ahead of Kade Snowden. It might turn out that Tom isn't big enough for firstgrade, but he's a machine at under 20s level.

20. Frank McWilliams

Frank McWilliams Clint Newton

Assume now that Griff is injured we will see more of Starling in reserves, especially next season