2018 Intrust Super Premeirship

Discussion in 'Newcastle Knights Lower Grades' started by Billy, Dec 19, 2017.

1. danknights

danknights Mark Hughes

I agree. I just can't believe how easy he makes tackling look on front rowers. Wrestles like nothing I've ever seen to get them on their back.

2. rhugh89

rhugh89 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

3. Billy

Billy Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Just reading on the NSWRL site that Robbie Farrah was a late inclusion for Norths and dominated the game to get Norths their first win.
    Great experience for Starling to play 53 minutes against Farrah. He'll have picked up a few tips.

4. Frank McWilliams

Frank McWilliams Clint Newton

Out of those stats JSaf 9 missed tackles, is a worry, impressed again with Stones stats,mheavy involvement and 80mins.

5. Billy

Pity Sam Stone isn't a prop.
    You get the feeling that some of these young props are close to firstgrade, but second row is well covered at the moment.

6. Frank McWilliams

His time will come.
    Thoughts, reserves not going well, why?
    My thoughts are we have bought well for 1sts, half of 17 so should be better overall but not getting results and that is due to letting some of our better reserves go and replacements are not quite ready, inexperienced. Thought when we bought well that 1-2 would be playing reserves and helping the development but hasn't happened, all the new buys playing 1sts, not many in reserves with 1sts experience, King, Cogger, Stone with a little bit.

7. Billy

Well Pat and Chanel giving up has ripped a big hole in the plans. They would be close to our best if they wanted to play.
    Amey has also been set back a long way by whatever injury kept him out of training for the last month of preseason.
    The Meaney injury is also a big blow.
    Having said that, our form isn't that bad. We have lost against some really good sides and haven't been too far off the pace. I thought the Norths game was a bad loss till I heard Farrah played and had a strong game, and at this level, Farrah playing well will win just about any game for you.
    I've only seen them play once this year, but I think the young squad will come together and win a few if we don't get too many more injuries.
    Bobby Treacy seems a good prospect - big, strong unit with a lot of improvement in him still. Not sure of his age, but he played for country under 23s last year, so 23 or younger.

Frank McWilliams likes this.
  8. Frank McWilliams

That's the problem now we don't get to see the lower grades much to see who is coming along. Noticed on stats Treacy played 80mins so good motor and right age, maturing.
    Tks

9. Billy

I saw Treacy in the real NRL last year and he has clearly put in a massive pre season. He was roughly the build of Sam Stone last year, and now he is almost the size of the Saifiti's. I suspect he is training like a firstgrader to give it his best shot while still young enough. He is more a prop or lock than a second row, so filling in for Brodie Jones the last 2 games has tested him out I suspect.

10. rhugh89

ROUND 6 TEAM VS NEWTOWN

1. Thomas Cronan
    2. Tom Hughes
    3. Jacob Gagai
    4. Cory Denniss
    5. Mitchell Andrews
    6. Christian Hazard
    7. Jack Cogger
    8. Josh King
    9. Chris Randall
    10. Psami Saulo
    11. Sam Stone
    12. Tori Freeman-Quay
    13. Luke Yates

14. Faitotoa Faitotoa
    15. Junior Roqica
    16. Tyrone Amey
    17. Pat Mata’utia

18. Tom Starling
    19. Bobby Tracey
    20. Daniel Peck

http://live.nswrl.com.au/match/413e134259bc4ebcf/d9adb59783f691b82

11. Billy

Mitch Andrews deserves a shot.
    He is a tall, awkward looking player - a bit like a young SKD - but he makes a lot of metres and scores his fair share of tries. He had a good combination going with Cogger in under 20s last year, so he'll be a target for Cogger to kick to on the wing.
    No Brodie Jones in any grade is a worry. It must have been a really bad head knock he copped.
    Freeman-Quay played in the country under 23s last year alongside Gagai and Bobby Tracey. He is from Canberra. Country player of the year IIRC.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
  12. Frank McWilliams

Interesting Saulo is back and Randall selected yet played limited minutes last week, Starling played more but not in 17. Freeman-quay straight into starting 17, why not Amey, is he not right. What happened to Naden. Nice to see Pat get a run his enthusiasm will lift the side I am sure.

13. Billy

Saulo has had a lot of niggling injuries. He probably just needed a few weeks in under 20s to run them out and get a bit of match fitness.
    Starling will be in the 17 for sure.
    I don't think we will see Pat again. He had a pretty good pre season. In the opposed sessions he was having a running battle with Guerra most games, and keeping him pretty quiet. But in the first 2 games of reserve grade he was either injured or not trying, and I think he was not trying and has given up.

Frank McWilliams likes this.
  14. danknights

danknights Mark Hughes

I thought pat at least deserved a shot in firsts at some stage but him not having a go in reggies just shows his heart. Its a shame because he was starting to get a decent motor.

15. Billy

He might have been injured in the first few rounds, which would explain his terrible stats, and just needed some time off to recover.
    If he plays this week, he might crush it I suppose.

16. Joshhh

Joshhh OnARampageFuelledByGod

His time was last year, he had great stats week on week & was really working his arse off in a new position. Would of been just reward if he got a couple games at the end of the year. However that was last year & he missed his shot, we aren't a wooden spoon team anymore & have depth now that is ahead of him. I wouldn't blame him for giving up this year because he's well & truly down the pecking order now & unlikely to see NRL again.

17. Billy

He started the year on the bench behind 19 year old Brodie Jones. That wouldn't exactly make him cheer, after he had been getting stuck into guys like Guerra and Sione all off season and giving them plenty of headaches.

knightslad likes this.
  18. rhugh89

Reserve Grade match preview: Round 6

Newcastle Knights
    Fri 13 Apr 2018, 01:01 PM

Date: Saturday, April 14
    Time: 3pm

Team

1. Thomas Cronan, 2. Tom Hughes, 3. Jacob Gagai, 4. Cory Denniss, 5. Mitch Andrews, 6. Christian Hazard, 7. Jack Cogger, 8. Josh King, 9. Chris Randall, 10. Pasami Saulo, 11. Sam Stone, 12. Tori Freeman-Quay, 13. Luke Yates. Interchange: 14. Faitotoa Faitotoa, 15. Junior Roqica, 16. Tyrone Amey, 17. Pat Mata’utia, 18. Tom Starling, 19. Bobby Treacy, 20. Daniel Peck.

It’s hasn’t been a great start to the season for the nib Newcastle Knights Reserve Grade side, which has slumped to the bottom of the ladder following a Round 5 loss to the North Sydney Bears.

Coach Simon Woolford admits it’s been a tough couple of weeks, and it’s only going to get harder.

“It’s been hard yakka the last couple of weeks and most games we’ve shown some glimpses, but last weekend I thought was a poor effort,” Woolford stated.

“It was the worst we’ve played all year… ill-discipline early in the game allowed a young, enthusiastic team to get a jump on us and we weren’t good enough to haul them back.

“It’s certainly not getting any easier and we have lost some experience, but the good thing about giving new guys a crack is they’ll be keen and eager to do well."

This week against the Newtown Jets Woolford expects a newly formed side to challenge them on the park.

“We beat them once, they beat us once last year and they missed the finals, but they’re much improved this year,” he said.

“Cronulla's Under 20s broke all sorts of records last year and a lot of them have come up to Newtown ISP so they’re a different team and it’s going to be hard work for us.”

The ISP coach is hoping some movements in his side will make all the difference, starting with Brent Naden out due to injury.

“Brent is going to miss a week or two with a quad injury which he took into the game, so bit of a reshuffle and Tom Cronan goes back to fullback where he played a lot of his junior years,” explained Woolford.

“Mitch Andrews gets his chance after playing well in the Jersey Flegg competition, so we thought he deserved a chance.

“Pasami played the start of the year for us and had to sort out a few areas of his game back in the Under 20s, which hopefully he’s done, and through injuries and NRL guys taking a couple of extras to Melbourne, Pasami gets his chance again.”

Newcomer Tori Freeman-Quay has also taken a starting spot in the forward pack.

“Tori came up from Canberra and I think he was Country Player of the Year last year in the Under 23s Country team,” Woolford said.

“He played really well against Samoa and Scotland... he’s done a full pre-season with our part timers and I’ve been keen to get Tori a game.

“He’s trained well and played well in those big games last year, so I expect him to do a really good job for us.”

https://www.newcastleknights.com.au/news/2018/04/13/reserve-grade-match-preview-round-6/

19. rhugh89

PREVIEWS | ISP Rd 6

Simon Masterton (Twitter: @OiSimmo) & Nicholas Janzen (Twitter: @NicholasJanzen)
    Fri 13 Apr 2018, 03:50 PM

Newcastle Knights v Newtown Jets
    Cessnock Sports Ground
    Saturday, 14 April 3pm

As the Newcastle Knights desperately look to kick their season into gear and get their second win of 2018, they play host to a Newtown Jets side which has been inconsistent this season, but does not seem too far off hitting peak form. The Knights, disappointing in their last-start 28-10 loss to the North Sydney Bears, meet the Jets who will also be coming off a Round 5 defeat.

Newtown coach Greg Matterson, who also revealed he’s nearing the end of his long-lasting career, has long seen the challenge of the M1 road trip.

“When you’ve got to travel it’s always tough, a couple of hours bus trip up there and you’ve got to be really motivated,” Matterson told NSWRL.com.au. “It’s not about Newcastle, we just need to tidy up what we’re doing and build more pressure in the footy games.

“All footy games are won by controlling the footy and you see it with the NRL teams as well, it’s nothing different in the lower grades. If you haven’t got the footy you can’t win the game.”

Possession will clearly be Newtown’s focus in this game, while Newcastle will need to improve on the 40 missed tackles registered last week. The Jets will be without long-time prop Kurt Dillon, who makes his NRL debut and for the second-straight week, and the Knights can no longer rely on the services of Test hooker Danny Levi.

https://www.nswrl.com.au/news/2018/04/13/previews--isp-rd-6/

20. Frank McWilliams

Believe both King and Yates travelled to Melb but didn't play, will they play today? Big game from either or both could see them selected next week, Same goes for Cogger and Denniss.