2018 Harold Matts and SG Ball

Discussion in 'Newcastle Knights Lower Grades' started by Billy, Dec 24, 2017.

1. Billy

Billy Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

18-6 fulltime.
    Our best player was rested, and now we get a week off, so Crossland gets to rest his shoulder for 3 weeks between games before our first knockout final.

Ccmknightspur and Barry Crush like this.
  2. rhugh89

rhugh89 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Great start beating the Panthers in both grades, Well done boys !!

Barry Crush and Ccmknightspur like this.
  3. Barry Crush

Barry Crush Glen Miller

Retired
    I looked for live feed after the Laurie Daley Cup ended and their was none pretty poor effort for NSWRL surely finals day with what 6 or 7 finals games on could of had bar tv or someone stream it.

4. Billy

The crazy thing is that they already pay thousands for professional cameramen to record every game, and live streaming without commentary would cost a fraction more.

Barry Crush likes this.
  5. rhugh89

Week 2 fixtures

Interesting that the minor premiers from both HM and Ball lost in week 1, Sudden death for them now

@Billy which teams pose the biggest threat in your opinion ??

SATURDAY APRIL 21ST

Parramatta Eels v Cronulla Sharks – 10:30am (UNE Harold Matthews Cup)
    Penrith Panthers v Canberra Raiders – 3:00pm (UNE SG Ball Cup)
    Penrith Panthers v Canterbury Bankstown Bulldogs – 4:30pm (UNE Harold Matthews Cup)
    Sydney Roosters v Canterbury Bankstown Bulldogs – 6:00pm (UNE SG Ball Cup)

https://www.nswrl.com.au/news/2018/04/15/fixtures--junior-representatives-finals-week-two/

6. Billy

You don't really know until the finals because many coaches spend all season trying out different combinations and don't settle on their best till the finals.

Actually, our two sides are a good example of the two different approaches coaches can take. In Matts, Kostjaysyn settled on his best squad right from the start and has just made a few positional changes and a few changes forced by injury all season.
    In Ball, Dureau has been trying different players in different positions every game. He has tried all his props as starting props, bench props and given most of them a try at lock. He has been using 3 different hookers and starting a different one nearly every week, he has tried out a few different fullbacks, he has used centres in the second row - one player, Sasagi, has been used as a centre, second row, hooker and halfback. He has also used about 30 players I think. In short, Dureau will settle on his best 17 for our first knockout final I think.

So we don't know which other coaches have had their team playing their best possible combination all season, and which coaches have been doing what Dureau has been doing, and using the season to trial different players and will settle on their best squad for the finals.

What I do know is that our Ball side has been playing well within itself, with key players going off the field as soon as we have wrapped up the win, and players trying out different positions at the end of games, so our Ball side will improve a lot for the last two games, and anyone who beats us will have to lift a lot to match us.

rhugh89 likes this.
  7. rhugh89

8. Billy

Those 2 tries in the last 5 minutes were both kick and pray jobs, but I suppose they had nothing to lose after 55 minutes of good defence from Penrith.
    Penrith have every right to consider themselves unlucky I think.

newy guy29 likes this.
  9. rhugh89

10. Billy

Harry and Matt Croker are such classy forwards. It would be nice if they were a bit bigger, but they do so many little things so well it's hard to fault them. I think they will both be available for under 20s next year (Matt in his last year, Harry a year young). I look forward to seeing how these two really smart and skilful forwards work together.

11. newy guy29

newy guy29 Nathan Ross

real eastate
    Harry is still able to play SG Ball next year. So i doubt you will see him fast tracked to u20s

12. Billy

Matt played under 20s a year young, and Harry is currently playing under 18s a year young, so no reason he won't make under 20s next year.

13. newy guy29

newy guy29 Nathan Ross

real eastate
    Highly doubt it. If you recall Matt played SG Ball all season & was blooded into 20s at seasons end. His brother like all players will 100% play SG Ball first and depending on numbers might get a taste of 20s at seasons end as well.

14. rhugh89

In Harold Matts today Parra smashed the Sharks 46-6 so we play them next Saturday

In SG Ball we play the winner of the Roosters vs Bulldogs game which kicks off later on

15. rhugh89

16. Billy

The Roosters looked clear favourites in Ball, but they are gone in straight sets, so anyone can win now.

Mathews looks hard, but not impossible.