2018 halves combination

Discussion in 'Knights Signings, Rumours & Player Movement' started by krustykraz, Oct 21, 2017.

1. mullenmagic

mullenmagic Justin Holbrook

He's a good finisher but his defence is really bad. The scary thing is I think he and Pete worked well together and somewhat covered up his defensive deficiencies. Assuming he plays outside Moga next year I think he'll struggle more.

2. Billy

Billy Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

I think it was Barnett who said in an interview that one of the main reasons the team's form turned around was that Ross at the back had sorted out their defence and that his talk and energy in attack was also a big factor.
    Ross has things to work on, but his efforts are under appreciated.

Tasgirl likes this.
  3. Beatell

Beatell Matt White

That is one big area I expect Ponga to struggle with for a while being that constant voice at the back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Lefty

Lefty Rod Shoesmith

I don’t think he will. Very few young people in Sydney want to come to Newy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tasgirl likes this.
  5. Billy

Billy Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

We could show him your profile picture - that might get him interested - but you'd have to put your dog in witness protection.

Tasgirl and Wobbles like this.
  6. Lefty

Lefty Rod Shoesmith

My dog is a Sydney girl but she drinks out of a Newcastle Knights water bowl and one of her food bowls is a Knights bowl.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ethan likes this.
  7. Ethan

Ethan Clint Newton

I like Ross but at F/B he always seemed to be out of position to me ...

8. Frank McWilliams

Frank McWilliams Jason Hoogerworf

Leave Ross on the wing he plays very well there unless an absolute emergency such as injury during game. If Ponga is not f/b due to injury or whatever then play either Pythian or Meaney, let's not make several positional changes due to one missing player.

Ethan likes this.
  9. Simon Templar

Simon Templar George Mann

Project Manager
    Ethan, it is the enthusiasm for the game that sets Ross above others, he tries his heart out wherever he is in the team.

Tasgirl likes this.
  10. Ethan

Ethan Clint Newton

Yeah he does and I wouldn't leave him out of the side but just not at F/B.... Enthusiasm is all well and good but it doesn't make tackles or catch balls if your on the wrong side of the field....Leave him at wing where he is our best finisher ....

11. danknights

danknights Clint Newton

Ross got better as the season went on. He made some great 1v1 tackles and our defensive line was getting sorted better each week. It's not all up to the fullback to count numbers in the line.

Ponga needs to be at fullback in attack. As for defense i personally don't think he is even at a Ross level. So I'm all for that. See what happens as the year pans out I suppose.

12. packo

packo :) (:

Government

13. Wobbles

Wobbles Rod Whitaker

Tapping into the experience of our past greats isn't the worst suggestion.

I'm sure we have a couple of decent halves and a hooker we can call on as mentors or consultants for the young fellas if appropriate ;)

14. Kurriboy

Kurriboy Jason Moodie

In defense I found Ross out of position a bit which is something he will learn, but he has to learn to get to ground asap after catching balls when players are coming in to tackle him. His back injury occurred as he caught the ball and instead of going straight to ground to protect his body, he kind of hunched over waiting for the hit he knew was coming.

Anyway, Ponga will be our fullback in attack and defense and will learn his trade.

15. Dodge23

Dodge23 Greg Smith

Looking at each club, we still have one of the weaker halves combinations in my opinion

Brisbane: Milford, Nikorima
    Canberra: Sezer, Austin
    Canterbury: Foran, Mbye
    Cronulla: Townsend, Maloney
    Gold Coast: Taylor, Elgey
    Manly: Cherry-Evans, Green
    Melbourne: Croft, Munster
    New Zealand: Johnson, Hiku
    Newcastle: Lamb, Watson
    North Queensland: Thurston, Morgan
    Parramatta: Moses, Norman
    Penrith: Cleary, Cartwright
    Roosters: Cronk, Pearce
    South Sydney: Reynolds, Walker
    St George Illawarra: Hunt, Widdop
    Wests: Brooks, Reynolds

Pearce realistically squeezes in the top 10 halves in the league in my opinion in terms of current ability and possible ceiling.

Lamb for me is like Brooks at Wests, he needs to develop and his best development will come playing next to an experienced half or learning from one. Perhaps Hodgkinson can provide that in the background along with our coaching staff, but if Pearce was available I'd take him.

If Lamb wanted to leave, i don't see any clubs signing him as a starter, Townsend, Croft and Brooks are probably the worst starting 7's (excluding Lamb) and i rate Croft highly, with the other 2 being local boys like Lamb.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

16. Wobbles

Wobbles Rod Whitaker

Dodge, that's a pretty fair summary.

Penrith are in a similar position with Cleary and Cartwright: those guys have been identified as their long-term halves pairing and I reckon Lamb and Watson should be given the same opportunity to develop together.

For all of the negative stigma surrounding Hodkinson, if we didn't have him as a backup I'd be more inclined to agree with the pursuit of an experienced half.

17. danknights

danknights Clint Newton

Don't forget mullo was around for all lambs career so he has learnt a fair chunk already. It's just putting it all together on the park and it working.

18. beau

beau Peter Malcolm

Mate you have got a few wrong. Blake green is going to the warriors.
    Roosters Kleary. Cronk.
    Bulldogs. Nu brown/mybe Foran
    Penrith Cleary Moylan
    New Zealand. Blake green and Johnson
    Manly cherry Evans / Hastings or Cullen

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

19. packo

packo :) (:

Government
    Our halves are untested. Wouldn't get too worried.

20. Kurriboy

Kurriboy Jason Moodie

I couldn't care less about theoretical halves power rankings. It doesnt mean they are going to perform.

Our halves are young and untested together. And halves are not ranked until they fire and start taking defences apart. Hopefully thats our halves this year.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

member 2299 and Tasgirl like this.