2018 halves combination

Discussion in 'Knights Signings, Rumours & Player Movement' started by krustykraz, Oct 21, 2017.

1. LEVR

LEVR Banned

I didn't read: 'I wana stay'

I read: 'I'm totally prepared to leave if it suits'

slotmachine and packo like this.
  2. Billy

Billy Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

He is too smart a guy to close down his options, but the club are not going to release him, so he says he is going to do his best and make a decision on his future when he has to.
    Some players get all bent and twisted by things they can't control, but the quotes in that article seem to say he'll just keep working and back himself to do well.

3. Kurriboy

Kurriboy Darren Albert

I don't put any stock in what a player says in the press about contract stuff, or clubs, managers, media themselves etc.

Too much politics involved to put any faith in what is being said.

If I were Lamb, apparently dumped from the first grade side after having a good 2017 in a fairly average team, I'd be looking to leave also if I could get a 1st grade gig at another club. I don't see too many clubs that would sign him straight to a 1st grade spot outside manly though.

Brown will be banking on that to keep him, he could leave to another club and fight for a 1st grade position there, or he could stay and fight for it here. Here he has goal kicking as his ace in the hole, and if we are losing those close games again this season, goal kicking along with form may play a factor in his pushing for a 5/8 starting spot. Especially with Brown now having some pressure applied to him to now start getting results.

I'm assuming Ponga will be goal kicking for us next year?

4. rhugh89

rhugh89 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Newcastle Knights 2018 halves plan, will Brock Lamb be chopped?

Steve Zemek, AAP
    December 15, 2017 12:36pm

NOT only are Newcastle bullish about their hopes of retaining local junior Brock Lamb for 2018, they want to lock him up beyond next year.

Lamb’s future has been the source of speculation following the arrival of Mitchell Pearce which threatens to push the talented young playmaker out of Nathan Brown’s top 17.

Manly were rumoured to be hunting his signature for 2018 however the NRL’s salary cap investigation threatens to scupper any hope of them adding to their roster.

Lamb, 20, is off contract at the end of 2018 and Knights CEO Philip Gardner said the club was not only confident he would wear the red, blue and white next year, they would be in a position to re-sign him.

“He’s with us for 2018 and we hope he’s with us longer,” Gardner said.

“He’s a very important part of where we’re at. Brock is a local junior. He was with me announcing a trial game up there in Maitland because he’s a Maitland junior. He’s a champion young man with a lot of ability.”

Pearce and Connor Watson are expected to form Brown’s scrumbase partnership next year and should Lamb’s game time be limited, he could search for other opportunities before the June 30 transfer deadline.

Lamb seemingly came of age in the final two months of the 2017 season, spearheading the Knights to upset wins over St George Illawarra, Warriors and Parramatta.

Gardner made an impassioned pitch for Lamb to remain, predicting he would play plenty of first-grade.

“If I was advising him, I’d be saying ‘Brock wait for the 29th of June to make any decision’. Because he could be playing a lot of first grade between now and then,” Gardner said.

“He’s got a long career ahead of him and it’s going to be a big competition for his signature in 2019. We’ll be one of those clubs competing for it.

“His attitude about playing with Mitch is first-class. He’s not dropped his head, he’s putting in, he’s proving he’s a quality person and a quality player.

“We want the best for Brock and he’ll be with us in 2018. We need him.”

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...d/news-story/cc98af1c6212660b455191aa82db49e7

5. Frank McWilliams

Frank McWilliams Clint Newton

We have money to upgrade and pay Lamb an extension, no worse of finance wise if we spent what Hodko has been getting for a year and paying Lamb for 2-3 years extension, 2019-20. Would love to keep him here.

6. slotmachine

slotmachine Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Can we get a "lamb isn't starting round 1 unless there is an injury" support group sub-forum?

TheBatman likes this.
  7. mullenmagic

mullenmagic John Morris

Are you suggesting Lamb signing a long-term extension at a club where there's a good chance he won't be in first grade isn't going to happen?

8. Frank McWilliams

Frank McWilliams Clint Newton

Didn't say anything about starting with Lamb, just like to have him signed up for additional 2-3 years then see how we are going, just like to keep him, very good player as is Watson, nothing wrong with depth.

9. krustykraz

krustykraz Scott Conley

With a halves combination of Watson, Pearce I'm worried about our kicking game. If Pearce is our only 5th tackle option our attack will become very predictable. Imo Pearce doesn't have the best kicking game as it is.
    Also no goal kicker?

10. LEVR

LEVR Banned

Agreed. Roosters had the same problem with Pierce/Watson combo

Difference is that we'll have a dynamic and creative Ponga. They had Gordon who, let's face it, is flat..

So I think Watson's longterm success in the halves is contingent on how well Ponga takes to the roll of a ball playing fallback, who will need to know how to kick and make a habit of finishing sets well when he needs to

11. slotmachine

Your halves don't need to kick when the second rowers are finding touch at the end of every set.

LEVR and danknights like this.
  12. mozza

mozza Game on broheim

And you don’t rate Sione. He probably had more kicks than Cooper Cronk last season.

13. krustykraz

krustykraz Scott Conley

lol. I hope we do a little less of that this season.
    In saying that Buhrers kicking game isn't the worst.

14. LEVR

LEVR Banned

Barnett did some crazy shlt with the boot too

15. rhugh89

rhugh89 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Both Lamb and Watson were named in the 2018 emerging blues squad this morning

slotmachine and Wobbles like this.
  16. cowboyman

cowboyman Steve Simpson

Hospitality
    According to the mole today. Cogger wants out of the Knights with the Bulldogs wanting him. They need to release a player to fit him though. Knights prepared to let him go.

17. slotmachine

Swap for Josh Morris.

18. Wobbles

Wobbles Rodney Howe

That'd be an awesome trade, but unfortunately Josh confirmed last week he's locked in with the doggies for 2018 and not leaving.

19. krustykraz

krustykraz Scott Conley

20. Beatell

Beatell Bill Peden