2018 Centres

Discussion in 'Knights Signings, Rumours & Player Movement' started by krustykraz, Nov 18, 2017.

1. beau

beau Banned

Surely Jimmy Elias gets a NSW cup contracted because of his performances this year and in the World Cup.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Defender1 likes this.
  2. luke46

luke46 Glen Miller

I'd nearly stick with what we have for 2018 (moga, skd) and look at throwing some good cash at some of the talent coming off contract at the end of 2018 I.e. Joseph Manu, Curtis Scott. I think we could use at least one really tall winger for our halves to kick too as well.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2017
  3. krustykraz

krustykraz Jason Martin

I watched the Nick Meaney interview today, in it he says he has played at fullback, centre and wing. would he be a good option for a centre? I like the way he plays from the little I've seen.

4. Billy

Billy Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

He's only played fullback in his 2 years at the Knights, so who knows.

5. Rob

Rob James Goulding

I really think Sione can kill it in the centres. Play with his head and not his heart he'll go well. Gotta learn or relearn to use his feet.

6. member 2299

member 2299 Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Retired
    The problem is Rob he has been playing with his head getting it into the wrong position tackling sadly hence this concussion.

7. Frank McWilliams

Frank McWilliams Clint Newton

2018 will be an establishing year, big improvement, hopefully 8th to 12th, and a chance for players to establish themselves, we can purchase more players looking towards 2019 if things don't work out. Only top notch players should be signed now in positions we need, fringe SOO or long term established professionals, we have enough potentials in the lower grades which hopefully will improve

8. Lord of the Skraelings

Lord of the Skraelings Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Chairman of Marathon Stadium Forums.
    He'd better hit the treadmill then drop 15kgs, work on sprints, work on his lateral movement, work on his defensive reads, and develop a passing game.

About the only tool he has as a centre at the moment is his football boots.

9. Lord of the Skraelings

Pretty sad for a bloke that's been a footballer for the better part of his life.

Sione needs to realise he is not bigger and stronger then the opposition anymore, get his ego in check and stop trying to run over the top of them.

10. Rob

Rob James Goulding

Exactly, so adapt his game. He has enough experience to be able to do so. If not he goes by the wayside.
    Drop 15 kg's?? That's just crazy talk. Moga 107kg. Most centres are up around 100. Last year Sione played at 102. Perfect for a modern centre. I actually doubt he'll cut it but it's about the only position left for him.
    Talk about shrimps, yeah let's play 90 odd kg Buhrer in the back row.

11. Lord of the Skraelings

You do realise that Moga is a foot taller right? Siona is a garden gnome compared to most centers.

I've said it a 1000 times, why do we need to reinvent the wheel for 1 player?

He was awful at center, average in the backrower and sent to Disney Land each week.

It was only 3 years ago he was a winger were he was decent, but do you really see him competing athletically with modern wingers and their freakish finishes?

Best thing for him would be 12 months out of the game to get his head issue's right, then after waking up without vertigo and headaches most weeks and enjoying the delights of fatherhood, decide if its best for him and his family if he continues his journey to serious health issues at 45.

Just because we need a center doesn't make Sione a decent option, and his a danger to himself and a liability to himself and the club if he continues in the backrow.

Wobbles likes this.
  12. Rob

Rob James Goulding

As i said, adapt or perish.

13. Joshhh

Joshhh OnARampageFuelledByGod

That's his genetics it seems unfortunately. When Sione first came through he was skinny, then after a year or 2, his arms were much bigger & he looked to be developing well. I even said at the time, I was half expecting him to grow to the size of an Inglis centre. He has room to get more solid & chunky, or trimmer, but doesn't seem like getting any taller.

14. Joshhh

He actually had some pretty good finishes, a few of those trademark wingers dives for both us & the Kangaroos, one was for the winning try of the Four Nations final, but I think it was called back for forward pass. It's more the highball I'd be worried about, he'll get jumped over all day.

15. Lord of the Skraelings

Yep, sadly he doesn't fit any position.

16. Defender1

Defender1 Steve Simpson

Sione is 6 foot... far from the shortest outside back in the NRL.

17. Rob

Rob James Goulding

Yeah, Moga's 7ft.

18. Ethan

Ethan Mark Hughes

Personally I think Sione played well at centre and will do so again if Brown puts him there especially with SKD or Ross outside him ...

Knighted and Onemangang like this.
  19. Joshhh

Phythian might be an option:

Able to play a number of positions, Phythian said he hasn't got any particular role in mind when he does get back on the field.

“I will be training a bit of fullback and in the halves, also centre has been thrown up there as well... but I'm happy to play wherever,” said Phythian.

“Wherever I play, I just want an injury-free year and to be able to pull together a few consistent games, that would be good.

“The centre position is there for the taking so depending on how I come back from the injury, movement wise, and how I go with the ball, will determine that."

http://www.newcastleknights.com.au/news/2017/12/05/phythian_takes_next_.af_news.html

LEVR likes this.
  20. Aidos

Aidos Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Another general kicking option with Phythian on the field. which could be handy. Pearce will be the only one that can really kick otherwise.