2017 Pre-Season

Discussion in 'Newcastle Knights Discussion' started by Billy, Aug 28, 2016.

1. jamesgould

jamesgould Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus Staff Member Admin

You're doing god's work.

88Knight4life likes this.
  2. member 2299

member 2299 Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Retired
    Can this be the same Kenny Powers who was telling some they were 'looney tunes' not believing in Sione? When his fitness level was high coming from centre he did have some great impact, but for mine has looked a little lazy at times.

3. 88Knight4life

88Knight4life Matthew Johns

You mean his become settled and started to go about the motions?

I didnt half bang on about it for no reason...... his a kid still and will learn over time but ol Kenny wont listen.

4. Kenny Powers

Kenny Powers Banned

Well that's possibly true, about Sione essentially being lazy, but im not about to blindly agree with you and for many good reasons

The main one being; Sione is not lazy lmfao

Nothing about how he plays/trains have ever indicated laziness. In fact, he is notorious for his effort in both

So while it may be true that he is 'slacking off' I'm not so sure myself.. That's why time will tell. If he hasn't changed in a couple of months then I will laud you for your insights, rightfully. But until we have some evidence I can't agree with you.

So far he had one 'average' game. First game of the season. So lets wait and see. He could have a blinder this Sat and all of a sudden you go back to being categorically wrong haha

5. 88Knight4life

Where in any post did i call him LAZY?

Ive seen him do what all 3 other brothers have done

Get comfortable in said position after a few good games then they all start to drop off and go into the motions of doing enough.

As i said his still a kid and has more heart then most so he will grow into a better long term player.

He wont be a top 5 back rower in 2017 or SOO player.... maybe in 18ths though.

6. Kenny Powers

Kenny Powers Banned

The first sentence above is in conflict with the second and the third

In your first line you claimed that you hadn't accused him of laziness, but then immediately proceed to make the case for how and why Sione is resting on his laurels

I'm actually confused. How have you not accused him of being or becoming lazy?

7. Billy

Billy Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

It's an odd thing that all four brothers have had great firstgrade debuts, have always played well when moved to a new position, and all went great in rep games whenever they have played them. They seem to rise to a challenge every time, but all get worse and worse the more they play a position or a grade. It has to be a mental thing.

8. Kenny Powers

Kenny Powers Banned

Notwithstanding that, he may well be lazy. I just don't think it's the best explanation for why he had a quiet game. And I think it's presumptuous to then expect his next game to be similarly 'sub par'

I think we do agree though, he showed us a fair bit last year

Tasgirl likes this.
  9. member 2299

member 2299 Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Retired
    I think the four of them could well be in the 'comfort zone' after Hages signed three of them for big bickies and Pete came back.

Interesting to hear Cam Smith say this very thing about himself and Bellyache challenged him to rise above his current level.

10. 88Knight4life

Lazy is not the issue, he just doesnt show the hunger he can all the time...

FYI he was average in the all stars game
    Average in the trial and average in rd1

3 games in a row he has been below the pedestal YOU have suggested for him to be.

Ive debated those calls since day dot and until he is consistent in his game ill continue to debate this top 5/SOO player u see.

Put it this way... Korbs played better in RD1 at a new club yet in ur opinion he way chit.

slotmachine likes this.
  11. Matty23

Matty23 Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Retail
    Sione may have been quiet in attack but he still got through a decent workload all while in two different positions mind you.

12. Kenny Powers

Kenny Powers Banned

Korbin played below what would be considered a par performance for a starting prop. If it weren't for being put in a hole and running 20 metres he'd have ended the game with 85 running metres and 23 tackles.. hardly a great game

Sione played centre for half the game and came up with better numbers than that

13. 88Knight4life

U are a simpleton.....

By running into a hole u mean taking a hitup 20m out on the second splitting 3 defenders and offloading... then sure.

Aka D Saifiti must of went chit on the weekend then?
    Infact our whole front row did.....

Honest mistake mate i know what u meant :cool:

14. Kurriboy

Kurriboy Jason Moodie

Here is as good a spot as any for this.

Just read an article on Ross, how he had vision issues al last year.

KNIGHTS cult hero Nathan Ross has revealed he underwent eye surgery over the summer because his sight was so bad that he could barely see the ball in 2016.

This may explain why he isn't getting a run at fullback!

15. Tasgirl

Tasgirl Tasgirl

Hippie.
    I feel "complacency" is a better word to use in regards to the brothers....lazy implies they don't give a toss.:oops:

Lefty and 88Knight4life like this.
  16. slotmachine

slotmachine Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

What a joke it was Hodko saying this was his best pre-season ever. Whoever is in charge of PR at the Knights is the only one who deserves a raise.

Wasn't actually allowed to run, now he's not kicking to protect his knee. LOL.

17. Lord of the Skraelings

Lord of the Skraelings Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

modern burlesque dancer
    Surely Hodko calls it a day soon his beyond embarrasing.

18. slotmachine

slotmachine Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

As Barry Toohey says he's got more than 600000 reasons to keep playing. He won't get a medical retirement insurance payout for a degenerative issue like his knees.

19. Joel

Joel Touche...

Snowden - retired due to neck,
    Kostjasyn - might retire due breathing issues
    McManus - retired due to head injuries
    Phythian - ACL, out for the year
    Hodkinson - his knee is cooked
    Mullen - druggy
    Bhana - foot, out for the year probably

Now that's an impressive list and proves we can't catch a break AT ALL, it's almost comical how cursed we are lol. I can't believe all of this has been within the last year. Not to forget Pauli's car crash and the back to back news of Jack Bird going to the Broncos and Buhrer's broken foot.

20. R_A

R_A Todd Bates

Uni Student, Investor, Entrepreneur
    The sad thing is up until Buhrers foot injury this wasn't too bad of an injury run for us earlier when it started with Phythian compared to previous years.
    Not counting the medical retirements from last year and I'd say losing Mullen is a bit negated with being able to give Lamb valuable starters experience.