2017 NYC Holden Cup

Discussion in 'Newcastle Knights Lower Grades' started by rhugh89, Oct 29, 2016.

1. Matty23

Matty23 Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Retail
    32-0 after 30. Lowrie must be smashing these kids in their defensive drills.

2. Matty23

Matty23 Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Retail
    32-6 at halftime, Cooper our try scorer.

3. cowboyman

cowboyman Steve Simpson

Hospitality
    I'm guessing whoever is marking Tuala is probably having a tough game. Best centre in the 20's in my opinion.

4. 88Knight4life

88Knight4life Adam MacDougall

Dont think his scored today as yet.

Carroll has 3 pies tho

5. cowboyman

cowboyman Steve Simpson

Hospitality
    That surprises me.

6. rhugh89

rhugh89 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

FULLTIME - NYC HOLDEN CUP

North QLD Cowboys - 54
    Newcastle Knights - 12 (T: Cooper, Johns G: Johns 2/2)

Team

1. Matt Cooper
    2. Mitch Andrews
    3. Brayden Musgrove
    4. Heath Gibbs
    22. Lachlan Farr
    6. Jack Johns
    7. Hayden Loughrey
    8. Cameron King
    18. Nash Birch
    10. Pasami Saulo
    11. Henry Penn
    12. Sam McIntyre
    13. Dylan Clark

14. Josh Ralph
    15. Matt Croker
    16. Jayden Butterfield
    17. Eddy Tuilotolava

7. Billy

Billy Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Stats are up.
    Matt Cooper ran 144 metres, had a line break and scored a try.
    Eddy T was the only other player to break 100 metres.
    Jack Johns must be feeling the pressure - he topped the tackle count, topped the tackle breaks and scored a try

Tasgirl likes this.
  8. Jaybro

Jaybro Todd Anderson

How has young Johns been going ?

From the limited stuff I've seen of him he looks pretty good .....

9. Billy

The worry with him is a high number of missed tackles. If he can fix that he should go OK in the seniors next year. Everything else looks pretty good.

Jaybro likes this.
  10. member 2299

member 2299 Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Retired
    Look at it this way Billy. Like life, the more tackles you try, the more you are gonna miss.

11. rhugh89

Best position mate or not sure yet ??

12. Jaybro

Jaybro Todd Anderson

Thanks mate, as I said I haven't a lot of him but as a Knights fan who grew up watching the Johns brothers play in the halves a big part of me wants young Jack to follow in their footsteps......

13. Billy

He's only played 5/8 so far. He does look like he could have a go at a few positions.

14. rhugh89

Reality check for NYC Knights

Mon 24th April, 12:15PM

NYC Newcastle Knights coach Todd Lowrie said last weekend’s 54-12 loss to the North Queensland Cowboys in Townsville was a reality check for his squad.

The home side stacked on 32 points in the first half only to continue the scoring dominance against the Knights in the last 40 minutes.

“It appears that we didn’t handle the travel well,’ Lowrie said after the match.

“We didn’t start well, we didn’t finish well, I think we didn’t turn up ready to play unfortunately.”

The Under 20s coach admits they were playing against a talented side who are ranked second on the ladder.

“We were playing against a team that are doing really well,” Lowrie said.

“We have been going okay in the last few weeks but a bit of a reality check this time.

“Bit of a lesson for us just turning up every week ready to play and not to expect things to happen.”

Lowrie said he was disappointed with energy levels throughout the match.

“I don’t know whether the travel got to the guys, I’m not sure what the reasons are, I guess I’m just looking for excuses,” explained the NYC coach.

“We just didn’t seem to have any energy right from the start.

“There is not a great deal to say, when you play like that and get beaten convincingly.

“I am sure there are a few guys in there that are quite embarrassed by the score line so that is all the motivation they need for next week I think.”

The NYC Knights travel to the Gold Coast on Friday for their Round 9 clash against the Gold Coast Titans this Saturday.

http://www.newcastleknights.com.au/news/2017/04/24/reality_check_for_ny.html

15. rhugh89

UNDER 20s

1. Matt Cooper
    2. Mitch Andrews
    3. Brayden Musgrove
    4. Heath Gibbs
    5. Kainoa Gudgeon
    6. Hayden Loughrey
    7. Josh Ralph
    8. Cameron King
    9. Tom Starling (c)
    10. Matt Croker
    11. Henry Penn
    12. Sam McIntyre
    13. Jack Johns

14. Dylan Clark
    15. Pasami Saulo
    16. Jayden Butterfield
    17. Eddy Tuilotolava
    18. Nash Birch
    19. Cory Denniss
    20. Will Finau
    21. Zac Hosking
    22. Lachlan Farr
    23. Jayden Hocking

http://www.newcastleknights.com.au/news/2017/04/25/reserve_grade_and_ny.html

16. Billy

Matt Crocker to starting prop in his 3rd game of NYC is a vote of confidence in him.
    Jack Johns at lock is an interesting selection.
    Ralph into the 7 is also a big selection.

EASBay17 and rhugh89 like this.
  17. rhugh89

LADDER AFTER ROUND 8

Holden Cup Ladder Round 8.png

18. rhugh89

Holden Cup Round 9 previews

Wed 26 Apr, 2017, 4:00pm
    By Martin Gabor, National Correspondent‌‌, ‌‌‌NRL.com

Titans v Knights

This is the second meeting between the sides in 2017, with the Titans claiming a thrilling 44-40 win in Round 2 in a match that saw defence go out the window.

Very little separates them with both teams on eight competition points after eight rounds, although the Titans have a game in hand.

The Knights were thrashed in Townsville last week while Gold Coast were blown off Shark Park in what was their most disappointing performance of the year.

Tip: Titans by 2

http://www.nrl.com/holden-cup-round-9-previews/tabid/10874/newsid/106069/default.aspx

19. Billy

Ralph might be the big difference against his old club.

20. rhugh89

NYC match preview: Round 9

Thu 27th April, 12:58PM

Gold Coast Titans v Newcastle Knights
    Date: Saturday April 29
    Venue: Cbus Super Stadium
    Kick-off: 12.40pm

Squads

Knights

1. Matt Cooper, 2. Mitch Andrews, 3. Brayden Musgrove, 4. Heath Gibbs, 5. Kainoa Gudgeon, 6. Hayden Loughrey, 7. Josh Ralph, 8. Cameron King, 9. Tom Starling, 10. Matt Croker, 11. Henry Penn, 12. Sam McIntyre, 13. Jack Johns. Interchange: 14. Dylan Clark, 15. Pasami Saulo, 16. Jayden Butterfield, 17. Eddy Tuilotolava, 18. Nash Birch, 19. Cory Denniss, 20. Will Finau, 21. Zac Hosking, 22. Lachlan Farr, 23. Jayden Hocking.

Titans

1. Phillip Sami, 2. Tyronne Roberts-Davis, 3. Tyler Ingram, 4. Daniel Brownbill, 5. Curtis Dansey-Smaller, 6. Ethan Roberts, 7. Alexander Brimson, 8. Moeaki Fotuiaka, 9. Tim Swane, 10. Kobe Tararo, 11. Rory Lillis, 12. Apiata Noema, 13. Reihana Marsh. Interchange. 14. Zae Wallace, 15. Keenan Yorston, 16. Justin Fai, 17. Blake Lenehan, 18. Luke Polson, 19. Corey Manicaros, 20. Bostyn Hakaraia, 21. Jordan Birch, 22. Tye Barry, 23. Xavier Johansson.

Match Analysis

NYC Newcastle Knights coach Todd Lowrie admits there’ll be a few changes against the Gold Coast Titans this weekend.

Showing he’s a versatile asset to the squad, Jack Johns will switch from his usual starting position of five-eighth to the back row.

“Jack (Johns) has actually been playing a bit of back row for us,” said Lowrie.

“He will start there; Josh Ralph will come into the halves and Jack will start in the back row for the first time this season.”

ISP regulars Kainoa Gudgeon and captain Tom Starling will also return to the side.

“With Trent (Hodkinson) playing reserve grade that pushes Tyler (Randell) back to hooker and pushes Tom (Starling) back to us and at this stage he’ll be back with us,” Lowrie explained.

Under 18s talent Matt Croker will also get his first start for the season in the number 10 jersey.

“He was really good, he had his first go for us on the weekend and he came up from the Under 18s and picked up the Players’ Player award,” commented Lowrie.

“His team mates certainly appreciated what he did and he played really well so he gets his chance to start.”

After a disappointing 54-12 defeat to the North Queensland Cowboys last weekend, the Under 20s coach says the side has worked hard on putting a spark back into their game for this weekend.

“When we had our review on Monday, it was pretty confronting for a lot of the team,” Lowrie explained.

“I know the guys are motivated to come out and do a lot better this week that’s for sure.”

Lowrie admits the Titans will want to bounce back from their 36-point loss to the Cronulla Sharks last week.

“It will be an interesting battle between the two of us to see who bounces back the best after pretty heavy losses last week,” he said.

“It is another trip away for us so I guess a bit of a carbon copy of last week.

“Probably the best way to go about it is to jump straight back into it where the guys can have another chance of doing a bit better than last week.”

Again, with travel this week, the coaching staff is set to lighten the load for the Under 20s.

“Feedback last week, the guys said they felt a little bit tired or didn’t have as much energy as they have done,” explained Lowrie.

“The long day travel may have taken it out of them so being that we’re back on a plane this week, we’ll try and lighten them up towards the end of the week.”

Where it will be won

The focus is on their own game plan.

“I reckon we have to worry about ourselves this week and concentrate on getting back to doing the things that we have been doing well,” said Lowrie.

“The Titans are a very strong team particularly at home but I think a lot of the focus this weekend will be on our defence and what we do well and getting back to doing that.”

http://www.newcastleknights.com.au/news/2017/04/27/nyc_match_preview_ro.html