2017 NSW Cup

PREVIEWS | ISP NSW Round 16

Andre Cupido (Twitter: @AndreCupido10)
Fri 23rd June, 01:00PM

Illawarra Cutters v Newcastle Knights
UOW Jubilee Kogarah, Sunday 25 June
11:45am

Defending premiers Illawarra have struggled to find consistency this season and are coming off back-to-back losses to the Bulldogs and Roos.

Now sitting outside the top four, they will be looking to find their feet towards the back end of the year and get back to their grinding best against a Knights team fresh off the bye.

Dynamic fullback Matt Dufty has shown signs of his blistering best after opening the scoring against the Roos, and has worked well with halfback Shaun Nona who has been one of their most consistent performers in 2017.

The Knights would have relished the week off with the two points having them now sit just outside the top eight on points difference, and will be looking to cement themselves as a genuine title contender within the coming weeks.

The added experience of former NSW VB Blues halfback Trent Hodkinson will be crucial against a well-drilled Illawarra team, and will be looking to continue his strong combination with halves partner William Pearsall and young NSW Under-20s fullback Nick Meaney.

http://www.nswrl.com.au/news/2017/06/23/previews_isp_nsw_rou.html

Believe this game will be telecast, foxtel, looking forward to seeing it, time for a few of these boys to put hand up for contract next year, time is running out

Cronin had a big game last game, and I think he is trying hard for a contract.
Pauli is improving every game and it's time for him to show what he can do.
Pat Mat will have to play as a middle forward for the first time I think, and it will be interesting to see how he goes.
Pearsall has been doing most of the kicking, so interesting to see who does it this game.
Chanell has looked injured in every game I've seen him play for 2 years. I wish him the best, because we could use his power in the top grade - fingers crossed.
Braidie Smith has been back from injury for a month or so and he looks very impressive as an athlete. He trained his heart out in the pre season and then got injured, so he deserves a chance.

Haven't seen coronas yet, Pauli needs tommy r as coach slap slap go get them, he has been a disappointment, pat at I like played. Well in games I've seen, hits hard, pearsall not not fussed on, chanmat is always injured but has another season to get right, smith is promising

Haven't seen coronas yet, Pauli needs tommy r as coach slap slap go get them, he has been a disappointment, pat at I like played. Well in games I've seen, hits hard, pearsall not not fussed on, chanmat is always injured but has another season to get right, smith is promising

Cronin probably loves a few coronas

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Oh just another member took a little holiday for a bet he placed. Was useless at spelling when he first got here.

Our side for today:

1. Nick Meaney
2. Tom Hughes
23. Cory Denniss
4. Chanel Mata’utia
5. Thomas Cronan
6. Jack Cogger
7. Trent Hodkinson (c)
8. Mickey Paea
14. Will Pearsall
17. Pauli Pauli
11. Braden Smith
15. Braden Robson
13. Jack Stockwell

9. Tom Starling
16. Pat Mata’utia
20. Tyrone Amey
21. Sam Bernstrom

TRY! Tom Hughes scores out wide off a Meaney cut out pass. Hodkinson nails the sideline conversion, 6-0.

We concede back to back penalties but our goal line defence holds strong as Illawarra turn over the ball.

TRY! Illawarra make another error and Cronan dives over in the corner off a Hodkinson chip. Kick successful and it's 12-0 after 18 minutes.

We concede a penalty and Illawarra score through Thompson. Nona misses, 12-4 after 22 minutes.

After another penalty and an error we concede another. Try to Dufty. 5-0 penalty count going against us, discipline has been terrible. Field misses and it's 12-8.

Back