2017 City vs Country

Discussion in 'Rep Footy' started by rhugh89, Nov 21, 2016.

1. rhugh89

rhugh89 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Final Country v City match celebration

Mon 21 Nov, 2016, 9:45am
    Media Release, NRL

Some of the greatest players ever to represent Australia will be honoured during the final Country v City match next year.

Country Rugby League (CRL) and NSW Rugby League (NSWRL) today announced that Mudgee will host the match on Sunday 7 May at the Glen Willow Regional Sports Stadium.

CRL CEO Terry Quinn said he was determined that the historic match, which has been staged on and off since 1911, would go out on a high.

"Country NSW has produced some of the finest players to wear the green and gold and we will pay tribute to them during this final match," Mr Quinn said.

"Players like Mick Cronin, Blocker Roach, Boyd Cordner, Tyson Frizell and so many others learnt their craft in country areas and went on to become greats in our game."

NSWRL CEO Dave Trodden echoed the sentiments of the CRL, saying that NSW city players had enjoyed playing in matches against the country teams.

"The Country v City clash is one of the most exciting days on the rugby league calendar for the host country town," Mr Trodden said.

"This match will be a great opportunity for fans in the country to see some of the state's best players in action as we say farewell to this special event."

NRL Head of Football Brian Canavan said the final Country v City match would usher in a new era of rugby league for country regions.

"While it is disappointing that we cannot fit this game into the schedule post 2017, we are determined to take more rugby league to regional New South Wales and other communities throughout the country," Mr Canavan said.

"We want to encourage all our club sides to showcase their stars to country fans during the Telstra Premiership.

"In the draw we will be releasing shortly, there will be a host of games played throughout the country – and that is a trend which will continue."

Mid-Western Region Mayor Des Kennedy said the announcement was an exciting opportunity for the region.

"Rugby league has a major following in many regional towns and we are extremely proud to welcome New South Wales country and city players back to Mudgee's world-class sporting facility for a second time, after hosting the match back in 2012," Mayor Kennedy said.

"I have no doubt locals and visitors will get behind the game and show their support for what is sure to be a memorable event."

Tickets for the Country v City match will go on sale in February 2017 at www.nrl.com/tickets with fans encouraged to secure their seats early.

http://www.nrl.com/final-country-v-city-match-celebration/tabid/10874/newsid/102677/default.aspx

2. rhugh89

Be interested to hear some thoughts on city vs country being scrapped after 2017, Right move or no ??

3. Matty23

Matty23 Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Retail
    I think as the years go on more people are starting to become less interested in it for their own different reasons. For instance I've heard some people aren't too fond of it anymore just because they think it's purely an origin audition game. Low crowd numbers, unwarranted player selections those type of things as well. I don't mind the game but at the end of the day it wouldn't faze me if it was completely dusted.

4. ryan.berger.56

ryan.berger.56 Steve Simpson

I like city country, it's tradition. I feel like the NRL is changing into something it's not and this is another example. The actual game being scrapped won't affect much, just takes a bit part of our history away and that's what's disappointing

5. rhugh89

Tickets on sale for final Country v City

Mon 20 Feb, 2017, 10:15am
    Media Release, NRL

Tickets are now on sale for the 2017 Country v City match, to be played in Mudgee on Sunday 7 May at Glen Willow Regional Sports Stadium.

The previous two Country v City matches have produced capacity crowds, with a packed stadium in Mudgee expected to turn out to celebrate and pay tribute to the final Country v City match.

NRL Club Members can purchase tickets from today (Monday, February 20) for as little as $18 for an adult pass and $42 for a family pass.

All other NRL fans can purchase tickets from tomorrow morning (Tuesday, February 21)) at 10:00am for as little as $20 for an adult pass and $45 for a family pass.

Country Rugby League CEO Terry Quinn said the fixture will always hold a special place in the hearts of regional rugby league fans and encouraged league lovers from throughout the Western region to secure their tickets early.

"Mudgee boasts one of the best sporting facilities in regional New South Wales and the town has a proud tradition of showing their support for major events in the region," Mr Quinn said.

"We're really looking forward to getting the Country team out amongst the community and celebrating the rich history of this game.

"Our players have always been proud to pull on the Country jersey and for those who are selected in the team to pull on the jersey for the final time, I'm sure it will be a special occasion."

New South Wales Rugby League CEO Dave Trodden expected another huge crowd for the match, as many prepared to acknowledge the enormous contribution the fixture has carried over many years.

"The Country v City match has sold out on both occasions in the past two years and I hope the trend continues for this final match in the wonderful town of Mudgee," Mr Trodden said.

"It is a great opportunity for fans in the country to see some of the state's best players in action as we farewell this special event."

NRL Head of Football Brian Canavan said that despite the upcoming Country v City match being the last of its kind, regional towns can expect more rugby league than ever before.

"We are committed to working with our NRL Clubs to bring more rugby league to regional New South Wales and other parts of the country into the future," Mr Canavan said.

"Already we have trial games and Telstra Premiership matches in regional parts of the country and outside the east coast capital cities and from 2018 onwards, I expect the number of opportunities for teams to visit regional New South Wales and elsewhere to rise.

"Our regional fan-base is very important to the NRL and our Clubs and many of the game's best players come from regional backgrounds."

A limited number of grandstand seats are available for the match and fans are encouraged to secure their tickets early, with a range of seating categories and tickets available at nrl.com/tickets

http://www.nrl.com/tickets-on-sale-for-final-country-v-city/tabid/10874/newsid/103921/default.aspx

6. rhugh89

Bulldogs tell NRL their players are unavailable for City-Country Origin selection

DAVID RICCIO, EXCLUSIVE, The Daily Telegraph
    April 24, 2017 8:00pm

CANTERBURY have made the unprecedented call to advise the NRL their players will be excluded from City-Country Origin selection in a move designed to protect their welfare.

In a final blow for the annual representative fixture, which will be held for the 89th and final time on May 7 in Mudgee, every eligible player to represent City or Country from the Bulldogs, will be overlooked when both teams are chosen this Sunday.

The Bulldogs decision is heavily based on an unfavourable NRL draw, which has provided the club with just three days to recover between the City-Country Origin clash and their subsequent round 10 match against North Queensland on Thursday night May 11, at ANZ Stadium.

Canterbury Bulldogs chief executive Raelene Castle advised NRL head of football Brian Canavan last Friday that the club’s priority was the welfare of their player’s and that due to the prospect of playing two matches in four days, none of their players would be available for City-Country.

“It’s disappointing for our player’s not to be in the running for selection when for some of them it could be the highlight of their representative football career,’’ Castle said.

“There’s probably three or four guys that we could say that about, but this about our player’s welfare and that’s something we will never treat lightly.’’

Bulldogs coach Des Hasler has informed his player’s of the club’s decision.

The NRL said that they would continue to work with the Bulldogs, as they will all club’s, to ensure the best available players from all playing representative football.

If the Dogs decision stands, it means that a host of Bulldogs players eligible for City-Country Origin including both Brett and Josh Morris, Marcelo Montoya, Josh Reynolds, Matt Frawley, Aiden Tolman, Michael Lichaa, Josh Jackson, Kerrod Holland and Adam Elliott will be missing from the clash.

The list doesn’t include Test candidates for Australia David Klemmer, England’s James Graham and New Zealand’s Sam Kasiano.

Ironically, it was the lack of support from club’s which led the NRL to ultimately determine that despite being part of the rugby league fabric since 1928, the City-Country Origin fixture in Mudgee would be the last ever instalment.

As they have done in the past, the NRL and RLPA are willing to assist the Bulldogs rest and recovery process.

It was in similar circumstances last year that both St George-Illawarra and Canberra were asked to play, just four days after the 2016 City-Country Origin clash.

Both teams were afforded suitable travel arrangements to assist their recovery.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...n/news-story/9978f7403d5ea70f05e3f43fce1f57cc

7. member 2299

member 2299 Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Retired
    Hear hear!

It is all a crock of BS Laurie's 'positions are up for grabs' line each year. He has been about Hayne after only one game and if that is his selection trial, wipe it from the program once and for all.

The maroons must wet the nappies laughing about Hayne.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
  8. packo

packo :) (:

Government
    I'd also like Origin to be one game. I think it smashes clubs and just feels a waste of time playing a third if it isn't required. The way origin use to be played was one thing but NRL should be focusing more on getting other nations competitive.

9. member 2299

Retired
    I'd like it to be none.

******s on TV and QRL rate it higher than winning the Premiership.

10. Joshhh

Joshhh OnARampageFuelledByGod

He's a big game player & has always been good for NSW. I'm pretty sure Queensland would rather he wasn't in our arsenal come Origin time.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
  11. member 2299

Retired
    We don't have an arsenal Josh we have a pop gun. Just wait untilgthe team is picked same old same old.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
    packo likes this.
  12. packo

packo :) (:

Government
    I think they'd love nothing more than belt him. He's off his head. Can't stand him now

13. rhugh89

Ross gunning for City jersey

Wed 26th April, 03:23PM

Nathan Ross admits it would be a massive honour to be selected in next weekend’s City v Country clash.

The nib Newcastle Knights winger said it’s on his bucket list to represent City in the final showdown.

“I see that a few clubs are saying that players can’t play or they are going to stop them from doing it but it would be a massive honour to represent this Club,” explained Ross.

“From the beginning of the pre-season, it was one of my goals to play in the Round 1 team, I’ve accomplished that and now it’s to play City Country.

“It would be a huge honour for me to represent the Newcastle Knights and our fan base.”

Ross said it’s an historic event that delights football fans across the state’s regional areas.

“I reckon the country people that get out there and support these games wherever it’s played, makes it huge,” commented Ross.

“I know that back in the day it was seen more as a trial for Origin but to be able to play representative football at any chance should be a goal of any player in the competition.

“I could keep harping on, it would be a massive honour for me, a massive thing on my bucket list if I get it.

“I have just got to keep my work rate up and secure those tries, hopefully have another good showing this weekend and hopefully get a phone call from Freddie (Brad Fittler).

“I think if you do get picked in representative games, it does show you are putting your team first, it shows that you are playing good football week in and week, it shows you are doing well for your Club.”

http://www.newcastleknights.com.au/news/2017/04/26/ross_gunning_for_cit.html

14. rhugh89

Gallen to captain NSW City against Country

Thu 27 Apr, 2017, 2:57pm
    Warren Barnsley, AAP

Paul Gallen will end his short-lived representative retirement to captain NSW City against Country in the historic fixture's final edition in Mudgee next week.

The former Blues captain, who ended his State of Origin career last year, was approached by City coach Brad Fittler to play in the annual clash on May 7.

"Having lost my only game for City, I'd love to lead the side to victory.

"There will be a number of potential Origin candidates who I hope to pass on my experience and knowledge to," said Gallen, who is also the skipper of NRL side Cronulla.

http://www.nrl.com/gallen-to-captain-nsw-city-against-country/tabid/10874/newsid/106139/default.aspx

Joshhh likes this.
  15. rhugh89

Shane Flanagan threatens to pull players from City v Country clash in Mudgee

AAP
    April 28, 2017 2:21pm

CRONULLA’S Shane Flanagan has become the latest NRL coach to threaten to pull players out of next week’s controversial NSW City Country fixture due to welfare issues.

On the same day Canberra counterpart Ricky Stuart vowed to protect his players from what he claimed was an exhibition match, Flanagan said he wouldn’t be risking his stars in Mudgee.

“The Des one, it’s obviously a four-day turnaround so there’s player welfare there. And it’s the first I’ve heard of Ricky pulling his players out,” Flanagan said on Friday.

“We play on the Friday night, so it’s a concern for us as well. We won’t be letting any players play that are carrying injuries into the game.

“We could pull players out there as well.”

His comments come despite skipper Paul Gallen coming out of retirement to captain the City side at the request of coach Brad Fittler.

Flanagan reluctantly agreed to Gallen’s decision this week, admitting the Sharks had a responsibility to promote the game in regional centres.

The defending premiers could have up to 12 players involved across the representative weekend, including Kangaroos Valentine Holmes and James Maloney. Flanagan said an injury to Gallen would greatly affect their season.

“But I also see a bright side of it too - promote rugby league in the country. As a senior club, we’ve got a bit of an obligation to develop rugby league, whether it’s in our area or out,” he said.

“So part of Paul’s reason for this is to put a bit of profile to the game and if he does that, and if he gets out of it injury-free, it’s a good outcome for everyone.”

Hasler defended the decision to make his players unavailable for the annual clash, claiming he had sought approval from the NRL, NSWRL and players union.

However he softened his stance on the issue on Friday, saying he was open to letting his inexperienced players be selected in teams to be announced on Monday.

“I spoke to (NSW coach Laurie Daley) and for Canterbury players, it’ll be a case-by-case scenario. If they want to pick Canterbury players, they can,” Hasler said.

“For some players, getting as far as City-Country might be as far as they get.

“So you don’t want to exclude those players’ dreams and you certainly don’t want to trample their dreams.”

But while Hasler was reluctant to release players for the City-Country game, he had no issue with allowing his stars to play in Origin II despite a two-day turnaround into a round 16 match.

The Bulldogs face the Warriors in Auckland just two days after the Origin game in Sydney.

“Different spectacle, different game, different players,” he said.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...e/news-story/a27481b3f43e4e1f561f70708937a5c7

16. rhugh89

TEAM ANNOUNCEMENT | KARI City Origin

Mon 1st May, 12:00PM

Renowned speedster Josh Addo-Carr and good Dragons signing Cameron McInnes are two players who will make their senior representative debuts, along with Newcastle fan favourite Nathan Ross.

While the team is subject to change, it makes for a strong side heading into the final Country v City clash at Mudgee’s Glen Willow Sports Complex on Sunday, 7 May.

The 2017 KARI City Origin squad is as follows:

1. Matt Moylan – Penrith Panthers
    2. Clint Gutherson – Parramatta Eels
    3. Nathan Ross - Newcastle Knights
    4. Tyrone Peachey - Penrith Panthers
    5. Josh Addo-Carr - Melbourne Storm
    6. Bryce Cartwright - Penrith Panthers
    7. Chad Townsend - Cronulla Sharks
    8. James Tamou - Penrith Panthers
    9. Cameron McInnes - St George Illawarra Dragons
    10. Paul Gallen (c) - Cronulla Sharks
    11. Curtis Sironen - Manly Sea Eagles
    12. David Gower - Parramatta Eels
    13. Hame Sele - St George Illawarra Dragons

14. Joseph Paulo - Cronulla Sharks
    15. Nathan Cleary - Penrith Panthers
    16. Pauli Pauli - Newcastle Knights
    17. Jake Marketo - St George Illawarra Dragons

http://www.nswrl.com.au/news/2017/05/01/team_announcement_ka.html

17. rhugh89

TEAM ANNOUNCEMENT | VB Country Origin

Mon 1st May, 09:30AM

A host of NRL talent has been selected to represent the VB Country Origin team to play the final Country v City clash ever on Sunday, 7 May.

The likes of Cody Walker, Damien Cook, Anthony Don and Connor Watson make their representative debuts, while Tariq Sims becomes the most-capped current Country player with six appearances. Mitchell Aubusson, a Ballina Seagulls junior, will captain the side in his second consecutive VB Country Origin selection, following some strong form for the Roosters.

Two notable selections have come through the NSWRL Pathways system in recent times; Brian Kelly was a part of the victorious NSW Under-20 team which defeated Queensland for the fifth-straight time in 2016, while 18th man Daniel Alvaro played for the Intrust Super Premiership NSW Residents as they emerged victorious in the same season.

Dragons trio Euan Aitken, Paul Vaughan and Jack de Belin have been named as they aim to press for Origin debuts.

With the KARI City Origin side to be announced after midday, the VB Country Origin side is as follows:

1. Michael Gordon – Tweed Coast / Sydney Roosters
    2. Anthony Don – Grafton Ghosts / Gold Coast Titans
    3. Euan Aitken – Merimbula Pambula Bulldogs / St George Illawarra Dragons
    4. Cheyse Blair – Bilambil Jets / Melbourne Storm
    5. Brian Kelly – Ballina Seagulls / Manly Warringah Sea Eagles
    6. Cody Walker – Casino Cougars / South Sydney Rabbitohs
    7. Tyrone Roberts – Ballina Seagulls / West Newcastle / Gold Coast Titans
    8. Dale Finucane – Bega Roosters / Melbourne Storm
    9. Damien Cook – Helensburgh Tigers / South Sydney Rabbitohs
    10. Paul Vaughan – Gungahlin Bulls / St George Illawarra Dragons
    11. Mitch Aubusson (c) – Ballina Seagulls / Sydney Roosters
    12. Kyle Turner – Coonabarabran Unicorns / South Sydney Rabbitohs