2017/2018 Big Bash

2 games on tonight in the BBL with the Sixers vs Hurricanes and Scorchers vs Renegades

Put a line through the Stars and Sixers already

Thunder and Hurricanes holding on by a thread

A couple of WBBL games on as well today

I will update all of the tables, Leading Run Scorers and Wicket Takers later tonight after these games are done

Darcy Short has just recorded the highest ever score in BBL

He hit 122 not out of 69 balls which included 8 fours and 8 sixes

Shocked cricket world rages over Big Bash disgrace

January 11, 2018 8:00am
TYSON OTTO
Source: news.com.au

ALEX Ross had no idea the controversy he was about to unleash on the Big Bash when he tried to scamper back for a quick second run during the Hurricanes’ controversial four-run win over the Brisbane Heat on Wednesday night.

The entire game has erupted over the controversial decision which saw Ross become the first batsman in the Big Bash to be dismissed for obstructing the fielding side.

Chasing 180 for an unlikely victory, Heat batsman Ross was hit by a return throw while scampering for a second run, the ball deflecting off his body into the stumps as he made his ground.

Initially appealing for a run-out, Hobart captain George Bailey then queried if Ross had purposely changed his line and obstructed the field, to which the third umpire agreed.

A bemused Ross was given out, with the Heat eventually falling four runs short of victory after Hobart’s D’Arcy Short struck a BBL-record unbeaten 122 earlier in the night.

Rules state a player can be given out for wilfully obstructing the fielding side by word or action.

However, a batsman is not out if that obstruction is accidental or to avoid injury.

The decision has completely divided the game.

Here’s how the cricket world reacted to one of the Big Bash’s most controversial moments.

COMMENTATORS LEFT STUNNED

AUSSIE cricket legends Adam Gilchrist and Mark Waugh Waugh were left stunned by the decision to send Ross packing after the Hurricane’s controversial appeal.

The pair were convinced that there was too much doubt about Ross’ intentions for the umpires to have judged he deliberately put himself in the line of fire.

Waugh told Channel 10 in commentary he had a sick feeling in his stomach that the umpires would judge Ross out.

“It’s interesting. He wasn’t looking at the ball, though,” Waugh said.

“I think he was trying to get out the way of the ball. Looks like he was trying to run away from it.

“I’ve got a bad feeling here. I had a very bad feeling about that.’

Gilchrist was adamant there was no evidence for the umpires to be certain that Ross had deliberately got in the way.

“Oh, my goodness. I’m stunned,” he said.

“I cannot believe that.

“To me, he hasn’t looked. He hasn’t turned around to where the line of the throw was. He knew the general vicinity that the throw was coming from, but can you tell me he’s purposefully got in the way of that ball? I don’t think so.”

Gilchrist said after the game he personally wouldn’t have carried on with the appeal as Bailey did.

“I understand George Bailey, but I wouldn’t have personally,” he told Channel 10.

“He said they saw the replay and said, ‘is that a change in direction?’

“So they’ve planted the seed at least. Maybe the third-umpire was already looking at that, which is fine. The officials know the rules better than anyone. But that certainly didn’t come into my mind.”

CRICKET LEGENDS, PUNDITS FUME OVER SHOCK DECISION

CRICKET greats reacted with anger towards the decision to dismiss Ross — but, critically, not every cricket commentator believes the wrong decision was made.

The beautiful game of cricket has a unique ability to be dragged into grey areas of controversy.

This case was no different.

Aussie Test batsman Dean Jones was one of the few willing to put his neck out there and declare the correct decision was made.

HEAT CAPTAIN MCCULLUM RAGES OVER DECISION

BRISBANE Heat captain Brendon McCullum gunned George Bailey — when the Hobart Hurricanes skipper was standing right next to him during the post match interviews on Channel 10.

Clearly seething over Bailey’s decision to appeal against Ross, McCullum admitted he was prepared to be fined by Big Bash officials to convey his frustration over the sensational decision.

The Channel 10 cameras also captured the moment McCullum confronted Bailey on the field after the game, passionately explaining his point of view to his rival.

McCullum told Channel 10 he wanted Hobart to wave away their appeal against Ross.

Bailey refused.

“Personally I thought it wasn’t the right decision,” he said.

“If I get fined for saying that fair play, but I think everyone that’s here and everyone that’s watched the game didn’t think it was the right decision.

“He wasn’t running in the way of the ball. He wasn’t impeding it. I was disappointed that the appeal was upheld, but I guess, Hobart can take the points.

“I think the rest of the game was brilliant. I actually thought they deserved to win, it’s just a shame that it was marred by that.”

McCullum took the high ground following the win, saying his counterpart Bailey may regret not calling Ross back to the crease.

He said Bailey missed an opportunity to uphold the spirit of cricket.

“From our point of view I felt frustrated with that decision,’’ McCullum said.

“Personally I don’t think it was the right decision. We are not righteous in our stance on the spirit of the game but every now and then you get a chance to stand up to the spirit of cricket and tonight George and the Hurricanes missed that opportunity.”

The pair, who have both captained their country, were engaged in a long discussion following the game and were tense but civil exchanging their views in a combined television interview that followed.

“We debated the philosophical merits of one another points but in the end my view of it and his view of it may have altered,’’ McCullum said.

“I don’t really care what the rules are. To me it is one of those grey areas like the Mankad. To me it falls into the spirit of the game and I was making that point to George.

“I don’t really care what the rules are, to me it is one of those grey areas like the Mankad,” McCullum said.

“To me it falls into the spirit of the game and I was making that point to George.

“Sometimes there are opportunities which are more important than the two points.”

Bailey confirmed after the game hid team did call for the umpires to check for a possible obstruction.

“I appealed for the run out and then we saw the replay and saw that Rossy had changed his angle, we asked has he changed his line?” Bailey said.

“Can you check for obstructing the field as well? And then we were waiting the umpires decision and in our positions waiting.”

— with AAP

https://www.foxsports.com.au/cricke...e/news-story/1577cf7b135e5d4c32f9f378c924d362

Unbelievable game tonight between the Scorchers and the Thunder !!

Usman Khawaja made a fantastic return to BBL by smacking 85 from 51 balls and helped the Thunder to a total of 4/175

In reply the Scorchers looked gone at 4/36 after 6 overs but a 137 run partnership between Hilton Cartwright and Cameron Bancroft got the Scorchers within a whisker of winning

In the end they needed 5 runs off the last ball to win or a boundary to take it to a super over but they could only manage a single so the Thunder ended up winning by 3 runs

Bancroft finished on 75 not out off 56 balls and Cartwright finished on 65 not out from 45 balls

The Hobart Hurricanes have become the fifth team to be fined for a slow over rate this season

http://www.cricket.com.au/news/geor...sbane-heat-over-rate-penalty-bbl07/2018-01-12

Perth Scorchers captain Adam Voges suspended for one match due to a second slow over-rate offence this season

http://www.cricket.com.au/news/adam...ey-thunder-over-rate-penalty-bbl07/2018-01-12

Moises Henriques will return for the Sixers after taking personal leave

http://www.cricket.com.au/news/sydn...thwaite-botha-watson-scg-vince-bbl/2018-01-12

The Heat have just been bowled out for 73 against the Sixers, That's the 3rd lowest total in BBL history :eek:

Only 4 players reached double figures and the highest scorer was Alex Ross with 15

Sean Abbott took 4/11 from his 4 overs which are the 4th best figures in BBL history

And what a terrible schmozzle it was too with absolutely no discipline and all going the 'big bash'.

For an old fellah like me this typifies what is wrong with cricket. It seems the absolute push for runs at any cost causes a complete loss of concentration and technique.

That's why it's called "Big Bash" give me test match any day or at least 50 overs has some kind of tactical/ability play with the mad slog.

BBL07: The run home for each team

cricket.com.au

With the race for the finals heating up, take a look at what each team needs to do to grab a top-four finish

1st: Adelaide Strikers (12 points)

Played 8 | Won 6 | Lost 2 | NRR 0.886

The run home

Jan 22: v Renegades (away)
Jan 25: v Scorchers (away)

While the Strikers are sitting pretty at the top of the table, they face two tricky away trips on the run home and will seemingly need to win at least one of them to secure a home final.

2nd: Perth Scorchers (12 points)

Played 8 | Won 6 | Lost 2 | NRR 0.103

The run home

Jan 20: v Hurricanes (home)
Jan 25: v Strikers (home)

Having won six games despite being hit hard by injury and international selection, the Scorchers have two home games to come and are well placed for a yet another home semi-final.

3rd: Hobart Hurricanes (10 points)

Played 8 | Won 5 | Lost 3 | NRR -0.269

The run home

Jan 20: v Scorchers (away)
Jan 27: v Stars (away)

With their five-match winning streak over, the Hurricanes face two away trips to finish the season as they push to reach the finals in Gary Kirsten's first year as coach.

Will their poor Net Run Rate be the difference between a top-four finish and missing out on the knockout games?

4th: Melbourne Renegades (8 points)

Played 7 | Won 4 | Lost 3 | NRR 0.345

The run home

Jan 22: v Strikers (home)
Jan 24: v Thunder (away)
Jan 27: v Heat (away)

The good news for the Renegades is they have an extra game in the run home over their rivals for a finals spot.

The bad news is two of them are away from home and their fate could be decided by a possible winner-takes all clash against the Heat at The Gabba on January 27.

5th: Brisbane Heat (8 points)

Played 9 | Won 4 | Lost 5 | NRR -0.331

The run home

Jan 27: v Renegades (home)

A dismal outing against the Sixers served as a critical blow for the Heat's finals hopes, who now must wait on other results ahead of their final must-win match of the season against the Renegades. With four teams still in contention for two remaining finals places, we're in for a thrilling finish to the BBL regular season.

6th: Sydney Thunder (6 points)

Played 8 | Won 3 | Lost 5 | NRR -0.2

The run home

Jan 20: v Stars (away)
Jan 24: v Renegades (home)

The Thunder need other results to go their way if they're any hope of making the top four, but they're not done with yet. They need to beat both the Stars and Renegades handsomely to have any chance to playing finals and they will be anxiously awaiting their results of other games as much as their own.

7th: Sydney Sixers (6 points)

Played 8 | Won 3 | Lost 6 | NRR 0.236

The run home

Jan 23: v Stars (home)

They might be out of the race for finals but there'll be plenty to play for when the Sixers line up for their final match of the season against the bottom-placed Stars, with the loser a chance of taking home the dread wooden spoon for BBL|07.

A three-game win streak also works in their favour as the men in magenta look to finish their season on a high.

8th: Melbourne Stars (2 points)

Played 7 | Won 1 | Lost 6 | NRR -0.917

The run home

Jan 20: v Thunder (home)
Jan 23: v Sixers (away)
Jan 27: v Hurricanes (home)

For the first time in their history, the Stars won't make the BBL finals this season.

But with three games still to come and a chance to put a serious dent in the finals hopes of both the Thunder and Hurricanes, the men in green still have something to play for.

http://www.cricket.com.au/news/bbl-...chers-heat-renegades-hurricanes-19/2018-01-19

Back