2016 State of Origin Series - Game 1 @ ANZ Stadium

Discussion in 'Rep Footy' started by rhugh89, May 18, 2016.

1. rhugh89

rhugh89 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

2. danknights

danknights Clint Newton

Dylan walker but?......... Wtf Laurie.

3. rhugh89

Morris to Replace Dugan in Origin I

Sun 29th May, 10:15AM

Josh Morris has been released by the Bulldogs ahead of their NRL match against the Raiders in Canberra this afternoon to replace the injured Josh Dugan (elbow) in Origin I on Wednesday.

He will join the team in Sydney this afternoon after Dugan was ruled out this morning.

Coach Laurie Daley will be available for comment upon arrival in Sydney today (Virgin flight arrives 12.05pm).

http://www.nswrl.com.au/news/2016/05/29/morris_to_replace_du.html

4. rhugh89

State of Origin: Cronk misses penultimate session, Cherry-Evans drops out

55 minutes ago
    Travis Meyn
    The Courier-Mail

[​IMG]
    COOPER Cronk will have just one training run to prove his fitness after sitting out Queensland’s penultimate session.

Cronk is battling an ankle injury ahead of Origin I at ANZ Stadium on Wednesday night and could not be spotted at Sunday’s training run on the Gold Coast.

Daly Cherry-Evans returned to Manly on Sunday morning, meaning coach Kevin Walters will promote prop Jacob Lillyman to the bench if Cronk is ruled out.

Michael Morgan ran alongside Cowboys teammate Johnathan Thurston in the halves.

“Coops will do everything he can to play,” Maroons assistant Trevor Gillmeister said.

“Jake Lillyman had his best game in the third game and he was unfortunate to miss out.

“I love Jakey. You know what he brings and he won’t let anyone down.”

If Cronk is ruled out, Walters will run with four forwards on the bench.

Lillyman would join Aidan Guerra, Josh Papalii and Josh McGuire in a bid to stifle the big Blues pack.

NSW centre Josh Dugan was ruled out with an elbow injury on Sunday, allowing Josh Morris to return to the team.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...t/news-story/83f8819e69009795d6dc1474925f9645

5. rhugh89

Team confirmed by Laurie Daley, First post updated as well

1. Matt Moylan
    2. Blake Ferguson
    3. Michael Jennings
    18. Josh Morris
    5. Josh Mansour
    6. James Maloney
    7. Adam Reynolds
    8. Aaron Woods
    9. Robbie Farah
    10. Paul Gallen (c)
    11. Boyd Cordner
    12. Josh Jackson
    13. Greg Bird

14. Dylan Walker
    15. James Tamou
    16. David Klemmer
    17. Andrew Fifita

http://www.nswrl.com.au/news/2016/05/27/daley_finalises_posi.html

6. AuntyD

AuntyD Steve Walters

Retired
    as always, i will have faith in those that know more than me

but can we fit Chief in there somewhere, he is looking fit

Attached Files:

• soo.jpg
      soo.jpg
      File size:
      41.3 KB
      Views:
    • soo2.jpg
      soo2.jpg
      File size:
      4.4 KB
      Views:
  7. Matty23

Matty23 Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Retail
    Why couldn't it have been Ferguson ruled out instead? :brickwall:

8. rhugh89

I can't believe he is going with Walker on the bench, How did Walker even come into calculations ??

Trent Merrin, Bryce Cartwright, Tyson Frizzell or Beau Scott would have been better

I hope I'm wrong but I see a QLD win in this game, Pretty disappointed with some of the selections in the NSW Team

9. rhugh89

State of Origin I: Schick Preview

Mon 30 May, 2016, 10:00am
    By Chris Kennedy
    , National Correspondent , NRL.com

The return of the most intense rivalry in Australian sport, NSW v Queensland, could this year be billed as the Mighty Maroons versus the Mighty Gamble.

Blues coach Laurie Daley saw enough in his team's unexpected capitulation in last year's decider to ring in the changes and while some of his picks have raised eyebrows there is no doubt how he will look to play it.

This is a team that will aim to monster its way through the middle with a massive forward pack then put the finishing touches on with a far more attack-minded backline.

Just eight Blues players from last year's embarrassing 52-6 loss have survived (only one of those to have made way - winger Brett Morris - is unavailable for selection).

There are four Origin debutants plus recalls for two players who were unavailable in that game – Robbie Farah and Greg Bird – and further recalls from the Origin wilderness for James Maloney and Blake Ferguson.

In-form incumbents such as Trent Merrin, Beau Scott and Josh Morris can consider themselves unlucky but after such a heavy loss there were always going to be changes.

The choice of Manly centre Dylan Walker – who has been moved back to his preferred centre spot at club level after a unhappy stint at five-eighth to start the year – has raised plenty of eyebrows but while Walker has been below his best in 2016 there is no doubting his quality and Daley has expressed surprise that people are surprised by his inclusion.

The fact he covers few positions other than centre will present a challenge if injuries strike.

A heavy focus on middle forwards means that two of the most potent edge back-rowers in the game – Boyd Cordner and Josh Jackson – will be able to fill their preferred roles but again there is little cover if things go awry.

The Maroons have had a few issues in their outside backs with fullback Billy Slater and centre Will Chamber sitting out with long term injuries to add to the retirement of centre Justin Hodges.

It means an Origin debut for Cowboys centre Justin O'Neill and bullocking Brisbane flanker Corey Oates.

In-form Brisbane custodian Darius Boyd has been asked to fill the gap at the back with resurgent Rabbitohs skipper Greg Inglis in his customary left centre role.

Just two of the 17 players picked by rookie coach Kevin Walters could be argued to be out of form at club level.

Of those, Manly prop Nate Myles suits up for his 30th Origin and has been among the best few players on the field in almost every win Queensland has earned over the past decade, meaning few would begrudge him a place.

Aidan Guerra has also had a less-than-stellar start to the year in a struggling Roosters team but back in the Origin environment could show what he's capable of.

Skipper Cameron Smith becomes the most-capped player in Origin history in his 37th game for the Maroons, moving past the legendary Darren Lockyer.

Watch Out Blues:

Well, where do we start. On paper, NSW are at least the equal of the Maroons in the forwards and outside backs but the experience and quality of the key playmakers – the all-Kangaroos combination of Boyd, Johnathan Thurston, Cooper Cronk and Cameron Smith is formidable.

The quartet has a combined 107 Origin caps compared to 16 for Matt Moylan, James Maloney, Adam Reynolds and Robbie Farah.

The least experienced Maroon – Cronk, 16 – has more Origins than the most experience Blues playmaker – Farah with 13.

Time and time again over the past decade and very notably in recent series, when the game is on the line, one of Thurston or Cronk has found a way to win a game that was in the balance.

It happened decisively in Game One last year and in the 2012 decider, where a Cronk field goal was the difference between the teams.

Watch Out Maroons:

Bash and barge will be the order of the day.

The monstrous NSW bench of Fifita, Klemmer and Tamou are all in great form and there will be no respite for Queensland's defensive line once Aaron Woods and Paul Gallen come off for a spell.

Those two starting props though are two of the biggest metre-eaters in the competition.

Woods (174.1 per game) is the best of any forward and second among all players only behind now-injured Warriors custodian Roger Tuivasa-Sheck.

Dogs skipper James Graham and NSW skipper Gallen are the only other forwards averaging over 170 metres per match.

In fact, of the top 10 ball-carriers in the NRL, five are in this current Origin side with Josh Mansour (158) and Josh Dugan (173.8) also prolific and Andrew Fifita (154.8) just outside the top 10, ahead of the best of the Maroons in Josh McGuire (13th with 151.9 per game).

Those charges through the middle will be where the Blues look to claim their advantage.

Key Match-Up: Adam Reynolds v Cooper Cronk

The man who many fans have been clamouring for for some time finally gets his chance in sky blue, opposing the man whose ice-cold field goals have been a key plank in the Maroons relentless recent success.

Statistically, Reynolds well and truly matches up in terms of NRL stats, though whether he can make it count on the big stage is yet to be seen.

Reynolds averages better in try assists per game (0.67 versus 0.45) and is miles in front in forced drop outs (one per game against 0.27).

Cronk has a slight 3-1 advantage in season line break assists and a far superior record in his running and support game with four line breaks and six tries against no line breaks and one try for the Rabbitohs half.

Interestingly, Reynolds is easily the best defensive half on show from either team with a lofty 89.2 per cent effective rate – well ahead of Cronk (83.7 per cent), Thurston (76.8 per cent) and Maloney (74.3).

History: Played 105; Queensland 56, NSW 47, Drawn 2

The head to head record between the two states was miraculously close for many a year, but the mighty Maroons have pulled away over the past few series.

The past six games are split three apiece though Queensland won 13 of 17 prior to that.

Their record at ANZ has improved slightly, but they still have just two wins from six starts in the past five series.

The fact the Maroons have only had to play six games there in the last 15 makes NSW's home advantage this year even more important.

Match officials:

Referee: Gerard Sutton
    Assistant Referee: Ben Cummins
    Standby Referee: Gavin Badger
    Touch Judges: Nick Beashel & Jeff Younis
    Standby: Michael Wise
    Review Officials: Luke Patten & Ashley Klein
    Senior RO: Bernard Sutton

Televised:

Channel 9 – Live coverage from 7:30pm.

The Way We See It:

It's almost impossible to split the two states heading into this one.

The new-look Blues with some added firepower present an interesting challenge to a Maroons outfit that just never seems to slow down despite the now-massive number of Origins many of their stars have played.

Whichever state you support there is plenty to like heading into this one but with the Maroons' wealth of experience we'll tip them to find a way, as they so often do, late in the game with the match on the line.

Maroons by one.

http://www.nrl.com/state-of-origin-i-schick-preview/tabid/10874/newsid/96381/default.aspx

10. rhugh89

NRL.com's Origin I predictions

Mon 30 May, 2016, 7:00am
    Staff writers

Who will win the opening game of the Holden State of Origin series, by how many, and which stars will take out the plaudits?

Tony Webeck, Chief Queensland Correspondent

Result: Queensland by 4
    First try-scorer: Greg Inglis
    Man of the Match: Darius Boyd

I like the brawn that the Blues are going to throw at the Maroons but I can't help feel that Queensland's footy brains will engineer a close win in the latter stages of the game.

If it's 14-all with 10 minutes to play I want to be on the guys who have been there and done it countless times before.

Chris Kennedy, National Correspondent

Result: New South Wales by 4
    First try-scorer: Blake Ferguson
    Man of the Match: Aaron Woods

While the settled team of Queensland superstars deserve favouritism I think the Blues can just get the jump on them at home in Game One.

There's a bit more strike in this NSW side than in recent seasons – including plenty in the backline – and they should be able to match it with Queensland in the kicking game after picking who I think are the two best available halves.

There is also serious strike and intimidation on offer in the forwards which is where we all know Origins are won and lost.

It should be close but Blues by four.

Martin Gabor, National Correspondent

Result: New South Wales by 1
    First try-scorer: Josh Mansour
    Man of the Match: Matt Moylan

The balance of power changed a decade ago and I'm tipping the same to happen in 2016.

The Blues won the series opener 17-16 thanks to a Brett Finch field goal, and it'll be another blonde-haired player to step up to lead NSW to victory this year.

Matt Moylan will star in his Origin debut with a try and drop goal as the Blues forwards excel in greasy conditions.

Jack Brady, National Correspondent

Result: Queensland by 10
    First try-scorer: Dane Gagai
    Man of the Match: Darius Boyd

Queensland have stuck with the old faithful that demoralised New South Wales in Origin III. That's good enough for me.

Darius Boyd killed it for Australia the other week as man of the match and has been on fire with the Broncos of late.

Dominic Brock, Production Editor

Result: Queensland by 6
    First try-scorer: Corey Oates
    Man of the Match: Johnathan Thurston

The Blues have home ground advantage and a couple of quality attacking halves, but despite some inexperience in the outside backs the Maroons still have the better team overall as well as proven combinations where it matters most.

Assuming Cooper Cronk is fit, the irresistible Smith-Cronk-Thurston playmaking trio should control the contest unless the NSW forwards can blow them off the park, and in Michael Morgan Queensland have a utility super sub who is much more familiar with that role than the Blues' Dylan Walker.

With so much experience together the Maroons are greater than the sum of their parts, and those parts are still pretty damn good.

Adrian McMurray, Producer

Result: New South Wales by 2
    Man of the Match: Adam Reynolds

There are plenty of unknowns heading into Game One.

How will the Maroons perform for the first time under new coach Kevin Walters?

How will a new-look Blues side gel?

I like the look of the NSW halves and provided they get adequate protection in defence, I think they'll provide something different (especially with their kicking game) to worry Queensland.

Reynolds to win the game with a sideline conversion.

Andrew Bryan, Deputy Editor

Result: Queensland by 10
    First try-scorer: Darius Boyd
    Man of the Match: Corey Parker

Queensland are too experienced and too skilful and should win the opening game if they play anywhere near their potential.

They can blow NSW off the park or they can grind their way to victory; they just know how to win and don't mind how they do it.

They may be getting older, but there is still too much class in the Maroons side and Thurston and Smith control a game better than anyone.

Maria Tsialis, Big League editor

Result: Queensland by 4
    Man of the Match: Johnathan Thurston

Will have to watch the NSW team play before I can back them.

Queensland are tried and true and won't be overawed by the crowd.

Eden Richards, Queensland Correspondent

Result: Queensland by 8
    First try-scorer: Darius Boyd
    Man of the Match: Cameron Smith

Queensland have picked a very similar team to the one that smashed New South Wales in Game 3 last year and I can't see the Blues getting the better of them.

ANZ Stadium will be a tough test for the Maroons, but I expect the class of Cameron Smith in the middle to get them over the line. Look for Darius Boyd to finish off a sweeping backline move to cross the line first.

Steven Ross, North Queensland Correspondent

Result: New South Wales by 6
    First try-scorer: Michael Jennings
    Man of the Match: Paul Gallen

The G-Train will access energy reserves he didn't even know he had in his final State of Origin series, and he should lead the Blues to a Game One win at home.

Origin is the type of game where the interchange reduction will be felt most, but I'm still predicting a low-scoring game dominated by forwards.

The formidable Blues pack offers a lot more size and ruthless aggression than Queensland's pack, and that will be the difference.

http://www.nrl.com/nrlcoms-origin-i-predictions/tabid/10874/newsid/96442/default.aspx

11. QldKnight

QldKnight Rodney Howe

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I think NSW have this one in the bag. Gagai is a MAJOR defensive weakness, NSW would do well do aim most of their attack at him. It will be a tryfest down that wing if they do.

Also not convinced about Cronk's fitness, but at least it looks like DCE won't be playing now. I'd much rather have Morgan in the halves and four forwards on the bench than DCE anywhere near the team. He's like Qld's Pearce.

12. rhugh89

13. ryan.berger.56

ryan.berger.56 Todd Bates

Doesn't say who he is replacing? I thought there was a limit of number allowed into camp?

14. rhugh89

15. ryan.berger.56

ryan.berger.56 Todd Bates

The real suprise would be if any nsw coaches bought into it

16. danknights

danknights Clint Newton

Ol gags you ripper.

17. Matty23

Matty23 Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Retail
    Besides from the low scoring affair that it was last night, it was good to see us keep them to 6. Very disappointed at few calls made from the refs like when O'Neill knocked on and they somehow got the ball back and also the "high" shot at the start of the game, which was far from an illegal tackle, that gifted QLD the opening 2 points. Still frustrating that our attack was so predictable and they had no idea what to do when they were in good territory. A few good repeat sets though but only the one that we capitalised on with the Cordner try. Once again, Dylan Walker was one of the worst selections of recent times, literally what was the point in picking him only to play what 9-10 minutes? He made 0 impact and made such a rookie error in a crucial moment. Morris was a bit shaky too. In all honesty I wouldn't name Ferguson, Walker and even Bird in game two if it were up to me.

18. mozza

mozza Game on broheim

Farah needs to go he stifles the attack to the point that we're not even remotely dangerous, I'd bring in Peats for him. If Tedesco plays a few strong games on return I'd pick him ahead of Moylan. Would also bring in Roberts for Morris.
    We need to stop being so conservative and pick creative players who are capable of putting some points on, so I'd put Graham in for Jackson (even though Jackson was pretty good).
    Knowing Daley the only change will be Pearce for Reynolds.

19. cowboyman

cowboyman Adam Woolnough

Hospitality
    Cartwright in for Jackson, Bird in for Morris and Dugan in for Ferguson would be the only changes I'd make. No use changing the spine from game to game so better pick and stuck with these 4 for this series.

20. danknights

danknights Clint Newton

Farah is garbage. Need a creative hooker. Gee I'd even put Ennis in there.