2015 VB NSW Cup / 2015 State Championship

Looking at all those reports (including mine) and barely a mention for Chad Redman.
It should be said that he tackled his heart out and kept us on the front foot for 75 minutes till the coach gave him first go at the showers by moving Elias to hooker for 5 minutes to finish off the game.
God knows how many tackles he did and touches he had, including a dummy half scoot to score the try that put the result beyond doubt.
He doesn't do much flash, but he works his bum off and makes few mistakes.

I am still waiting to see Jah Pakau play i watched him in his first year with the NYC he was an a tackling machine with big hits put many of the big boys on the ground. Last year he played well till he got injure he played a few games at the end of the season but just wanst up to his normal game where he made an impact. But i watched him with the trial matches this year he is back to himself a strong runner with huge hits he is a big boy i find it a waste not having him play on the team yet. James Taylor came to Newcastl NYC last year i find him an alright player a safe player but i don't see him make that huge impact you want on the field i find him to be a bit over rated of a player.

I think Levi will end up playing first grade i love watching him play he has a lot of skill and can read the game i caught some of his games last year he has just improved over the off season. As for Togiatasi he played against the Warriors and i watched him the trial matches i think he needs to get in there more with tackling at the moment i don't think he is up there with the players we have. I am not sure if Pakau is still with the team he was there for the trial matches and played great the 2 games i watched i found him to be one of our best forwards on the field when we played against Wauchope but havn't heard nothing since maybe he has gone to another club.

NSW Cup Round 3 preview

Fri 20th March, 02:32PM

WYONG ROOS v NEWCASTLE KNIGHTS

Round 3, 2015 NSW Cup
Date: Saturday March 21
Kick off: 3.00pm local time
Venue: Morrie Brean Oval

Last time they met:

The Knights ran out 22-12 winners over the Roos in Round 20 of last year in their late push for second place.

Teams:

NEWCASLTE KNIGHTS

1. Nathan Ross, 2. Jake Mamo, 3. Chanel Mata’utia, 4. Josh Allison, 5. Honeti Tuha, 6. Carlos Tuimavave, 7. Danny Kerr, 8. Sam Mataora, 9. Chad Redman, 10. Paterika Vaivai, 11. Clint Newton (c), 12. Brett Jarrett, 13. Joseph Tapine. Interchange: 15. James Taylor, 16. James Elias, 17. Michael Steele, 20. Jake Finn, 21. James De Saxe.

WYONG ROOS

21. Nene Macdonald, 2. Chris Centrone, 3. Brendan Elliot, 4. Yileen Gordon, 5. Matt Ikuvalu, 6. Brock Molan, 7. Tyler Cornish, 8. Magnus Stromquist, 9. Mitch Williams (c), 10. Eloni Vunakece, 11. Willie Manu, 12. Leivaha Pulu, 13. Lagi Setu, 1. Alex Langbridge, 14. Jack Seijka, 15. Abraham Papalii, 20. Samisoni Langi.

Match Analysis:

The Newcastle Knights' explosive backline played a central part in the side’s win over the Mounties last round.

So it’s understandable that it’s already been identified by the Rip Taylor coached Wyong Roos as an area to shut down
when Newcastle face them on Saturday.

“They are confident coming off last round’s win,” Knights NSW Cup coach Matt Lantry said.

“For us now it’s really just about consistent performances, that’s no secret when you’re playing reserve grade.

“I like the way our halves worked last week.

“Within our halves you talk a little bit about our spine with Nathan Ross at fullback and Chad Redman at hooker, so I’d like to see that combination with that four in key positions continue to enhance over the next few weeks.

“They played really well together last week and will need the same sort of performance this week."

Lantry says the Knights are feeling strong and well prepared for the clash after quality training sessions during the week.

“All our fulltime players were back on Wednesday so we got a full session with the full team on Wednesday and will do the same this afternoon,” he said.

While the Knights have gained some momentum, the Wyong Roos will be no easy task, especially at home.

“It’s a class roster, they are obviously no amalgamated with the Roosters,” he said.

“That pushes some quality back there so guys like Willie Manu, Langi Setu and Nene Macdonald all have plenty of NRL experience. Yileen Gordon is another one that is pretty strong out there on the left edge.

“Typical Rip Taylor coached teams are always going to be physical and if we can weather that storm and ensure we just get into the arm wrestle wit Wyong.

It should be a decent game of footy."

While the Knights are committed to developing cohesion among the squad, as with any reserve grade player, their major drives comes from the desire to move into the NRL side.

“Their ambition is to push forward and play NRL and is the end get the opportunity to knock on the door when you play consistently,” he said.

Where it will be won:

In what is to be the third game of the season the Knights’ will need to continue to polish the basics of their game.

Especially up against an opposition that boasts a number of experienced players with NRL time under their belt.

“I think nothing really changes for us over the next few weeks,” Lantry said.

“I think every team says the same thing that it’s about set completions, limited errors, be good with your discipline and you give yourself every chance.

“We need to ensure we get throughout sets.

“At this time of year you don’t need to be the flashiest team, you just have to have the team that’s tough in relation to the mental attitude in relation to what needs to get done in attack and defence.”

The final word:

"Our attitude is the big thing that can get us over the line here,” Lantry said.

http://www.newcastleknights.com.au/news/2015/03/20/nrl_preview_round_3.html

VB NSW Cup Previews - Rd 3

Previews by John Chammas

Fri 20th March, 11:30AM

Wyong v Newcastle: M1 DERBY SET TO LIGHT UP CENTRAL COAST

Morry Breen Oval, Saturday 21 March, 3.00pm

Wyong coach Rip Taylor has urged his team not to allow Newcastle's explosive backline any time to weave their magic.

The Roos are coming off a last-start loss to Mounties, desperate to return to the winners’ circle in their local derby against Newcastle on Saturday afternoon.

Taylor has earmarked two Knights NRL players as the main danger men for the opposition, placing plenty of emphasis on his side's kick-chase.

"Watching their game last week against the Jets they were very good," Taylor said.

"We’ve got to watch out for their backs, in particular Jake Mamo and Chanel Mata’utia.

"It’s important to get to our kick chase and limit the back-three’s space, so our kicking game will need to be good."

Wyong won their opening game of the season 34-8 against Manly, in which former NRL player Yileen Gordon bagged a double.

But they were unable to pip Mounties last week, going down by three points.

"The Mounties boys were simply a lot tougher than we were," Taylor said.

"We failed to muscle-up and we paid the price on the scoreboard.

"They’ve got a lot of experience up front and I think they just had a little bit more punch than we did."

Wyong will field five players with NRL experience at their disposal this weekend, including Nene McDonald, Lagi Setu, Willie Manu, Samisoni Langi and Gordon.

Taylor said the experience those players provide is invaluable to the side.

"It’s a massive advantage," he said.

"We missed some guys last week and you can definitely notice a difference.

"Last week the Mounties had a heap of NRL players and we weren’t good enough to match them."

http://www.nswrl.com.au/news/2015/03/20/vb_nsw_cup_previews_.html

CAluC2-VAAAiQSo.jpg:large

CAlxXzkUUAAwMej.jpg:large

Who the heck is Brett Jarrett? And why is Chanel being used in the centres?
Jarrett was a Souths NYC player and played for Melbourne in Ball and Matts, I think he played a few pre season trials for us this year if I'm not mistaken

I wanna know where Fitzgibbon, Togiatasi and Pakau are and when Feeney and Filipo are back. And Randell being 18th man to our NRL side and missing out on both games the last few weeks is getting a bit ridiculous.

1. Nathan Ross
2. Jake Mamo
3. Marvyn Filipo
4. Pat Mata'utia
5. Chanel Mata'utia
6. Carlos Tuimavave
7. Tyler Randell
8. Sam Mataora
9. Chad Redman
10. Pat Vaivai
11. Lachlan Fitzgibbon
12. Joseph Tapine
13. Clint Newton

14. Jaelen Feeney
15. James Taylor
16. Tui Togiatasi
17. Jake Finn/Jah Pakau

Right now they're using Chanel at centre and the microscopic Tuha on the wing. Danny Kerr sucks let's be honest. Tapine who is nothing but an edge backrower is being played in the middle. And we have a small stock standard bench with no versatility.

Average...

We have one of the best teams on paper but play poopy. Hopefully we'll go on a miracle run like last year.

It was a very even game.
Wyong are the real deal this year, and both sides played well.
Vaivai's try was a barge over from about 12 out and he took 3 defenders with him.
I don't think they scored against us when our starting middle players of Vaivai, Mataora and Tapine were out there, but our replacement weren't terrible - just not as good.
Jake Finn has a lot of leg drive and nearly barged over a few times.
Carlos was very quiet again, and the one time he had to struggle in a tackle he stayed down and called out the trainer was checked out his ankle - so I think he is far from fit. He isn't running with the ball at all.
The worst thing about the game was that Wyong had terrible ball security, and about 8 times they lost the ball in the tackle and the ref called it a strip every time - which was probably the difference between the teams - they got a lot of cheap penalties.
To be fair to the ref, the two or 3 times we spilled the ball in the tackle he gave us a penalty too.
James Elias went off on a stretcher with what looked like a leg injury.
Pat Mataútia struggled for fitness in his first game.
Mitch Williams made a lot of good runs and set up most of their good plays - he is a quality player - pity he's so small.

I thought it was a very high quality game for NSW cup. Certainly the best I've seen Wyong play - and we were pretty good too.

Back