2014 State of Origin - General Discussion

Origin bolters: We look at 10 players on the cusp of State of Origin selection in 2014

• NATHAN RYAN
  • FOX SPORTS
  • FEBRUARY 27, 2014 11:16AM

313732-e4d6692a-9ea5-11e3-b163-d60ea6e39be3.jpg

Jake Friend, Anthony Milford, Wade Graham and Brenton Lawrence are in contention for Origin jerseys. Source: FoxSports

THEY are on the cusp of being selected to represent their respective states in what is known as the toughest game of all - State of Origin.

Here are our top 10, Jamie Buhrer-like State of Origin bolters for 2014.
Who should play Origin in 2014?

BRENTON LAWRENCE

Last season, Lawrence was coming of age.

He cemented himself as a dominant forward under Geoff Toovey and Brad Arthur’s tutelage, which saw him picked in Queensland’s emerging Origin squad this year for the first time.

Despite his age, the 29-year-old looms as a serious contender for Queensland’s front row should an injury hit their engine room.

RYAN JAMES

Last year it was Aaron Woods, and this year Ryan James is the Blues bolter.

The Gold Coast forward has endured injury-interrupted seasons for the majority of his short career but according to his coach John Cartwright, 2014 looms as James’s chance to shine.

The 22-year-old’s aggressive playing style is made for the Origin arena. Watch this space.

TARIQ SIMS

It’s funny to think that only two years ago Tariq Sims was touted as the Blues’ next big thing.

Then injury struck and he hasn’t been on the radar since.

The 24-year-old Cowboys backrower has spent the pre-season returning to his impressive best and poised for a huge 2014, putting two broken legs behind him.

JAKE FRIEND

The heir to Cameron Smith’s No. 9 jersey - Friend was outstanding for the Roosters last season and wouldn’t be out of place in maroon.

Smith turns 31 during this year’s Origin series and, with Mal Meninga already labelling the robust 24-year-old as his replacement, Friend could feature in this year’s series.

The premiership-winning hooker is an aggressive, in-your-face player who is made for Origin.

Following another big year, the Maroons may be forced into bringing him into the side before Smith retires.

WADE GRAHAM

Aggressive, gritty, rangy and versatile - Wade Graham has long been identified as a future Blues star.

The future Cronulla captain began his career playing in the halves and, having since transitioned into the backrow, Graham is no stranger to playing lock.

A tough customer, the 23-year-old is cut from the same mould as Luke Lewis and will continue pushing his case for an Origin berth this year.

ANTHONY MILFORD

He may only be 19 but Milford has proved in just one season in the NRL that he is a bona fide star.

Capable of playing fullback and five-eighth, Milford boasts a crisp passing game and deadly speed. A freakish talent, you can’t help but pay attention when Milford is anywhere near the ball.

The Queensland product is leaving Canberra at the end of the year to return to his roots in Brisbane but he could be wearing a maroon jumper a year earlier if his form is anything to go by.

JOSH MCCRONE

Moving to hooker for Canberra this season, McCrone is a classic utility.

Having spent the majority of his career playing in the halves, McCrone boasts not only a strong kicking and passing game but is an aggressive ball-runner and tidy defender.

While Kurt Gidley is expected to be favoured for the Blues’ utility spot, McCrone is certainly in contention with the likes of Josh Reynolds and John Sutton should injury strike.

DYLAN NAPA

Queensland have a pool of talent at their disposal. A fiery red head, the 21-year-old Roosters forward enjoyed a breakout season in 2013.

Napa may have only played seven games in the NRL but has wasted little time turning heads. Who could forget the Cook Islands international’s bone-rattling tackle on Cronulla skipper Paul Gallen in round 24?

JOSH JACKSON

A shoo-in for a place in the Country Origin side next season, having played last year, Jackson is turning heads.

In a team of big names, the Bulldogs backrower is a worker who may be overshadowed by the superstars but his teammates are well aware of his importance.

Entering his third season of the NRL, the 23-year-old is a rock-solid defender and has a habit of hitting holes at the right time.

AIDEN GUERRA

Having won a premiership and represented Italy in the rugby league World Cup, the 26-year-old is making strides towards a Queensland Origin jersey.

Part of Queensland’s emerging Origin squad since 2012, the hard runner boasts a left-hand fend and right-foot step that saw him score six tries last year.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...election-in-2014/story-fni3fqyo-1226839313815

Daley said at the start of his reign last year that Mitchell Pearce would be his first-choice halfback - and the coach believes the star Rooster has done nothing to change that opinion.
Seriously? Makes me want to hang myself!

Manly halfback Daly Cherry-Evans won’t rock Queensland’s State of Origin boat

• DEAN RITCHIE
  • THE DAILY TELEGRAPH
  • FEBRUARY 28, 2014 12:00AM

812977-fdf37f66-9f80-11e3-b2ad-08c02f4f904c.jpg

Queensland Origin utility Daly Cherry Evans. Pics Adam Head Source: News Limited

MANLY star Daly Cherry-Evans is prepared to wait another three years to become Queensland halfback - because he doesn’t want to “rock the boat.’’

Cherry-Evans is among the game’s elite now with some even suggesting he has zipped past Dally M Medal winner Cooper Cronk as the Maroons’ premier halfback.

But Cherry-Evans isn’t targeting Cronk - he only wants to continue riding Queensland’s wave of success.

“To be honest, at the moment, there is no need to rock the boat,’’ Cherry-Evans said.

“What Queensland has got at the moment is gold.

“I want to continue to be part of that and if that means coming off the bench for the next three years then I am more than happy to do so.

“I am not going to rock the boat - I want to continue to play good football and try and stay in those sides.

“I finally got a taste of representative football, which has been a goal of mine since I was playing football as a kid. To get a taste only makes a person hungrier.

“But I am not at the stage of my career where I can sit back and say: ‘Yeah, things are going really well’.

“I need to continue to work hard and I think the success will follow if I continue to apply myself at training with the help of my teammates as always.’’

Cherry-Evans played for Queensland and Australia last season - his status in rugby league soaring.

Asked did he now feel he now belonged in rep football, Cherry-Evans said: “Not quite yet to be honest.

“I have only played a handful of Origin and Australian games so I still feel I need to play more games to feel established.’’

The Daily Telegraph colleague Phil ‘Buzz’ Rothfield this week rated Cherry-Evans the NRL’s best halfback.

“It’s not for me to say I am the best halfback in the game or not,’’ Cherry-Evans said.

“I just need to continue to play for Manly and do the best job I can.

“If I continue to do that then hopefully people will keep writing good press and stay away from the bad press.’’

Either way, there is no doubt Cherry-Evans is among the finest playmakers in the game.

He is an elite player.

“(But) I am only three years into first grade,’’ he said. “For me to be put that sort of category is a bit unrealistic.

“Who knows what the future holds? But I will continue to work hard so hopefully I can be regarded (as an elite player).’’

Manly coach Geoff Toovey knows full well how important Cherry-Evans is to his side.

“I think Daly is next in line for that mantle (Australian halfback),’’ Toovey said.

“It he continues to play as he has been - and improving each year - he is definitely in there with being a chance of being the best halfback.’’

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...e-of-origin-boat/story-fni3fr51-1226839813479

Kent on Saturday: Two ticks not enough to make Sonny Bill Williams a New South Wales Blue

• PAUL KENT
  • THE DAILY TELEGRAPH
  • MARCH 01, 2014 12:00AM

315848-262bff88-a05a-11e3-b163-d60ea6e39be3.jpg

NSW junior representatives Cameron Phelps, Sonny Bill Williams and Dan Conn. Source: News Limited

IT is a widely held truth that anyone who ever ate a banana, even once in their life, automatically qualifies for Queensland State of Origin representation.

Until recently.Origin’s new eligibility laws were put to the test while we slept over the summer and, the good news is, they are water tight.

The prize at stake was Sonny Bill Williams.

NSW coach Laurie Daley confirmed this week that inquiries were made to see if SBW, the 10-round champ of the Pacific, could switch allegiances from New Zealand to Australia and, hence, a NSW Blues jersey. It made sense.

With Williams having confirmed his return to rugby union next season it left only the Anzac Test on the rep calendar before his exit, which was not as attractive as it would normally have been after his fallout with coach Steve Kearney at last year’s World Cup.B

ut if Williams switched allegiances he would have had the chance to tick the one box he can’t fill, Origin, which would also have the hidden benefit of $90,000 in bonus match payments.

“We went through it all and went through the rules the way it was, and he wasn’t a NSW player,” Daley said.

“You’ve got five criteria and he ticks off on two of them.”

Before Queensland start complaining too much, Daley said SBW was looked at only after the Maroons tried to claim the NSW-raised Korbin Sims after he played junior reps for the Maroons during a brief stint north.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...south-wales-blue/story-fni3fbgz-1226841318498

Qld team for 2014:

1. Inglis
2. Boyd
3. Gagai
4. Hodges
5. Chambers
6. Thurston
7. Cronk

8. Scott
9. Smith
10. Myles
11. Gillett
12. Thaiday
13. Parker

14. Cherry-Evans
15. Te'o
16. Papalii
17. Kennedy

18. J. Friend

Qld team for 2014:

1. Inglis
2. Boyd
3. Gagai
4. Hodges
5. Chambers
6. Thurston
7. Cronk

8. Scott
9. Smith
10. Myles
11. Gillett
12. Thaiday
13. Parker

14. Cherry-Evans
15. Te'o
16. Papalii
17. Kennedy

18. J. Friend

That list is pretty accurate. I really don't see how NSW will be able to stop QLD when their side looks like that. I'm expecting a whitewash this year......

Keep changing my team but would love too see something like

1 Dugan
2 B.Morris
3 Jennings
4 J.Morris
5 Hayne
6 Maloney
7 A.Reynolds
8 Fifita
9 Farah
10 Tamou
11 Lewis
12 Bird
13 Gallen
14 Watmough
15 Woods
16 Merrin
17 Cordner

I really doubt QLD would drop Slater. Much more likely to drop Cronk for DCE. As for the Morris boys, their decent players, but I'd rather guys like Hoppa, BJ, Uate, etc ahead of them.

Hoppa is an unknown at this point given he's been out for what 4 years. So unless he comes in firing he will be unlikely. Uate has a defensive issue which was still noticeable last year but won't complain if picked but I think B.Morris is the safer pick. j.morris has been great I though and doesn't deserve to be dropped unless there is clearly a better option. Maybe even have something like

1 Dugan
2 B.morris
3 Hayne
4 Jennings
5 Uate/Hoppa

If the choice is between Hopoate who will take atleast half a year to find his feet & Uate who has had troubles at this level, then I would pick McManus. I believe he was the first NSW right winger to have a good game in years, but alot of NSW fans will probably still crucify him for one drop he made, even though he caught a few more that looked almost impossible.

As much as I like Maloney, I really don't get why Carney was dropped at all. He was the one guy we should've stuck with, and he could've been a mainstay in the halves for a number of years.

- - - Updated - - -

As for Reynolds, I don't really think he is the answer, hasn't got much besides his kicking game in my opinion. I really wish Mullen would run more, and we know how good his running game is when he does. He'd be our most complete half if he ran more.

Last edited:
Because there is no way in the world DCE would be dropped off the bench for him now. Not that hard to see really.

You said he wouldn't make any rep side. I still think he'll be there for the Test match if he's fit since it's a one off but if not Australia, he'll certainly be there for the Blues, he's as much of a certainty to get selected as Gallen. Last year NSW were lost when Gidley had to withdraw from the team and their replacement for him was tragic. The utility role will stay his as long as he's fit.

You said he wouldn't make any rep side. I still think he'll be there for the Test match if he's fit but if not Australia, he'll certainly be there for the Blues, he's as much of a certainty to get selected as Gallen.

I did and obviously for you I was referring to the test side. No chance in the world.

Next post to I wrote to LOTS was about hoping Daley isn't as stupid as he seems to be. That refers to NSW does it not?

I have always maintained NSW not needing a utility with the likes of Bird and Lewis in the side so hopefully Daley thinks that as well.

I did and obviously for you I was referring to the test side. No chance in the world.

Next post to I wrote to LOTS was about hoping Daley isn't as stupid as he seems to be. That refers to NSW does it not?

I have always maintained NSW not needing a utility with the likes of Bird and Lewis in the side so hopefully Daley thinks that as well.

You replied to Lord after I replied to you. Not that it matters.

And NSW have always gone for a utility, they've always selected Gidley no matter how many games he's played beforehand as long as he's fit, he was there last year in both rep sides, I don't know why you think it'll magically change this year but I hope you really do take Lord up on that deal lol

You replied to Lord after I replied to you. Not that it matters.

And NSW have always gone for a utility, they've always selected Gidley no matter how many games he's played beforehand as long as he's fit, he was there last year in both rep sides, I don't know why you think it'll magically change this year but I hope you really do take Lord up on that deal lol

Well there is a reason why we have lost a record amount of consecutive series. Hence why a change of tactics wouldn't hurt...

They tried it without Gidley when he was injured and they ended up with a 3 man bench for the series. There needs to be changes but your grand tactic to drop a utility in order for the Blues to finally win State of Origin again would be below quite a few others I'd imagine.

Anyway, back to Mullen. He's been doing plenty of running at training and is looking for a 8 week return according to Mitchell Hughes the NBN reporter. So you'd think he'll wait for the rep round bye to have another week off so he should be back round 9 for a home game v Panthers.

If Gidley is fit and playing well, any coach would be mad to not have him on the bench.
Coaches have to plan for the worst that could happen, and basically if your hooker, halfback, 5/8 or fullback goes down in the first minute of a SOO game you will almost certainly lose unless you have a guy on the bench who can play that position at a firstgrade level, and Gidley may be the only guy in the history of the game who can play any of those positions well for 80 minutes, and quite possibly be MOTM.
If he is injury free and playing at near his potential by SOO time, he will be first picked as bench utility.

Because they tried a 'utility' who could only cover halves and hooker. Positions where we have 80 minute players and didn't need any rests.

Better off going in with 4 forwards on the bench. Not much of a 'grand tactic' there.

Back