2014 State of Origin - General Discussion

Discussion in 'Rep Footy' started by rhugh89, Dec 3, 2013.

1. rhugh89

rhugh89 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Mateo yearns for rep jumpers

By Matt Encarnacion
    NRL.com
    2:59pm Wed 27th November, 2013

[​IMG]
    Feleti Mateo is still being driven by his desire to earn a NSW Blues jersey.

Warriors forward Feleti Mateo admits watching the World Cup with great envy, but says he doesn't regret his decision to commit his allegiance to NSW.

In fact, the former Parramatta Eel hasn't given up hope of fulfilling his Origin dream next season, revealing that the blue jumper has been the driving force getting him through an arduous pre-season that is already into its fifth week.

The Warriors were the first NRL team to return to training, coming back just 22 days after the Roosters won the grand final.

"Personally, I wasn't surprised. I knew we needed to get in early. It didn't really feel like a break. We've been back for a fair bit now but the boys seem to be doing well," Mateo told NRL.com.

The off-season would have been a far more different proposition, however, had Mateo appeared for his native Tonga at the World Cup.

Five years after representing the Mate Ma'a in the 2008 tournament, Mateo was again approached to pull on the red jumper, but a combination of the birth of his first child and eligibility issues meant Mateo was force to watch the World Cup on TV.

"I've definitely been jealous, seeing all the boys' photos and videos," Mateo said. "And even just watching the games, man, the quality was so good. I don't think there was a team that was a real easy-beat.

"Tonga came and asked me if I could play but I had to say no. I don't think I could have anyway with the eligibility. I've still got a little bit to wait until if I wanted to change again."

The birth of his first daughter Tahlia, however, helped ease some of the pain.

"Obviously I found out nine months before Tahlia was born that we were going to have a baby, but just the timing of it – I didn't want to leave my wife by herself," Mateo said.

"It's been good because I've had a good two months helping my wife [Michelle] at home. We don't really have any family over here, so we've just had to rely on each other. But it's been the best thing ever. It's been unreal."

Heading into his fourth season in Auckland, Mateo had surgery last week on a troublesome knee but should be back at full strength after Christmas.

From there he's set the goal of finally breaking into the representative arena and advancing beyond his two City Origin jerseys.

"I've just had a clean-up on my knee, which hadn't allowed me to run this pre-season so I've been doing a lot of weights training," Mateo said.

"Hopefully when I come back after Christmas I'll be 100 per cent. It just depends on how I recover. I know I've talked about it heaps, but I still want to play for NSW. I haven't given up hope on that.

"If I can have a good pre-season and start with some good form into the season, you never know. But overall, I just want to concentrate on playing good footy for the Warriors."

http://www.nrl.com/mateo-yearns-for-rep-jumpers/tabid/10874/newsid/75546/default.aspx

Queensland eye new interstate scalp

By Tony Webeck, Chief Queensland Correspondent
    NRL.com
    9:40am Fri 29th November, 2013

Queensland Rugby League officials have backed the Intrust Super Cup champions to extend their rugby league dominance from the State of Origin arena to the new National Championship following the announcement of an interstate showdown on NRL Grand Final day from 2014.

The National Championship will pit the premiers of Queensland's Intrust Super Cup against the winners of the VB NSW Cup, possibly as the main curtain-raiser to the NRL Grand Final.

The NSW Cup Grand Final between Cronulla and Windsor was the first of the three games played on Grand Final day this year but the move to include Queensland's premier team on the game's greatest stage will give the occasion greater relevance to Queensland rugby league fans according to QRL chairman Peter Betros.

"Everyone turns on the TV on Grand Final day but no-one's got any interest in those earlier games in Queensland because it's always been New South Wales clubs," Betros told NRL.com.

"But if you put a game on at 1.30 or 2 o'clock where you have got a Queensland club playing a NSW club, I think the audience in Queensland will be enormous for that.

"We're really excited for that chance to pit a Queensland team against a NSW team and the TV exposure that will bring and the amount of people that will watch that."

Of course, with the Auckland Vulcans in the NSW Cup and Papua New Guinea being admitted into the Intrust Super Cup for the first time, the National Championship could be fought out between two international teams although recent history points to another Queensland-NSW showdown.

Mackay Cutters CEO Glenn Ottaway conceded that he regularly has his players asking when they will get their shot at the NSW Cup champions and just hopes that the Intrust Super Cup defending premiers get exactly that chance next October.

"The players all know about it and they ask the question all the time – when they're going to get a crack at the NSW Cup sides – so it just adds another dimension to our competition," Ottaway said.

"I just hope we haven't peaked a year too early because I'd like to think we could hopefully do it again and take up that opportunity.

"It's certainly something that forms hot debate.

I know as soon as we played our grand final for the Intrust Super Cup and then the following week was the grand final of the NSW Cup on NRL grand final day, I had a lot of people call me saying, 'We reckon you would have done it tough against the Sharks' or, 'We reckon you would have rolled the Sharks'.

"This is the opportunity now to see which way it would go.

"Grand finals are very much one of those things about who turns up to play on the day but certainly we'd relish the opportunity if we got it again. I'm sure any club at our level, in the Intrust Super Cup, would back themselves to go down there and perform well on Grand Final day."

Despite the elevation of the state-based competitions to a more prominent position on Grand Final day, Betros indicated that the QRL would not necessarily support the second-tier competitions becoming the curtain-raiser to NRL games, as has been mooted in some circles.

"In Queensland it might not be such an advantage," said Betros.

"We have great exposure on Channel Nine at 2 o'clock on Sunday with our live telecast and if the game of the round was taken away and put on as a curtain-raiser before an NRL game on a Friday night for example, we wouldn't get the same exposure.

"I don't believe that will be much of an option for Queensland. It will probably happen a lot more in NSW but not so much in Queensland."

The formation of the National Championship was one of a number of outcomes handed down by NRL chief operating officer Jim Doyle in the Elite Pathways Review. They include:

• A State Competitions Committee that will be established with representation from the NRL, QRL and NSWRL;

• Base funding for clubs ($100,000) is available subject to the following criteria – effective corporate governance model; ground facilities; appropriate level of management; investment in development/coaching programs;

• Formation of club affiliations – Primary and Secondary. NRL clubs will be required to maintain a Primary Affiliation in their geographic location. However, they can now have a Secondary Affiliation, effectively paving the way for an interstate club to place up to a third of their players with a Queensland club.

The 2014 Intrust Super Cup season will kick-off on the weekend of March 1-2 and will feature Redcliffe hosting Papua New Guinea as the Channel Nine match of the round with Mackay to travel to Kokopo to play PNG in Round 2.

http://www.nrl.com/queensland-eye-new-interstate-scalp/tabid/10874/newsid/75581/default.aspx

NSW coach Laurie Daley says Jarryd Hayne is likely to play in the centres for the Blues

NSW coach Laurie Daley says Jarryd Hayne has "outgrown'' the wing and is poised to be named in the NSW centres for next year's State of Origin series.

The only problem is that Hayne regards himself as a fullback.Playing Hayne at right centre to confront Queensland's Greg Inglis would allow Josh Dugan and Brett Stewart to fight for the vacant fullback spot.

Daley's comments come as the draw for next year's Origin series was released with the second game at Sydney's ANZ Stadium to be played on June 18. .

''Jarryd was very impressive at centre,'' Daley told The Daily Telegraph.

''He will be in the team somewhere and I think he has outgrown the wing.

''He can give us another option at centre and more depth. He played centre for Australia so he may well play centre for NSW.

''I think we need him in a position where he can do a bit more. I was impressed how he handled centre ... the way he took a knock (in the final) and defended strongly.

''I think the best of Jarryd is still in front of him. As I said, he will be there somewhere.'

"Blake Ferguson will be another option at centre if he is available, Josh Morris, Michael Jennings and maybe Hayne.''

But Hayne still wants to return to the No. 1 jersey.

"I think that is what everyone is talking about (moving to centre) but for me I really enjoy fullback and that attacking side of that,'' Hayne said after the World Cup final.

''Being on the edge is one of those positions where you can have games where you don't really see the ball and you can have games where you see all the ball.

"It is not dictated by how good you play, it is dictated by the halves inside you.

"(At fullback) you get a lot more places to roam and you can sort of have a lot more impact on the game."

Despite criticism the series was too long, NRL officials decided to leave three-week gaps between Origin games.NRL officials wanted to retain the lengthy breaks between matches to ensure marquee games are not played with Origin stars unavailable.

"We obviously try to place byes strategically through that particular area of the season to help compensate teams that are heavily affected by State of Origin and its impact on clubs," said NRL general manager of football operations, Nathan McGuirk.

"So we obviously also try and reserve marquee events or match-ups from our stand down Origin rounds when our superstars aren't playing and reserve those for rounds outside that time period.

"The representative weekend will be played on the weekend of May 2 to 4, with the traditional midyear Test between Australia and New Zealand played on the Friday night and City-Country - to be contested at Apex Oval, Dubbo - on Sunday.

The full NRL draw will be released tomorrow.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...es-for-the-blues/story-fni3fqyo-1226773700177

Origin dates revealed for 2014

By Matt Encarnacion
    NRL.com
    11:30am Mon 02nd December, 2013

The structure of the State of Origin series remains unchanged, with the NRL maintaining the three-week break between games for next year.

For the first time since 2011, two games will be held in Queensland in next year's series. Game I will be played in Brisbane on May 28, Game II in Sydney on June 18, before the series returns to Brisbane for Game III on July 9.

While there has been much debate over the scheduling of the Origin concept, the NRL has instead focused on ensuring its marquee games will not clash with rounds where clubs are without their representative stars.

"We obviously try to place byes strategically through that particular area of the season to help compensate teams that are heavily affected by State of Origin and its impact on clubs," NRL general manager of football operations Nathan McGuirk said.

"So we obviously also try and reserve marquee events or match-ups from our stand down Origin rounds when our superstars aren't playing and reserve those for rounds outside that time period."

The representative weekend will fall on the weekend of May 2-4, with the traditional mid-year Test between Australia and New Zealand played on the Friday night.

The City-Country fixture on the Sunday has also survived for at least one more year, returning to Apex Oval, Dubbo, where Country ran out 12-10 winners in 2006.

http://www.nrl.com/origin-dates-revealed-for-2014/tabid/10874/newsid/75616/default.aspx

Origin II tickets on sale this week

NRL
    1:35pm Mon 02nd December, 2013

Tickets to Sydney’s only Holden State of Origin match will go on sale this week and NRL Club Ticketed Members are the first to have the chance to secure seats from Thursday.

With the 2014 Telstra Premiership draw to be announced on Wednesday, the NRL today released the 2014 representative schedule, with NRL Club members having a priority buying option.

The representative season will kick-off with the World Cup final rematch between Australia and New Zealand on May 2 (venue TBC), followed by the AAMI Country v City clash at Dubbo on May 4.

Games I and III of the 2014 Holden State of Origin Series will be held at Brisbane’s Suncorp Stadium on May 28 and July 9; and Game II at Sydney’s ANZ Stadium on June 18.

Tickets for Game II go on sale to NRL Club Ticketed Members from Thursday Dec 5 until Sunday Dec 8 Non-ticketed Members on Monday, December 9; and the general public from Tuesday, December 17.

For more information on becoming an NRL Club Member, go to membership.nrl.com/.

Maroon Membership sales are extremely strong, with supporters taking up the opportunity pre-Christmas to secure their seats to Games I and III in Brisbane before tickets are released to the general public in March.

Ticket pricing - State of Origin II, ANZ Stadium, Sydney

Diamond - Adult $265

Platinum - Adult $210

Gold - Adult $155, Concession $140, Junior $125, Family $465

Silver - Adult $110, Concession $100, Junior $95, Familly $335

Bronze - Adult $65, Concession $60, Junior $50, Family $195

Supporters Sections Gold - Adult $170, Concession $155, Junior $140, Family $495

Supporters Sections Silver - Adult $125, Concession $115, Junior $110, Family $365

Supporters Sections Bronze - Adult $80, Concession $75, Junior $65, Family $225

http://www.nrl.com/origin-ii-tickets-on-sale-this-week/tabid/10874/newsid/75619/default.aspx

- - - Updated - - -

Cartwright concern at Origin schedule

NRL.com
    3:30pm Mon 02nd December, 2013

Gold Coast Titans coach John Cartwright has urged the NRL not to abandon possible changes to the structure of the State of Origin schedule in future after it was confirmed the 2014 Series would again be played out over an eight-week period.

The NRL's head of football, Todd Greenberg, had previously discussed the possibility of tightening the Origin schedule from eight weeks down to six but that clearly is now on hold with the announcement Origin matches will be played on May 28, June 18 and July 9 next year.

Cartwright expressed his disappointment that the status quo remained.

"It's a tough period of the year for everyone but I'd assumed they were going to tighten it up," Cartwright told NRL.com. "A two-week break I think would be a lot better. It's a long period of the season and I think it's detrimental to all clubs.

"Origin is a big part of the game but the clubs pay these boys and it's just a big chunk out of the year. You don't get a lot out of them during that period and it's pretty much a nine-week period."

Titans representative stars Greg Bird and Nate Myles have played 29 and 25 games respectively since the NRL season started on March 7 and Cartwright has concerns that with a limited pre-season the workload will begin to take its toll.

"When you consider that they have only just finished playing now, they'll get their six weeks off but the average player gets three months off and then we expect them to double up through the season," he said.

"I really hoped they were going to do what they said they were going to do and shorten up the time between games but it is what it is.

"The big thing is injuries. If you're injury-free you can often give the guys a rest but if you're carrying injuries and you're desperate then sometimes it forces your hand."

Cartwright welcomed the move to limit day games during the early stages of the season but will view the release of the draw on Wednesday with interest to gauge the turnaround times between games for the Titans during the season.

"There are averages on turnaround times and percentages of winning on long turnarounds compared to short turnarounds and you can't argue with the fact that the shorter the turnaround the harder it is to win.

"It's proven by the percentages that come out every year," Cartwright said.

He added that a minimum six-day turnaround for sides including the Warriors and the Cowboys that did the most travelling over long distances would be ideal.

"You've got to feel for sides like the Warriors and the Cowboys... in a perfect world it would be nice if we could get that."

http://www.nrl.com/cartwright-concern-at-origin-schedule/tabid/10874/newsid/75623/default.aspx

Players reject reduction of the length of Origin series due to physical burnout fears

PLAYER power has ruled supreme with the game's elite rejecting moves to shorten the 2014 State of Origin schedule because of concerns about their physical and mental well-being.

NRL head of football Todd Greenberg wanted to reduce the length of the Origin series for 2014 but hit a brick wall when he put the proposal to the Rugby League Players Association.

Fear of a physical and psychological burnout by reducing the gap between each Origin game by one week forced the NRL to abandon any plans to change the formula for next season.

"It was the players themselves that came back to us and said we preferred the current model in terms of the eight-week window rather than condensing it down," NRL general manager of football operations Nathan McGuirk said.

"The players were concerned about the quick back up within camps by reducing that time period.

"We heeded those calls and we said we will happily sit down with players during this season and try and work on what options are available that meet their needs."

RLPA chief executive David Garnsey said players were keen to consider other scheduling options but were never given the chance to enter into a proper discussion.

"Having consulted with the Origin players their concerns about reducing the Origin period centred on the physical and psychological toll taken by State of Origin football and the inadequate recovery time that would result from a condensed Series schedule," Garnsey said.

"But even with those concerns the proposed schedule change was not rejected out-of-hand, rather we proposed a 'round table' discussion involving all stakeholders that would consider Origin scheduling options and address the Players' issues.

"We're not aware what the reaction was from other parties (broadcasters, clubs etc) but in any event the NRL opted to shelve the idea for 2014."

The NRL yesterday confirmed the Origin dates for 2014 starting with Game One in Brisbane on May 28, with Game Two in Sydney on June 18 and Game Three in Brisbane on July 9.

The series will be identical in length to 2013 and run over six weeks and affect eight NRL competition rounds.

Player burnout had been a hot topic of discussion this year with NRL coaches furious at Origin impacting on one third of the regular season but also wary about player workloads.

As it stands the 2014 NRL schedule will be released just a few hours after Australia's World Cup team returns to the country.

The Test stars will not resume club duties until January, but will be back on the playing field by February for the new Auckland Nines tournament just 11 weeks after the World Cup final.

Maroons coach Mal Meninga agreed the competition schedule was too exhausting for the players and needed to be addressed.

"It's something the game needs to look at closely, it needs to be rectified and we need to come up with a plan about player welfare and the amount of games they play in the scheduling," Meninga said.

Queensland fans are urged to purchase memberships for priority access to next year's Origin games while tickets for the Sydney clash go on sale to the general public later this week.

Meninga said the Maroons were still concluding their planning for 2014 but with Queensland hosting two games for the first time since 2011 he knows they need to start the series firing.

"Game one is really important. It is every season but this year we have two at home and they (NSW) will be really working hard on getting game one and being successful up here that's for sure," he said.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...al-burnout-fears/story-fni3fqyo-1226773732478

- - - Updated - - -

Maroons plot Blues-free zone

NRL.com
    7:31am Tue 03rd December, 2013

New South Wales fans be warned: the Queensland Rugby League are doing all they can to stop you from attending the two Origin matches to be played in Brisbane in 2014.

With confirmation that Brisbane will host the first and third Origin matches of the 2014 Series on May 28 and July 9, the QRL have ramped up their campaign encouraging Queensland fans to become a 'Maroon member'.

Tickets for the sole Origin clash this year in Queensland sold out in 30 minutes and QRL chairman Peter Betros is hoping that by the time tickets go on sale to the public early next year, there will be slim pickings left for Blues fans.

"It's the only way to guarantee an Origin ticket [in Brisbane], to become a Maroon member," Betros told NRL.com. "It's just like becoming a member of a club only you are becoming a member of the Queensland Rugby League Maroons.

"You're guaranteeing yourself two Origin tickets plus quite a bit of merchandise and it gives you preliminary access to information about the team and insight into the team when it's in camp.

"There's a lot of interest already in Brisbane and throughout Queensland. We've had inquiries from North Queensland all the way down about ticketing and how best to acquire tickets.

"By the time we go on sale to the public in early '14 I think we're going to have a massive membership base already signed up to guarantee their tickets.

"If we sold the stadium out and filled it full of Maroon members then we would be totally ecstatic. That would shut out any chance of the Blues infiltrating Suncorp Stadium.

"It's possible that in the future the only way to get to an Origin match is to be a Maroon member and we'd love for that to happen."

Next year will be just the second time since 2007 that Brisbane has hosted two matches in an Origin Series and from the display of many of the Maroons' key players for Australia in the World Cup Final last Sunday morning, the Blues will be hard pressed to end the winning streak at eight.

While expectation from fans is for the Queensland dominance to continue, Betros believes there is also a great appreciation for the legacy the current batch of Maroons will leave behind.

"They really appreciate the calibre of the team and the quality of player they've been privileged to see over the last eight years," Betros said.

"I think the Queensland public do appreciate the outstanding quality of that team but the more it goes on the more people expect you to win and the pressure builds more and more to keep winning.

"From what I saw on the weekend, players who NSW called old this year, those players are still performing at an absolutely outstanding level."

The QRL will announce the squad for the Emerging Origin camp in January prior to Christmas, a program that earlier this year included Daly Cherry-Evans, Josh Papalii and Chris McQueen, who all went on to play key roles in the Maroons' eighth-straight Origin Series win.

http://www.nrl.com/maroons-plot-blues-free-zone/tabid/10874/newsid/75627/default.aspx

2. Afro Zac

Afro Zac Todd Bates

Hmmm Hayne needs to be fullback...

3. Hamish171

Hamish171 Adam Woolnough

Learning
    I wouldn't mind seeing Hayne as centre but for now just keep him at fullback for the blues.

4. packo

packo :) (:

Government
    Daley making positional calls in December in pointless. I hate it when headlines have the word "yearn" in them.

5. Levil Kinevil

Levil Kinevil Slappin the bass mon

baker
    The only problem we had last year was the halves not being good enough

6. cameron

cameron Craig Gower

Hayne has to be fullback, we're well stocked in the centres already. However we really need to get Lyon to play somehow, I'd love for his and Glenn Stewart's combination to be there. Pearce has to go, halves should be something out of Maloney, Carney and Mullen. Also I know its a bit left field, but I think give Mateo a crack if Maloney is playing, they had an awesome combination at the Warriors. Our forwards are great, our backs are great, halves are the only let down in comparison to QLD

7. rhugh89

NSW and QLD State of Origin players offered $30,000 to fight in Sydney next year

[​IMG]
    State of Origin stars will be offered $30,000 to take their rivalry into the boxing ring. Source: Getty Images

NSW and Queensland State of Origin players will be paid $30,000 each to step into the boxing ring next year, with the mouth-watering fight night set to be staged in Sydney.

Banking on one of world sport's most bitter rivalry's, the Origin showdown will be bankrolled by the same organisers of next year's inaugural NRL Auckland Nines tournament.

The prospect of Blues captain Paul Gallen and Maroons forward Nate Myles renewing their hatred over three rounds inside the ring has already attracted interest from pay TV network Main Event.

Organisers, who have also held preliminary talks with a major sponsor, are likely to pursue Greg Inglis in a match-up with Jarryd Hayne.

The night would also allow NSW halfback Mitchell Pearce to settle old scores with 2013 Origin series nemesis, Billy Slater.

The $30,000 purse on offer to each player for three rounds in the boxing ring is a huge lure given they receive the same amount for 80-minutes of Origin.

With planning already underway, a collection of Origin stars, including Blues enforcer Greg Bird have already been sounded out by event organisers, David Higgins and Dean Lonergan, about pulling on the gloves for their state next year.

"There's definitely a lot of rivalries there that would be awesome to see,'' Bird told The Sunday Telegraph.

"There's even some rivalries from the past which wouldn't be bad to reunite, like Mal Meninga and Mark 'Sparkles' McGaw.

"But seriously, these are the things the fans want to see. They love the Origin hatred and boxing is a big part of our training nowadays.

"I watched Billy (Slater) do some boxing training during the world cup and he can throw them.''

The sticking point for Lonergan and Higgins is when exactly the event will be held following the NRL season, particularly when the 2014 season also includes an end of season Four Nations tournament that will conclude in late-November.

But given the recent success of their Fight For Life charity boxing events, which was held in Auckland last night and has previously included the likes of Gallen, Bird, Sam Thaiday and Willie Mason, a similar date in December next year is most likely.

Bird said that provided the timing of the Origin fight night suits, the players would support the event, particularly if the proceeds went to charity.

"If you figure out the right time of the year, I'm sure a lot of players would want to be involved in it,'' Bird said.

"You get a good charity involved and a handy pay check, I'm sure it would be supported.''

Lonergan said that as soon as the Nines tournament concluded in February, both he and Higgins would zero in on planning for the Origin fight night.

"As far as we are concerned, we are 100 per cent going to do an Origin Fight for Life next year and we may even rest the New Zealand event for one year to get it done,'' Lonergan said.

"We see these guys tearing into each other each Origin series, but to step into the ring and put their reputations on the line is a different story.

"We want it to be in Sydney and will begin to scout locations early next year.

"We will make this happen.''

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...sydney-next-year/story-fni3fbgz-1226783239176

Last edited: Dec 15, 2013
  8. cowboyman

cowboyman Adam Woolnough

Hospitality
    NSW best fighter up against Sam Thaiday please.

9. rhugh89

This would be my card :D

Bird vs Thaiday

Gallen vs Myles

Jennings vs Tate

Farah vs Smith

Pearce vs Slater

Main Event - Legends Match

Willie Mason vs Gorden Tallis

Last edited: Dec 15, 2013
  10. cameron

cameron Craig Gower

Lockyer vs Joey has to be there too hahah, maybe even a bit of friendly fire too with Smith vs Myles

11. cameron

cameron Craig Gower

He could be in a handicap match with another QLDer hahah or Thaiday interferes in a match to reinforce his 3rd man in tag

12. Joshhh

Joshhh OnARampageFuelledByGod

Hahah like one of those WWE matches, Thaiday hides under the arena before jumping out & interfering as third man in.

13. rhugh89

Origin II tickets on sale Tuesday

NRL
    10:55am Mon 16th December, 2013

[​IMG]
    NSW Blues fans make their voices heard in Sydney in Game One, 2013.

Tickets to Sydney's only 2014 Holden State of Origin match at ANZ Stadium will go on sale to the general public on Tuesday, 17 December.

While ticket sales have been strong to NRL Club members during their priority buying option, there is plenty of good seating still available atwww.ticketek.com.au/origin from 10am (AEDT) Tuesday.

Games I and III of the 2014 Holden State of Origin Series will be held at Brisbane's Suncorp Stadium on May 28 and July 9; and Game II at Sydney's ANZ Stadium on June 18.

Get your Origin II tickets atwww.ticketek.com.au/origin

NSW Minister for Tourism and Major Events, George Souris, said: "With both New South Wales games a sell-out in 2013, I encourage all Rugby League fans to purchase their tickets quickly to Game 2 at Sydney's ANZ Stadium on June 18, 2014.

"As the heartland of Rugby League and the home of major events in Australia, nothing beats seeing the passion of a Sydney State of Origin game.

"A visit to Sydney will not only allow fans to experience the thrills and spills of the game, but also enjoy the huge array of activities that will be on their door step.

"It is estimated from 2014-16, State of Origin will drive over $40 million into the NSW economy, via direct visitor spend from overseas, interstate and intrastate visitors."

Maroon Membership sales are extremely strong, with supporters taking up the opportunity pre-Christmas to secure their seats to Games I and III in Brisbane before tickets are released to the general public in March.

Ticket pricing - State of Origin II, ANZ Stadium, Sydney

Diamond - Adult $265
    Platinum - Adult $210
    Gold - Adult $155, Concession $140, Junior $125, Family $465
    Silver - Adult $110, Concession $100, Junior $95, Familly $335
    Bronze - Adult $65, Concession $60, Junior $50, Family $195
    Supporters Sections Gold - Adult $170, Concession $155, Junior $140, Family $495
    Supporters Sections Silver - Adult $125, Concession $115, Junior $110, Family $365
    Supporters Sections Bronze - Adult $80, Concession $75, Junior $65, Family $225

http://www.nrl.com/origin-ii-tickets-on-sale-tuesday/tabid/10874/newsid/75761/default.aspx

14. rhugh89

New South Wales will force Luke Keary to wear blue despite the half being a passionate Queenslander

• TODD BALYM
    • THE COURIER-MAIL
    • JANUARY 16, 2014 11:00PM

LUKE Keary was born and raised in Ipswich but will be forced against his will to represent NSW in State of Origin.

The South Sydney halfback idolised Allan Langer and Darren Lockyer as a youngster and was a member of Queensland's Emerging Origin squad last year, but will be absent when the young stars gather in Brisbane on Friday because NRL officials have ruled he must play for the Blues.

Keary told The Courier-Mail last year he wanted to play for Queensland, but desperate Blues officials have successfully claimed him as one of their own.

The Blues complained to the ARL Commission who ruled the 21-year-old was a New South Welshman because four of the six eligibility questions came up Blue, with only his place of birth being Maroon.

Keary was born in Ipswich but moved to Sydney when he was 10 and completed the majority of his schooling and junior football down south.

He played for the NSW Combined Independent Schools team in 2010 but he returned to Queensland in 2011 to make his senior football debut with the Burleigh Bears before joining the Rabbitohs.

Keary is such a prodigious talent that Souths extended his deal until the end of 2015 last year.

He is likely to secure a permanent first-grade position ahead of Adam Reynolds and John Sutton.Maroons coach Mal Meninga said Queensland would continue to support Keary's push to have his status returned to the Maroons.

"It's disappointing for Luke and for us,'' Meninga said. "I know Luke wanted to play for Queensland and we won't give up on him.

"Luke is a passionate Queenslander and wants to play for Queensland. He played his junior footy at Ipswich before moving to Sydney with his parents.

"I don't know if there is any way we can appeal it, I guess we will look at it and see where we can take it from here."

Queensland had two eligibility victories, with Manly prop Brenton Lawrence and Penrith hooker James Segeyaro both declared Maroons.

They will join Friday's camp, taking the squad to 14.Segeyaro was born in Papua New Guinea but qualifies for the Maroons after moving to Cairns as a child.

Lawrence was born in Mackay but played all of his junior league in Adelaide.Even though he moved to Canberra in his late teens, Lawrence failed to register a single answer for NSW under the criteria and therefore remained a Queenslander.

It is an enormous boost for Lawrence, who at 29 is the oldest member of the Emerging squad and continues a remarkable career rise since he joined the Sea Eagles last season after two years battling to make first-grade on the Gold Coast.

"I think he deserves it. His last couple of years have been pretty impressive,'' Meninga said.

"I just want to see him in with the other guys and see how he handles it all."He is up there and deserves an opportunity in the Emerging squad.''

Meanwhile, Queensland great Kevin Walters is set to become a fulltime Maroons assistant coach this year, with Meninga seeking board approval to add another staffer to his team in their quest for nine straight titles.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...ate-queenslander/story-fni3fqyo-1226803583081

Last edited: Jan 17, 2014
  15. cameron

cameron Craig Gower

My god, these rules are a joke. If I was born in QLD and moved down to NSW when I was 10, I still would've wanted to bloody play for QLD. Should be where you are born, plain and simple, most of all, it clears up any confusion.

16. cowboyman

cowboyman Adam Woolnough

Hospitality
    I agree that it should just be from where you were born. Bad luck if you were born in any other state or moved over at a young age.

I don't think Keary is a player worth fighting for. He will be very lucky to make it to origin level anyways imo.

17. rhugh89

NSW begin Origin preparations early

By James MacSmith
    AAP
    7:13pm Fri 17th January, 2014

[​IMG]The NSW Blues have started their State of Origin preparations early in 2014.

Desperate to end Queensland's stranglehold on State of Origin, NSW began their earliest ever preparations for the interstate series on Friday - 131 days before the opening game.

In the middle of summer on a day when temperatures in Sydney climbed into the mid-30s, England and Australia continued cricket's oldest feud at the Gabba and the world's best tennis players battled it out at Melbourne Park in the year's first major, NSW coach Laurie Daley called his players into camp in Sydney.

Queensland will begin their quest for a ninth successive series win at Suncorp Stadium on May 28 and Daley said the two-day camp attended by a host of NSW stars was about strengthening the Blues culture.

"We don't get an opportunity to get the players together too often," Daley told AAP.

"When a series is over you just move on with your club commitments then get together a week out from Origin the next year and it just starts all over again. I just wanted to make sure we get everyone together.

"There are players outside of this group here today who can play Origin, I'm not just saying these guys are there but these guys have been here the last couple of years and it's just a matter of debriefing on what happened last year and continuing to work on our culture and our behaviours and all we need to do to beat Queensland this year.

"Everyone always enjoys their time together in representative camp so for the boys who have been together in the system it's like a big happy family.

"It is great to see the boys back together and we will have a dinner tonight and work on a few things together and hopefully this is the start of what can be a successful year for us."

Captain Paul Gallen said the Blues were aiming to put together the most comprehensive preparation for an Origin series ever.

"It's obviously a big year for us and Laurie wants to leave no stone unturned in our preparation and I think that's pretty important," Gallen said.

"We are coming up to the first game, the 100th game in Origin history so it is going to be a huge occasion and we want to be as well prepared as we can be.

I think we are going into camp a couple of days later possibly this year so when we get in there we want to hit the ground running."

http://www.nrl.com/nsw-begin-origin-preparations-early/tabid/10874/newsid/75918/default.aspx

18. Afro Zac

Afro Zac Todd Bates

Shall we start naming our origin line up for this years series?? :lol:

19. cameron

cameron Craig Gower

NSW - 7. Anyone but Pearce

20. rhugh89

Daley in push for Origin youth

By James MacSmith
    AAP
    1:30pm Sat 18th January, 2014

NSW coach Laurie Daley says he will look to continue to blood young State of Origin talent this year as the Blues seek to break Queensland's eight-year series dominance.

After another disappointing 2-1 loss last year, the performances of debutants Andrew Fifita and Boyd Cordner were two positives Daley could take out of his first year as Blues coach.

Cordner and Fifita had breakout years and were part of the Australia squad that won back the World Cup.

Both are set to become long-serving Blues players and up against Queensland's ageing stars, youth could prove to be a trump card for Daley this year.

"We had a lot of guys last year that debuted and a new breed, a young breed coming through, Boyd Cordner, Andrew Fifita, Josh Reynolds and Blake Ferguson was another," Daley told AAP

"We just have to continue to build on that and look to unearth some new players.

"There is usually someone who jumps out of the ground all the time and when they do that it is always a good feeling when you get some young guys around the camp because they are exuberant and they bring some real enthusiasm into the squad."

NSW began their earliest ever Origin preparation on Friday as Daley called 25 players who have been part of the Blues squad over the last two years into a two-day bonding camp.

But the former Canberra premiership winner stressed he would be also be looking to players outside that squad to play a part in his 2014 campaign.

One of those players who won't be involved is Ferguson. The former Canberra and Cronulla three-quarter played a starring role in NSW's game one victory last year before missing the next two fixtures due to an off-field indiscretion.

Ferguson is currently waiting to be sentenced after being found guilty of indecent assault and is unlikely to return to rugby league this year.

"I haven't spoken to Blake for a while he is a guy who has plenty of people in his corner," Daley said.

"I know Choc (Anthony Mundine) is trying to take him under his wing so hopefully that is all working out.

"Blake is a very talented player but at the moment he has some other issues that he has to deal with and I think he is a guy that just needs to take baby steps at the moment and get himself in order and whatever comes from that will come."

http://www.nrl.com/daley-in-push-for-origin-youth/tabid/10874/newsid/75924/default.aspx