2014 NRL Player Rumours & Signings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like Gagai before he came here, i'm sure wherever Ulugia ends up, he'll have a Gagai-like break-out season too, he looks talented enough.

Jack De Belin re-signs with the Dragons until the end of 2017. Dragons also promoted Willie Mataka from their feeder side to top squad for 1 year.

De Belin re-signs with Dragons

By St George Illawarra Dragons
NRL.com
10:56am Fri 31st January, 2014

Jack de Belin has agreed to terms on a three-year contract extension that will see him remain at the the St George Illawarra Dragons until at least the end of 2017.

De Belin, 22, made his debut for the Dragons during the 2011 campaign against the Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles and has played 42 first-grade games to date.

The Cootamundra Bulldogs junior, who played 20 first-grade games last season, was named both the National Youth Competition 'Player of the Year' and selected to the Junior Kangaroos team in 2011.

"The Dragons are a great club that have provided me the opportunity to break into first-grade and help establish myself as a player," said de Belin.

"I am happy being here and I am excited to continue being able to play football alongside some of my best friends.

Additionally, the Dragons have confirmed the signing of Willie Mataka to a one-year contract that will see him remain at the Club until at least the end of the season.

Mataka, 25, who can play in the centre or second-row, debuted for Wests Tigers during the 2009 campaign and has additionally played for the Sydney Roosters (2011), Parramatta Eels (2012) and most recently the Illawarra Cutters (2013).

http://www.nrl.com/de-belin-re-signs-with-dragons/tabid/10874/newsid/76048/default.aspx

Wayne Uligia will most definitely be picked up by some club. Too much talent to be wasted in him, hopefully gets his act together.

Titans coach John Cartwright may add Matt Keating to squad if hooker crisis worsens

• TRAVIS MEYN
  • GOLD COAST BULLETIN
  • JANUARY 31, 2014 10:00PM

HE joined the Burleigh Bears seeking a new beginning but ex-Parramatta hooker Matt Keating could be on his way to being thrown an NRL lifeline by the Titans.

Gold Coast coach John Cartwright will consider drafting Keating into his squad if the Titans' No.9 crisis worsens as Beau Falloon (hamstring), Matt Srama (shoulder), Sam Irwin (ankle) and Paul Carter (ankle) battle injuries.

Keating was one of the 12 Eels infamously told by then coach Ricky Stuart last year they were unwanted for 2014.The 27-year-old decided to move to the Gold Coast with wife Jocelyn, who hails from the region, and begin a new life.

But with 130 games of NRL experience, Keating is now on the radar of Cartwright and keen for a return to the first grade.

"You'd never say never to that sort of opportunity," Keating said.

"If something pops up then I'll look into it and see what the best result would be for me. I'd love to play it again.

"I'm not saying I won't or I will.

"If something pops up I'll take it with both hands.

"I'm not going to sit back, have my fingers crossed and wish for it.

"If it pops up I've got to take advantage of it and that's how I'm looking at it."

Keating could add some experience to the Gold Coast's hooking department which holds just 116 NRL appearances between them.

Srama will miss the start of the NRL season but the other three are expected to be fit by then and Cartwright said he would be keeping an eye on Keating.

"We'll be definitely watching. I rate him very highly," he said.

"He's got nothing but good reports coming out of Burleigh.

"We'll wait and see how these guys get through.

"If they were long-term (injuries) we'd certainly be looking for help."

Burleigh plays its first pre-season trial against Sunshine Coast at Mudgeeraba tonight and Keating will see some game time.

Bears coach Carl Briggs said his star recruit could easily return to the NRL.

"He's been outstanding.

"We've got everything we thought when we signed him and more," he said.

"He's the ultimate professional.

"The players are feeding off that."I have no doubt he can (still play NRL).

"He can step up and you can see that in our training.

"He's a very talented footballer.

"I'm not naive enough to think people won't look at him because he's a fantastic footballer."

Tweed Heads will play a trial against the Gold Coast Titans under-20s team at Cudgen tomorrow night.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...r-crisis-worsens/story-fni3grk4-1226815327498

Sam Burgess considering quitting the Rabbitohs to accept a multi-million dollar offer to play rugby union for England in the 2015 World Cup

• JAMES HOOPER RUGBY LEAGUE REPORTER
  • THE SUNDAY TELEGRAPH
  • FEBRUARY 01, 2014 11:44PM

622213-6880545a-8adf-11e3-92e1-07d47f226b83.jpg

Sam Burgess is understood to have told his club he is looking to be released from his contract.Source: News Limited

SOUTH Sydney forward Sam Burgess is considering quitting the Rabbitohs to accept a multi-million dollar offer to play rugby union for England in the 2015 World Cup.

The Sunday Telegraph has learned a key representative from England's Rugby Football Union floated the idea of a code switch during the Rugby League World Cup in the UK last November.

It is understood Burgess could potentially earn as much as $2 million-a-year to make the switch to English rugby, with one source claiming the deal was for three seasons.

Burgess, who is contracted to South Sydney until the end of 2016, has told those close to him the prospect of becoming a dual international for England holds massive appeal.

If Burgess accepts the offer, it would mean leaving the Rabbitohs at the end of this season.

South Sydney have been made aware of the rugby union approach and have even gone as far as attempting to fast-track negotiations to sign Kangaroo forward and Cronulla prop Andrew Fifita for 2015 as part of the club's contingency plan.

Souths have gone into damage control about the Burgess development, with chief executive Shane Richardson adamant there has been no approach from England's Rugby Football Union about Burgess being granted an early release.

"There's been no approach from the English rugby union, Sam Burgess, his management or any English rugby union clubs about a release," Richardson said.

"He's contracted with South Sydney for another three seasons."

But The Sunday Telegraph has learned England rugby league legend Andy Farrell, now one of the coaches in the England rugby union set up, is believed to have approached Burgess about the prospect of switching codes.

Using the Rugby World Cup in England as a primary drawcard, Farrell is believed to have planted the seed about Burgess playing for his country in front of sold-out home crowds at Twickenham in 2015.

Farrell is an English rugby league legend who also switched codes late in his career and became a dual international.

Crucially, Farrell has been employed in the England rugby union coaching structure for the past 18 months.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...e-2015-world-cup/story-fni0cx12-1226815622240

- - - Updated - - -

If Sam Burgess turns his back on league the sky won't quite have fallen in, writes James Hooper

• JAMES HOOPER
  • THE SUNDAY TELEGRAPH
  • FEBRUARY 01, 2014 3:15PM

THE sky won't quite have fallen in if Sam Burgess opts to become the latest NRL star to turn his back on rugby league and switch codes to Rugby union.

But on the back of Sonny Bill Williams return to the All Blacks next year and Benji Marshall's departure to the Auckland Blues, alarm bells should be blaring at NRL headquarters.

As much as Rugby union can be a complete yawn-fest with all its pedantic penalties and rule interpretations, it's impossible to ignore the global and financial appeal of the sport.

For rugby league players, the trump card of becoming a dual international, playing Test matches at a World Cup and then chasing Olympic glory at the Rio Games in 2016 is massive.

Is it a black day for the NRL is Burgess goes? Absolutely.

He is a genuine superstar who puts bums on seats and sells memberships.

When Russell Crowe first convinced Burgess to leave Bradford for Redfern, Australia quickly adopted big Sam as one of our own.

Burgess's uncompromising brand of football quickly earned him instant notoriety, drawing comparisons with previous champion English imports like Adrian Morley, Malcolm Reilly, Cliff Watson and Gareth Ellis.

But last season Sam lost a little bit of his lustre when he opted to go the squirrel grip on Melbourne's Will Chambers.

If his star wasn't already fading after that, then his swinging arm to knock out Sam Thaiday at the Rugby League World Cup sent Sam's appeal in the social pages well and truly south.

What will his departure mean for his three brothers, Luke, George and Tom, at the Rabbitohs?

The good news is they are all contracted to the Bunnies and unlikely to be chased by the English Rugby union team.

Will Sam make a success of it in the 15-a-side code? No question.

Tough, skilful and a possessed with a fierce competitive streak, Burgess could carve a legacy as an English Rugby union legend.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...tes-james-hooper/story-fni3gki8-1226815654565

- - - Updated - - -

South Sydney Rabbitohs target Sharks prop Andrew Fifita as a replacement for Sam Burgess

• JAMES HOOPER
  • THE SUNDAY TELEGRAPH
  • FEBRUARY 01, 2014 9:30PM

LAST December, Kangaroo prop Andrew Fifita was spotted at the Bellevue Hotel in Paddington in secret talks with Wallaby coach Ewen McKenzie about a potential switch to the 15-a-side code.

Ironically, two months later, the South Sydney Rabbitohs have identified the Cronulla front rower as the ideal replacement for Sam Burgess, should the red and green forward quit the NRL for rugby union.

The Sunday Telegraph understands Burgess has been made a huge offer to play rugby union for England in the 2015 Rugby World Cup.

For the South Sydney forward to take on the challenge of becoming a dual international, Burgess would need to quit the Rabbitohs with two years remaining on his existing contract.

Enter Sharks prop Fifita, who is off contract at Cronulla at the end of this season and due for a huge pay rise given his standing in the game as a Test and NSW State of Origin front rower.

The Sunday Telegraph can confirm South Sydney have already targeted Fifita as the best fit to try and replace the giant presence of Burgess.

If successful, it would be a masterstroke from Souths coach Michael Maguire, who would effectively be replacing one of the most damaging forwards in the NRL with an equally destructive player.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...-for-sam-burgess/story-fni3gki8-1226815668718

I don't know if this'll happen. His brothers came all the way down under just to be with Sam and now he may quit to play rugby and leave them in Australia? Won't be believing this until more info comes out.

South Sydney star Sam Burgess not on our radar, reveals Australian Rugby Union

• IAIN PAYTEN
  • THE DAILY TELEGRAPH
  • FEBRUARY 03, 2014 12:00AM

THE Australian Rugby Union baulked at making a play for Sam Burgess on Sunday night as it emerged wealthy English club Bath are targeting the Rabbitohs star.

As revealed in the Sunday Telegraph, Burgess is considering seeking a release from Souths at the end of the year to switch codes and return to England ahead of the 2015 Rugby World Cup.

The 25-year-old is believed to have been approached last year by former UK league legend Andy Farrell - now defence coach of the English rugby team - who pitched the idea of Burgess to play rugby and push for World Cup selection.

Though it would be a big ask with less than a year to learn the game, if Burgess won an English call-up a potential clash with the Wallabies could occur given the teams are in the same World Cup pool.

The Rugby Football Union said no official approach had taken place but unlike in Australia, where the ARU pay star players, clubs are the ones who pay the wages of English players.

Leading Premiership club Bath, which is owned by a pharmaceuticals millionaire, is understood to be leading the charge to recruit Burgess and is putting together a big-dollar package.

Burgess would be a powerhouse back-rower or lock in rugby and theoretically could even play for the Wallabies if he decided to stay, given he has lived in Australia for more than three years and playing league for another country doesn't count against eligibility.

But news of the 24-year-old considering a switch of codes didn't prompt the ARU to also throw their hat in the ring.

"He is not someone we are considering. He has certainly not come on to our radar," an ARU spokesperson said.

The unofficial policy of the ARU these days is to not actively approach league players, but instead wait for the player/manager to contact them before talking turkey.

Waratahs coach Michael Cheika quipped he needed a "Burgess brother" last year to add grunt to his pack but when told there might be one on the market, he joked he couldn't afford him.

"I think that's probably more those clubs with (pounds) sterling that are looking for the great Sam Burgess, not the ones with our poor Australian dollar," Cheika said.

Rugby league connections strengthens the Bath-Burgess link, with head coach Mike Ford also a well-known former rugby league player with Castleford, Wigan and Oldham.

Like Farrell, Ford became England defence coach after retiring and, furthermore, has known Burgess for many years.

Ford first met the Bunnies hardman in 2009 when Burgess and ex-GB coach Steve McNamara came to his house to try and talk his 16-year-old son George to stick with league.

The prodigiously talented teenager chose rugby, however, and now plays for Bath and England.

Ford also attempted to recruit McNamara - a mentor to Burgess - to his staff but he joined the Roosters instead.

With a salary cap of $A9 million in the Aviva Premiership, English league stars are increasingly switching to union.

Burgess' Former Great Britain league teammate Kyle Eastmond plays at Bath, while Farrell's son Owen is an England star.

Farrell's conversation with Burgess is believed to have taken place at the 2013 Rugby World Cup but the pair crossed paths over a year earlier when Farrell visited Australia on a coaching study tour in June, 2012.

Farrell spent a day with Souths at Redfern Oval as a guest observer, along with time at Swans and Waratahs' training sessions.

Farrell declined to be interviewed by the Daily Telegraph about the "personal development" trip last year.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...lian-rugby-union/story-fni3fbgz-1226816092212

How about he just comes to the knights instead hahah awesome player, and exactly the sort of player we need.

Burgess would be lucky to last 20 minutes before getting sent off in union. He would be stupid to code swap.

Confirmation from the Bulldogs that Des Hasler has re-signed until the end of 2017...

Hasler a Bulldog through to 2017

By Chris Kennedy
NRL.com
12:00pm Mon 03rd February, 2014

Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs head coach Des Hasler has signed a two-year contract extension, keeping him at Belmore until the end of the 2017 season.

Hasler departed Manly for the blue-and-whites shortly after the northern beaches club's grand final triumph in 2011, his second premiership with the club. He took the

Bulldogs to a grand final appearance in his first season in 2013, and backed that up with a fifth-place finish last year despite being without many topline stars for large chunks of the season.

His original three-year deal was due to expire after the 2015 season, but the club said it had made retaining him a priority.

"I've enjoyed my time here at Belmore so far and want to continue working with this staff and group of men, who are dedicated to achieving the best possible outcome," Hasler said in a Bulldogs statement.

"The Board has allowed me to run a football program that I believe will get the best results for both the Club and the athletes.

"I have great confidence in the leadership of the Club and I look forward to continuing the Bulldogs' commitment to success."

Chairman Ray Dib also welcomed the extension.

"It was a seamless process and it was important that we continue the momentum that has been developed with Des and the football program over the last two years," Dib said.

Bulldogs chief executive Raelene Castle said the extension gives certainty to the playing group and would bring benefits in terms of future player recruitment.

"Des has brought a level of professionalism and innovation to this Bulldogs that could rival any of the top sporting organisations in the world," Castle said.

"Des and I have built a relationship built on trust and respect and we'll continue to work together to achieve the best we can for this Club.

'We're pleased to have been able to get this completed before the start of the 2014 season."

http://www.nrl.com/hasler-a-bulldog-through-to-2017/tabid/10874/newsid/76071/default.aspx

Rumour that Henare Wells to the Cowboys. Been at the Roosters for a few years. Went to Keebra Park High. Made the junior rep sides and was in NSW Cup Team of the Year last year in his first full year out of U20's.

Don't know what Broncos are thinking. 1 year yeah but 2 is a big call IMO. Must be on close to minimum.

Confirmation of Richie's retirement after the Sea Eagles denied he had retired when first announced last week...

Injury forces Manly's Fa'aoso to retire

By Chris Kennedy, National Correspondent
NRL.com
1:45pm Tue 04th February, 2014

35626_20_1.jpg

Richie Fa'aoso's has announced his retirement following a neck injury suffered in last year's finals series. Credit: Robb Cox/NRL Photos

Manly prop Richie Fa'aoso has formally retired from rugby league due to a fractured vertebrae suffered in the side's grand final qualifier against South Sydney last season.

The 29-year-old veteran of 11 NRL seasons had been hopeful of returning in 2014 (the final year of his current contract) but extensive tests showed the risks would be too great, according to a club statement.

"It's an unfortunate situation for Richie and his family," Sea Eagles general manager David Perry said.

"No-one wishes for the career of a player to be cut short, but regardless of who you are, a player's health and wellbeing will always remain the most important factor when a decision such as this is to be made."

He said the club and the NRL will continue to support Fa'aoso and his family with his rehabilitation and life after football, including assisting him with suitable education courses.

"On behalf of all Sea Eagles members, supporters, fans and staff, I'd like to thank and congratulate Richie for his commitment and achievements to our club and the game of rugby league."

After debuting in 2004 for the Panthers, Fa'aoso played 155 NRL games for Penrith, Sydney Roosters, Parramatta, Newcastle, Melbourne (where he won a premiership in 2012) and Manly, as well as 25 Super League games for Castleford and 10 Tests for Tonga.

"It's very disappointing and unfortunate, but I feel blessed to have played with the people I have over so many years," Fa'aoso said in a statement.

"I've had many highs and lows in my career and I'm extremely grateful for the opportunities the game of rugby league has given to me.

"I want to thank the Manly Warringah Sea Eagles, and in particular, my family and friends, who have supported me throughout my entire career."

Sea Eagles coach Geoff Toovey said it was upsetting for Fa'aoso's career to end this way after being an integral part of the side's march to the grand final in 2013.

The loss of Fa'aoso is a further blow to the Sea Eagles who had already lost fellow props Brent Kite (Panthers), George Rose (Melbourne), Joe Galuvao (retirement) and David Gower (Parramatta) and will be relying on a number of young recruits and up-and-comers to fill the front row void in 2014.

http://www.nrl.com/injury-forces-manlys-faaoso-to-retire/tabid/10874/newsid/76118/default.aspx

Rabbitohs lock down Maguire until 2017

NRL.com

4:50pm Tue 04th February, 2014

The South Sydney Rabbitohs have extended the contract of head coach Michael Maguire until the end of the 2017 season.

Maguire has won 36 of his 53 matches as head coach of the club over 2012 and 2013 for a winning percentage of 68%, having previously won a Super League title as head coach of Wigan in 2010.

Before that he spent five years at the Storm as assistant coach, with the club reaching four consecutive grand finals.

"Michael’s commitment for the next four years should inspire all of our members and supporters that a great era for our club beckons," Rabbitohs club Chairman Nicholas Pappas said in a statement.

Maguire says he’s pleased to have re-signed "and to have the opportunity to continue to work on everything we’ve been doing for an extended period."

"My staff and I are very dedicated to making sure we get the best performances out of the team every week, and the boys have shown that same dedication and commitment so far throughout the pre-season.

"I also see Souths Juniors as a major part of our organisation moving forward and the implementation of the various programs to help develop our juniors into the next generation of Rabbitohs.

"To our Members, I really appreciate everything that they’re doing for us as a Club.

"We want to keep enjoying the ride alongside our Members and keep working hard to achieve the goals we’ve set ourselves as a group.

"We’ve got a way to go to get to where we want to be and we’re working extremely hard to reach those goals.

"It’s great to be a part of the Rabbitohs family.”

Rabbitohs CEO Shane Richardson also expressed his support for the new deal.

"Michael is one of the best young coaches in the NRL and we couldn’t be happier that he has committed to the Club for the next four seasons,” Richardson said.

"The changes Michael has implemented here in his first two years as Head Coach have done wonders for our football programs, and we are looking forward to working with him on the continuing improvements we are looking to make, both on and off the field.

"He has the respect of our players, staff, board of directors, corporate partners and Members and we’re pleased that he will be part of the Rabbitohs family for at least the next four years.”

http://www.nrl.com/rabbitohs-lock-down-maguire-until-2017/tabid/10874/newsid/76125/default.aspx

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back