2013 NSW Cup Thread

Discussion in 'Newcastle Knights Lower Grades' started by Joshhh, Oct 24, 2012.

1. Joshhh

Joshhh OnARampageFuelledByGod

http://www.nswrl.com.au/default.asp...&title=13-teams-confirmed-for-2013-vb-nsw-cup

13 teams named for the 2013 comp.

Auckland Vulcans - Warriors
    Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs - Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs
    Cronulla Sharks - Cronulla Sharks/Melbourne Storm
    Illawarra Cutters - St George Illawarra Dragons
    Manly Warringah Sea Eagles - Manly Warringah Sea Eagles
    Mounties - Canberra Raiders
    Newcastle Knights - Newcastle Knights
    Newtown Jets - Sydney Roosters
    North Sydney Bears - South Sydney Rabbitohs
    Wentworthville Magpies - Parramatta Eels
    Wests Tigers - Wests Tigers
    Windsor Wolves - Penrith Panthers
    Wyong Roos - Stand alone

2. Joshhh

NSW Cup games to be televised as NRL curtain-raisers

By Josh Massoud

[​IMG]
    2012 NSW CUP Grand Final winners the Newtown Jets.

THE long-neglected NSW Cup is set to receive a welcome profile boost in 2013, with weekly matches to be televised live as NRL curtain-raisers.

The Daily Telegraph has learned negotiations between the NSWRL and Fox Sports are well advanced to broadcast a selected match every round, which would herald the return of the traditional three-match program.

The preferred timeslot for live broadcasts is 1.30pm on Saturday, before NYC and NRL fixtures at the same venue. The deal goes some way toward restoring the prestige of the senior feeder competition, which has languished in suburban and provincial ovals since the NYC's birth in 2008.

But there could be further progress for the NSW Cup beyond next year, with former NZRL boss Jim Doyle yesterday appointed to conduct a review of all feeder competitions.

NRL club bosses have already made their preference for open-age football clear, believing it should replace under-20s matches as the established curtain-raiser.

The NSWRL has also confirmed the third-tier Bundaberg Cup will be re-named the Ron Massey Cup in response to the rum giant quitting its sponsorship at the end of this year.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...-curtain-raisers/story-e6frexnr-1226541437533

A good step in the right direction for the NSW Cup.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2012
  3. turtonrd

turtonrd Dave Woods

That's great news, the return of the 3 game day. What they need to do now is shorten the gap between the main curtain raiser and the main game. Right now, the NYC game ends about an hour before the main game starts, so if you want to watch the 20's, you then have to sit around for an hour watching the pre match 'entertainment' and the teams warming up. Up until the NYC became the main curtain raiser, the reserve grade would finish about 10-15 minutes before the NRL game, so you could get there, watch the last 20-30 minutes of reserves, and then it was just getting them off, doing the anthem and the team introductions, and then the main game was ready to go.

4. Joshhh

This is the main squad that i think will be used to start the season off atleast. Although i really hope Ross & Mantellato work their way in & impress Stone because they're both guys that need gametime.

1. Kevin Naiqama
    2. Peter Mata'utia > Josh Mantellato
    3. Joseph Leilua > Nathan Ross
    4. Siuatonga Likiliki
    5. Anthony Quinn > Chanel Mata'utia
    6. Ryan Stig
    7. Adrian Davis
    8. Zane Tetevano > Toka Likiliki
    9. Chris Adams > Chad Redman
    10. David Fa'alogo > Paterika Vaivai
    11. Robbie Rochow
    12. Marvin Filipo
    13. Matt Hilder > Tyler Randell

14. Will Smith
    15. Mitchell Frei
    16. Rodney Mason
    17. Korbin Sims

* Adam Clydsdale - NYC eligible
    * Pat Mata'utia - NYC eligible
    * Ben Roose - NYC eligible
    * Aaron Whitchurch - may or may not sign with us

5. ASJ82

ASJ82 Todd Bates

Mech Fitter
    Chad redman still playing for us?

6. Joshhh

Yep

Capture.PNG

7. slotmachine

slotmachine Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Likiliki did an ACL, he won't be sighted until mid season at best.

8. footin mouth

footin mouth Tony Kemp

Which player will be the leading points scorer this year for the knights and NSW cup?

9. Joshhh

Stone’s juggling act

[​IMG]

Rick Stone is looking forward to the challenge of coaching the NSW Cup team this season while maintaining his NRL assistant coach role.

“It is great to be back doing some grassroots coaching,” Stone told newcastleknights.com.au.

“It keeps me busy and continues to challenge me but I am enjoying my time with the NSW Cup squad and helping them improve as individual players.”

Stone said while there will be times throughout the season that he won’t be able to attend first grade games, the Club will benefit from the direct link his new role will provide between the two teams.

“We have a squad of 30 at the moment, made up of players who have moved up from the NYC as well as some blokes from the local competition and fringe NRL players,” he explained.

“Even though Wayne (Bennett) and I are coaching the same philosophies, I am not a clone of him and bring my own style of coaching to the table.

“Hopefully the boys enjoy that and respond well to me.”

Stone said one challenge he is looking forward to is developing the skills of the young players who have graduated from the under 20’s this year.

“We have had Chad Redman, Tyler Randall and Chanel Mata’utia come to us (from training with the NRL squad) in recent weeks and they have all been impressive,” he added.

“This will be their first chance to play in the NSW Cup with some seasoned NRL players.

“The squad is starting to build and we have a good mix of experienced and young players.”

http://www.newcastleknights.com.au/news-display/Stones-juggling-act/67515

10. Billy

Billy Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

The interesting thing about that article is that it implies that Sims and Will Smith have kept their spots in the senior squad - and photos of training after christmas show Pat Mataútia and Clydesdale still running around.

11. Ms.Nobody

Ms.Nobody Banned

If Josh Mantellato is sticking around with the Knights this year then I cant see why he wont go back to back.

If he goes to Wyong, I worry they wont score enough points for him to kick enough goals etc.

He should have the #2 spot sewn up in NSW Cup for me after his efforts last year.

12. Junior11

Junior11 Moderator Moderator

Mantellato has got it in the bag, dead set legend that guy.

Yup, it's going to be interesting

We have Kev, Mantellato, BJ, Quinn, both Chanel and Pete, Nathan Ross, Likiliki and Will Smith I assume all competing for 5 spots in the backline. No idea what they're going to do.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2013
  13. slotmachine

Get Quinn playing 2nd row.

With Mantellato and Chanel getting named for yesterdays game you would think they're behind in the pecking order.

14. Junior11

I think they just wanted to try get Mantellato a game after breaking his arm and toe like they did with Pete but he still hasn't got clearance yet so I don't think it's a case of him being behind in the pecking order, just really wanting him to get some game time after suffering those 2 nasty injuries.

For me, Kev and Mantellato should be the first 2 picked in the backline. The rest is anyones guess.

15. jamesgould

jamesgould Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus Staff Member Admin

Is Mantellato definitely with us? If he was listed for yesterday's game then I'm guessing he's not in our top 30, and Wyong is still an option?

Either way I guarantee we have at least one injury in our first grade or NSW Cup backline for 90% of our games next season and all those players who are fit get a game.

16. footin mouth

footin mouth Tony Kemp

My understanding is that Mantellato wants to stay at the Knights.

17. Junior11

I sure as hell hope he does!!

18. slotmachine

If everyone is fit does he even get a game though? At Wyong he would be playing every week.

19. footin mouth

footin mouth Tony Kemp

You make a valid point

20. Junior11

Knights v Wolves
    6pm, Sunday February 17
    Lyall Peacock Ovall

NSW Cup Knights squad:
    1. Dan Randall, 2. James Coote, 3. Dale Clacherty, 4. Michael Mate, 5. Marco Delapena, 6. Tyler Randall, 7. Adrian Davies, 8. Dylan Smith, 9. Chad Redman, 10. Ben Tupou, 11. Kailem Perkins, 12. Simon Allen, 13. Brenton Horwood
    Interchange: 14. Pat Murphy, 15. Lewis Schneider, 16. Tom Lidden, 17. Junior Afu, 18. Bobby Nona, 19. Jacob Sinclair, 20. Dylan Hartin

http://www.newcastleknights.com.au/news-display/Knights-name-NYC-and-NSW-Cup-squads/68353

I have absolutely no idea who any of those are apart from Mate, Randall, Davis, Redman, Tupou and Smith.

Any tips Billy?? I don't think too many of them played in the last trial?

At least they're only versing the wolves this time so it should be more even but still, looking forward to their last trial so we can get an idea of what the real round 1 side will look like

Last edited: Feb 14, 2013