2013 NRL Player Rumours & Signings

Whare a Panther through 2017

NRL.com
4:00pm Fri 13th December, 2013

New Zealand represenatative centre Dean Whare has agreed to a three-year extension of his current contract to stay on at Penrith until the end of the 2017 season.

Whare joined the Panthers at the end of 2012 from Manly and has gone from strength to strength over the past year, culminating in an outstanding performance for the Kiwis at the recent World Cup.

Panthers Executive General Manager Phil Gould rates Whare as one of the top centres in the NRL.

“Dean Whare was one of the real success stories at Panthers in season 2013," Gould said. "He came to the club for an opportunity to play regular first grade and has now established himself as a representative centre of the highest order.

“I have no doubt Dean’s best football is still in front of him and we feel very lucky to have him at Panthers for the next four seasons. Dean thoroughly deserves this new deal.”

Coach Ivan Cleary said Whare had improved beyond all expectations.

"In 12 months Dean has not only cemented an NRL spot, but he’s also excelled at an international level for the Kiwis. He will continue to improve at the Panthers.

"Dean will become a mainstay in our backline over the next four years, whilst we continue to develop exciting youngsters such as Dallin Watene-Zelezniak, George Jennings and James Roberts.”

Dean says he appreciates the club's faith in him.

“I want to thank Gus and the Panthers club for giving me the opportunity to extend my contract. I really love it here, the boys are great to work with, the members and fans are amazing and Penrith feels like home now.”

“I have so much respect for Ivan and I’ve learnt so much under his guidance, and I’m looking forward to furthering my career with the Panthers family.”

http://www.nrl.com/whare-a-panther-through-2017/tabid/10874/newsid/75748/default.aspx

Very good re-signing by Penrith. Will be easy top 5 centre in the game next year. Gus has got this club heading north very quickly. Wish he stuck around and helped the cowboys out a couple years ago.

Rising star Anthony Milford will play for the Canberra Raiders in 2014

535374-d0c5c4bc-63a9-11e3-be16-1445237cc09f.jpg

Anthony Milford will play in Canberra in 2014. Source: Supplied

DALLY M rookie-of-the-year Anthony Milford has returned to the Canberra Raiders.

First line error by Rothfield hahahah

Steve McNamara takes Sydney Roosters post but keeps England job

• AFP
  • AFP
  • DECEMBER 14, 2013 9:31AM

991980-902d865e-6446-11e3-8bef-f68fbd62ade2.jpg

England coach Steve McNamara will join the Sydney Roosters as an assistant Source: News Limited

ENGLAND head coach Steve McNamara confirmed he will join the Sydney Roosters while also keeping his position with the national side on a part-time basis.

The Rugby Football League has agreed to the dual arrangement after McNamara, whose contract with England ended after their World Cup semi-final loss to New Zealand last month, expressed his interest in the assistant coach's job at NRL outfit Sydney.

The 42-year-old former Bradford Bulls boss will join the Roosters as assistant to Trent Robinson before linking up with England during next year's international window.

"I would like to thank the RFL board of directors for giving me this opportunity to carry on working with an outstanding group of players who I firmly believe are on the verge of achieving sustained success," McNamara said.

"I have a great team around me within the England camp and the RFL performance department and I will be maintaining regular contact with them all, as well as all the elite training squad players, following my move to Australia.

"It's always been an ambition of mine to coach in the NRL and the chance to work with the NRL champions is something that doesn't come along very often.

"I have a great relationship with Trent Robinson and am looking forward to working alongside him and the rest of the Roosters staff in what is a very exciting chapter in my career."

There has been no confirmation as to how long this arrangement will continue. England are not yet scheduled to play again until the 2014 Four Nations tournament in Australia and New Zealand at the end of next season.

RFL chief executive Nigel Wood added: "It gives me great pleasure to confirm that Steve has agreed to continue as England coach into 2014 when we will be looking to build on the advances seen over the last four years.

"We have made considerable progress internationally over the past four years and this arrangement provides stability and continuity.

"It also allows Steve and the England coaching staff to continue working towards our goal of achieving the international success we so narrowly missed out on in Rugby League World Cup 2013

"Steve can also realise his own desire to return to club coaching and I am sure his involvement with Sydney Roosters will have a positive impact on his own career development."

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...eeps-england-job/story-fni3gn3s-1226782991436

Gold Coast Suns star Karmichael Hunt is reportedly returning to the Broncos in 2014

KARMICHAEL Hunt is reportedly returning to the Brisbane Broncos in 2014.

According to The Australian newspaper, the AFL convert will end his three-year stint with the Gold Coast Suns and link up with Brisbane within the next two weeks.

His development in the AFL has been hampered by a series of injuries including hamstring tendinitis which developed into a chronic problem and majorly disrupted his 2013 season.

Hunt has been on the radar of a number of NRL clubs looking to persuade the three-code star back to rugby league.

The Gold Coast Titans had also been in talks with Hunt's management during the year with Titans boss Graham Annesley saying they have room in the salary cap to make a play for Hunt.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...-broncos-in-2014/story-fni3gv5x-1226783126466

Why would they need Hunt? They have Barba at fullback and Milford in 2015. Hunt can't play in the halves, from what I remember he sucked when he played there. Unless he plays on the wing but that sounds like a waste.

1. Barba
2. Hoffman
3. Reed
4. Hodges
5. Hunt

Pretty impressive actually if they find form

so many fullbacks, it's stupid if that is under the salary cap he's gotta be wanting a fari bit of money, waste of talent imo, it would be a pretty good backine though

Wouldn't mind seeing Jack Reed move to the back row/lock, but then again they already have way to many in Thaiday, Glenn, Gillet, Parker, Stagg etc.

You know what, stuff it. Broncos problem to sort out...

Hodges will be flat out playing more then 2 games in a row this season. Barba has to be full back. Hunt will play 5/8 u would think, he would be fairly rusty.

I hope either Hunt or Barba play in the halves, such a waste, I'll be more confident versing them with either in the halves compared to both in the backline. But then again they've only got Ben Hunt so either way they have issues. They've lost 3 natural halves in Norman, Prince and Wallace and they're replacing them with 2 fullbacks. Real smart!

I hope either Hunt or Barba play in the halves, such a waste, I'll be more confident versing them with either in the halves compared to both in the backline. But then again they've only got Ben Hunt so either way they have issues. They've lost 3 natural halves in Norman, Prince and Wallace and they're replacing them with 2 fullbacks. Real smart!
when was ben hunt a fullback?

when was ben hunt a fullback?

Means Karmichael hahah its a bit confusing with two hunts. It'd be a bit funny in 2015 to have Barba, Hunt and Milford. It wouldn't be out of the questions to do say 1. KHunt/Barba 6. Barba/Khunt 7. Milford. But thats got extreme defensive issues most likely. If they had to play one of them in centres, I'd probably play KHunt there.

Khunt would be a decent 5/8 he had a reaaonable passing and running game from memory, think the hardest thing for him would be getting his size and skillset up to nrl standard by March.

Without decent halves or a decent Hooker it doesn't matter who they sign...

Hunt isn't a playmaker and will struggle to get back to the form he showed early in his career...

Barba will need time and has alot of work to do to even go close to the form of 2012...

Milford won't be there until 2015...

Hodges career is pretty much done and dusted...

Spine is a big issue and will likely chop and change all season in 2014...

Broncos will struggle to make the top 8 especially with Anthony Griffin as coach...

I really don't get why they would sign Khunt. If they went all after DCE, then 2015 could have looked like 1. Barba 6. Milford 7. DCE and with the forwards they have, that's got title contenders written all over it. Khunt sort of screws everything up

I don't really think Barba has many issues, he was still making chances every now & then like in 2012, I think it was just more a case of him being defended better & the Bulldogs team as a whole not giving him the same chances as 2012.

If the Broncos get him plenty of early ball he will as destructive as ever.

Back