2009 NRL Player Rumours & Signings

And Sydney Roosters have signed a winger that is described as being a combination of Greg Inglis and Israel Folau....His name ... Sisa Waqa.

I hate it when the media hypes new players up to be the next 'insert player here'.

I'm still lol'ing from when the media hyped up Fraser Anderson to be the next SBW.

Smith commits future to the Storm
Melbourne Storm Captain Cam Smith has today committed his long term future to the Club, signing a contract extension that will see him remain in Melbourne until at least the end of the 2012 season.

After attracting intense interest from rival clubs, the Club’s highly credentialed leader has agreed to a new agreement and is excited to be remaining at the Club for the foreseeable future.

“I spoke with a couple of clubs about my future, but I would have found it very difficult to play against the Melbourne Storm,” said Smith.

“This club has been a major part of my life, they gave me my opportunity in the game and have been very good to me, so to sign the new contract was very satisfying.

“We’ve had quite a bit of success here over the past few years, and with Craig re-signing along with Cooper, Greg and a whole host of other players, I don’t see why we can’t be successful for a few more years yet.”

Smith, from the south-Brisbane suburb of Logan, admits the temptation to return to Brisbane was strong.

“The lure of returning to Logan where my family is was strong, particularly with a nine-month old baby girl at home,” said Smith

“But my partner and I are very happy in Melbourne, we have made this place our home and after speaking with a couple of clubs it didn’t take long for us to decide this is where we want to stay.”

Head Coach Craig Bellamy is delighted his Captain has pledged his future to the Club.

“Cam is without doubt the best hooker in the game, and he is central to how we play, so to have him here for the next four years is a wonderful bonus to the Storm,” said Bellamy.

“It would have been impossible to replace Cam with someone of his calibre, both as a player and a leader, so I couldn’t be happier with his decision to stay.”

The re-signing of Smith will be a major boost to the game in Victoria according to Storm CEO Brian Waldron.

“What is most pleasing about Cam’s re-signing is that he has, like many of our players, chosen to remain with us despite there being opportunities to earn more elsewhere. This is testament to the selfless culture this playing group has developed here in Melbourne,” said Waldron.

“Cam’s signing is a major bonus for rugby league in Victoria. His profile in this state’s sporting landscape has grown enormously in recent years and he will continue to play a vital role in the growth of the game’s profile in this market. I know sports fans in this state will be ecstatic with Cam’s decision.”

Smith joined the Storm in 2002, making his NRL debut in the same year filling in at halfback.

Smith won the first of his three straight Storm player-of-the-year awards in 2005, and the following year he won the game’s most coveted individual honour, the Dally M Medal.

In 2007, Smith captained the Storm to their second NRL premiership, defeating the Manly Sea Eagles 34-6; Captained Queensland to their second straight State-of-Origin Series win; and claimed the Golden Boot Award as the world’s best player at year’s end.

Melbourne Storm Media Release

This isn't a rumour but does anyone think there is a possibility that Greg Bird would come to Knights if we overed him a contract. It would be a good change for him and he grew up in Maitland, so he would be close to family. No doubt a quality player that would add something.

I'd take Bird, don't really give a damn about what happens off field, he shouldn't be punished twice for the same crime.

bird at lock would open up an new dimension to our game, its not good what he did but id rather him stay then be lost from the game

This isn't a rumour but does anyone think there is a possibility that Greg Bird would come to Knights if we overed him a contract. It would be a good change for him and he grew up in Maitland, so he would be close to family. No doubt a quality player that would add something.

I can tell you this has been looked at as an option before, but the Knights were not interested. with options Like Zeb Taia, Steve Simpson, Matt Hilder, and even Gidley/Mullen I think we are covered in that position.

We don't want or need him sure he's a good player but not worth the trouble or money that he'd demand

Bird was a Knights junior but was pretty much rubbed out of the Knights because in the juniors his attitude sucked apparently and the coach couldnt criticise or offer advice because he went off his nut...So i doubt they will seek Bird, and we have had enough rubbish at the club with Tilse, Johns, Richards etc... We need to maintain a clean image, we dont need Bird...we have quality players as is!

Bird was a Knights junior but was pretty much rubbed out of the Knights because in the juniors his attitude sucked apparently and the coach couldnt criticise or offer advice because he went off his nut...So i doubt they will seek Bird, and we have had enough rubbish at the club with Tilse, Johns, Richards etc... We need to maintain a clean image, we dont need Bird...we have quality players as is!

was everyone complaining this much when knights signed wes naiqama

was everyone complaining this much when knights signed wes naiqama

I was happy when we signed Wes.

His was repeatedly driving without a license, nothing that actually hurt anybody else.

Glassing your girlfriend is one of the lowest acts I have ever heard ... Bird should be banned for life from league, if you ask me.

.......and we have had enough rubbish at the club with... Johns...

I assume you're not talking about Joey's playing ability. If you're referring to his off-field activities, there is great deal of difference between behaviour influenced by a now-diagnosed mental illness and a vicious assault that was clearly pre-meditated.

I assume you're not talking about Joey's playing ability. If you're referring to his off-field activities, there is great deal of difference between behaviour influenced by a now-diagnosed mental illness and a vicious assault that was clearly pre-meditated.

He was out on the ****, he came home got into an argument with his girlfriend and threw a glass at her. Doesn't really sound very pre-meditated.

Last edited:
Back