2008 Knights Contract and Rumours/Signings

2010 is going to be a big year.

Cross, Sargent, Taia, Houston, Naiqama, Simpson all off. Cross could opt for 1 year more and Simmo most likely hang up the boots.

sarg will be pushing towards the end of his career, and simmo and cross will be pushing retirement. That just leaves the other three, and if they need more money it could easily come from simmo and cross' expense.

Also if Sarge's bad luck continues he will either retire early, the club would let him go, or he wont be worth much on the open market, but hopefully some luck goes his way and he produces some good footy between now and then.

sarg will be pushing towards the end of his career, and simmo and cross will be pushing retirement. That just leaves the other three, and if they need more money it could easily come from simmo and cross' expense.

Also if Sarge's bad luck continues he will either retire early, the club would let him go, or he wont be worth much on the open market, but hopefully some luck goes his way and he produces some good footy between now and then.

So true, I didnt realise he was 28 this year. He will be 30 then, however most props peak and Sarge hasnt reached potential yet.

he reached his potential in 05 i think it was, when he made country origin, but obviously he had had 3 major set backs since then. It will be a lot of hard work for him to get back to that level.

At least at the moment we have only lost Buderus for next year. Resigning's in 2009 is also important ie. Fa’aoso, Paterson etc.

Ohh ok yeah rings a bell now come to think of it. He was a decent player

Sharks are short on FR and apparently he got in a spear tackle and copped a couple of weeks, then the week he returned got in a fight or something and copped 4.

Geez that guy has no discipline!

He got ten in the bin twice last year and in the grand final qualifier for PL then head butted some guy *Shakes Head*

Yep, all done. So weve got Cooper Vuna re-signed & Chris Bailey off to Manly.

What is next, who should we buy? Discuss it here.

Ben Te'o rumour is getting stronger and more convincing by the minute.

Meanwhile, Vuna article a while back.

Vuna extends Knights deal Cooper coup
By BRETT KEEBLE

viewimages

A HOMECOMING visit for his parents' blessing reassured Tongan torpedo Cooper Vuna he was doing the right thing by staying at the Newcastle Knights.

The explosive left winger, who joined the Knights from the New Zealand Warriors midway through last season, has agreed to terms on a two-year contract extension and said he would put pen to paper this week.

The deal was almost over the line last month but negotiations stalled, and even as late as Friday Knights football staff held concerns that it could fall through.

But the 20-year-old shook hands with coach Brian Smith and operations manager Warren Smiles after both men met his parents, John and Ane, during the team's trip to Auckland at the weekend.

Vuna said he and his partner Necia and their nine-month-old son Lincoln were keen to buy a house and establish a permanent base in Newcastle.

"Growing up as a little kid, I always had my parents there for me as my guardians, so I wanted to get them involved so they knew what was going on with contracts and that sort of stuff," Vuna said.

"He [Smith] left it up to me, but he said to go and talk to my parents if I wanted to.

"Coach met them and Smilesy met them at the weekend, and they're all happy with it, so it's sweet.

"My head was really in one place. I tried to stay loyal to one team instead of moving from one place to another, so it's a good thing that the Knights wanted me for another two years. Me and the missus have got some plans for the future.

"We thought it would be good to stay in one place and maybe try to buy a house.

"Now that the contract is out of the way, I can focus on footy and prepare for a big year."

The Knights were pipped 26-20 by the Warriors at Mt Smart Stadium on Sunday, missing out on two precious premiership points, but Smith believed securing Vuna's services for two more years was a valuable investment in the club's future wealth.

Smith said that Vuna had a good chance of representing Tonga or New Zealand in the World Cup this year if he continued to improve.

"Coops has been a bit of a success story among our younger boys," Smith said.

"He took a big step by coming over here last year, and he's taken that first part of his assignment very well. He's made himself into a first-grader, and I know he's got aspirations to go further and play rep footy.

"He's got all the raw ingredients for that because he's got speed and he's a big strong fella. Now it's up to him to keep working on his game and improving."

Vuna's retention comes two months after the Knights re-signed right winger James McManus until the end of 2011.

Cross, MacDougall back to bolster Knights, Page 60
Herald

Scott Dureau 2008
Marvin Karawana 2008
Adam MacDougall 2008
Jesse Royal 2008
Matt White 2008
Cooper Vuna 2008

We should re-sign those three players and let Mad Dog go. I'm not too sure about the other two as I haven't seen them play that much.

I would prefer

Gids
Uate
Macmanus
Naqama
Vuna

Defensive centres with explosive wingers, with a young team we are goin to throw the ball around, might as well have the wingers to finish it off.

But Harris has impressed me but i think cause of his good form and country origin selection his asking price might be a little steep.

Back